How did y'all gain your weight?

Options

Replies

• lizzie82088
    lizzie82088 Posts: 12
    Options
    Dramatic shift in metabolism. Hit incredibly suddenly at age 22. It was traumatic.
  • angeliis02
    angeliis02 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I've always been big but in the past few months I:
    ~stopped taking my thyroid meds properly
    ~went on prednisone
    ~quit taking my birth control pills

all of those along with having a fast food addiction and I put on 15 pounds in a hurry, putting me back to my highest weight in 5 years.
  • happyhaunt
    happyhaunt Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Stress and depression led me to binge eating :(
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,032 Member
    Options
    well the obvious is eating more than I burned but the factors of getting older and still eating the same, (I am in my 40s and for woman there is a reduction in fat burning anyway) changing to a home based job with travel across the country (meaning no movement most days followed by eating bad food from sandwich stands) and kids growing up so no longer running all round the place after them. Even having a slightly tidier house now that they are adults means less activitiy for me.
  • crimznrose
    crimznrose Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Had preterm labor at 5months along with my 1st child, then got put on bed rest for months. Gained 80lbs with that child. Then after my 2nd went on depo for 5 years. Could lose a pound even if I starved myself.
  • shelbynicole32
    shelbynicole32 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Birth control. If I had to do it all over again, would never go on depo provera or the patch EVER!

Oh my goodness YES, I know the feeling!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Very slowly, over fifteen years of marriage and a desk job. I gained 3-4 pounds a year over 15 years. One day, I woke up 39 years old and 50 pounds overweight! LOL

To put it in mathematical terms... basically, I got there by overeating an average of ONLY 30-40 calories more than my TDEE each day, and doing nothing to nip the gain in the bud.

This happened despite the fact that I was a regular exerciser and an overall healthy person.

It's kind of scary how easily the pounds can creep up on you!
  • Funsoaps
    Funsoaps Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Me too, it's the past...I can't make any more excuses, I am knowledgeable about how to lose wt with thyroid conditions, so there are no more excuses.

kids, traveling for work, thyroid issues, steroids from MS relapse etc etc...

But that is the past and no more excuses!!!!!
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I used my 2 year old as an excuse for the shape I had gotten into. I have never in my life been overweight before, and although I look okay (normal BMI, okay BF%), I'm not okay with how I look and how unfit I've become.
  • coyoteo
    coyoteo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I had an eating disorder in high school, so I already sucked at eating healthy, then I started using depo provera and gained 75 terrible pounds. Then I just kinda gave up. Getting my *kitten* back together now though. :)
  • sfoxy219
    sfoxy219 Posts: 103
    Options
    I was a fat kid because my mom made massive meals and you HAD to eat everything on your plate. I lost that when I moved out at 17. Then gained it a few years later when I moved to a different state. Now here I am.
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    Being pregnant most of my 20's then raising kids and working all of my 30's.....now at almost 40 it's finally time for me!!!
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I gained as a child originally.

We had nightly snack time that consisted of chips, cookies and ice cream (I don't think it's wrong for children to eat these things but I don't believe they should be a nightly event). There was always cookies, and chips around for snacks instead of healthy foods (my hubby grew up with tons of healthy foods around and now chooses to eat brocolli and carrots instead of the chips I reach for).

We also had to finish our plates at meal times. I didn't learn to stop when I wasn't hungry.

I lost a lot of weight a few years ago. Transferred jobs, moved away from friends and family and had very long days. I gained my weight back due to multiple double double coffees in a day, bagel with cream cheese every morning, A & QW for lunch (or pizza) and a bag of chips on the way home.

I am now trying to retrain myself. Learning from my hubby who didn't learn the bad habits I did.
  • Funsoaps
    Funsoaps Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I am curvy, like an hourglass figure or pear so I can put on 30 lbs or lose it without people noticing much because it's an even wt loss from head to toe. So yes it can creep up, but I test my thyroid with regularity now AND weigh myself daily to keep myself accountable and of course MFP is helping.

Very slowly, over fifteen years of marriage and a desk job. I gained 3-4 pounds a year over 15 years. One day, I woke up 39 years old and 50 pounds overweight! LOL

To put it in mathematical terms... basically, I got there by overeating an average of ONLY 30-40 calories more than my TDEE each day, and doing nothing to nip the gain in the bud.

This happened despite the fact that I was a regular exerciser and an overall healthy person.

It's kind of scary how easily the pounds can creep up on you!
  • DGK12
    DGK12 Posts: 117
    Options
    2 kids, thyroid issues, and my love of anything sweet and crunchy ><.
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Ignorance + excuses.
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Miscarriage, depression
  • Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    One box of Cheezits at a time. Ugh, I had no self control.
  • PrncessBre
    PrncessBre Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Gained twenty pounds each time being pregnant with my boys and an additonal 10 with birth control. All in a matter of five years:grumble:
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I like to eat lol :bigsmile: Actually I've maintained a healthy weight most of my adult life (I was a chubby child). Up until recently it's been relatively easy to maintain. I say relatively because it DID take discipline, healthy dietary habits and exercise. But now that menopause has hit it has become wayyyyyy harder!!!!!! I have to be right on point to stay where I want to be:grumble: