How did y'all gain your weight?

Options

Replies

• BigMech
    BigMech Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I was always heavy from childhood. Really packed it on in college, eating and drinking too much and not doing any exercise. About 13 years ago, I had lost 100lbs or so by exercising like mad for about 2 years, but I didn't make any long term changes to my eating habits, so I gained it all back and more. Until this go around, I hadn't made any effort to track how many calories I was eating. Looking back, it is pretty shocking what I used to eat in a day!
  • linscave
    linscave Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I was always slim then put on 35lbs when pregnant. lost a bit of it then got PND gained some more then managed to lose all of it 3yrs ago. This year have been diagnosed with CFS which stopped me exercising so I started comfort eating. So here I am again hoping to get healthy again but this time sadly without the exercise!
  • DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    I got pregnant.

I got toxemia and gained 100lbs.

Smh....
  • Linbo93
    Linbo93 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Bounced between starving and overeating and I killed my metabolism along the way!
  • SandraD89
    SandraD89 Posts: 809
    Options
    pregnancy, then after i lost 30lbs it was pure laziness with food and everything to keep that extra 30 on.
  • Sheilav330
    Sheilav330 Posts: 57
    Options
    I gained my weight after i turned 30 and have PCOS and metabolic syndrome. it's been hard to drop the lbs so i don't weight my self every week but i do loose 1lbs every 2 weeks though it is a slow process but the exercising is improving my symptoms and the inches are coming off so that's very good :)..just have to keep going.one day at a time.
  • britaut2
    britaut2 Posts: 19
    Options
    I gained mine after separating from my exhusband. Left with a two children, both parents seriously ill, and working full time. Food was comfort. I went on Zoloft for depression and I think that contributed alot to the weight gain. I am an emotional stress eater. I love sweets too.
  • alexandradeyl
    alexandradeyl Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    active addiction, taco bell, mountain dew
  • SexyCook
    SexyCook Posts: 2,253 Member
    Options
    I gained mine in the 20's to....Depressed, bad relationship, and my mom passing...Just life....It take alot to balance if you mind set isn't there all the way!
  • TinnedTuna
    TinnedTuna Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Ice cream & chocolate are my downfall. i went cold turkey on them, missing them but holding out, hopefully i will be victorious
  • ckisling
    ckisling Posts: 7
    Options
    30 pounds first semester freshman year of college, and eating badly after that....
  • Crucker73
    Crucker73 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    After my second child was born in 2000 I was 135lbs. Right after that, my husband lost his job and injured his back so he was out of work for 2 years. I am a serious stress eater so needless to say, there was a lot of stress in my life at that time. I was eating fatty foods and drinking Pepsi by the case. So here we are in 2012 and I walked by a mirror and didn't recognize myself. The most I have ever weighed was 217 lbs in Feb 2012.
  • jannalynne07
    jannalynne07 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Undereating b/c of a breakup, losing a ton of weight and then eating normal, gaining all of what I lost back and then some.
  • rmh2280
    rmh2280 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    PCOS issues from my teens..Have been heavy my entire life pretty much.

We have that in common!
  • perfect10isha
    perfect10isha Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Two pregnancies. Gained about 35 pounds the first time, and hung on to about 10 of those pounds and then got pregnant again and gained another 35 pounds on top of that 10. So when it was all said and done, I was about 20 pounds overweight 6 weeks post partum. With MFP and working out I'm smaller than I was before I got pregnant the first time (5 lbs).
  • gseburn
    gseburn Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I did it with purpose. 5x5 strength training program and 3,500 calories per day.

Nice. :-) Coming out of high school I was 167 lbs. at 6'3" In the 1990's I was 190 and lean. Now I'm 200 and squishy in the middle.
  • likeschocolate
    likeschocolate Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Eating.

Word. In the words of the purple dino...

I love food, food loves me. we're a happy family.
    With a great big hug, and kiss from hershey too
    My waist says food loves me too
  • Tori_356
    Tori_356 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    One calorie over maintenance.

just one? :laugh:
  • vallemic
    vallemic Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    By eating WAY too much!
  • grneyety
    grneyety Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Genetics, eating, laziness....

I like that you mention genetics. I truly believe they play a big part in it. Although the emotional eating and rewarding myself with food (like I was a freaking puppy) did not help either.