Home school vs public school?

Options

Replies

• _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    "Teaching would be a lot easier if parents weren't so uninvolved and actually cared about their child's education more".

I completely agree with this. I've met a variety of families over my years of teaching, and one thing the most successful students have in common is a solid home life with consistency, communication, and trust. Trust that the teacher is doing their job, and trust that the student will be held accountable for his or her work.

When I first read that first quote, I read it as 'Teaching would be a lot easier if parents weren't so *involved*....' Mainly, because that was what I experienced.

My oldest attended 1st grade for about 6 weeks before he crashed and burned. But, before we withdrew him, we went to parents' night, and were told what our 'involvement' was expected to be: feeding our kids, making sure they had enough sleep, and getting them out to the bus on time. All that sounded very 'hands off' to me, since all that custodial care was the bare minimum I was providing my child. I expected to be a lot more involved than that.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    From the point of view of a "certified, licensed school teacher," homeschooling can be suspicious. I have seen it done terribly - to the point where DHS gets involved - and I have seen it done perfectly.

It shouldn't really seem suspicious. In the state of Florida, if I am not mistaken, if you are a home schooler you are *required* to show some form of progress to show that your child isn't falling behind.

Many States are this way, if I am not mistaken.
  • _VoV
    Options
    From the point of view of a "certified, licensed school teacher," homeschooling can be suspicious. I have seen it done terribly - to the point where DHS gets involved - and I have seen it done perfectly.

It shouldn't really seem suspicious. In the state of Florida, if I am not mistaken, if you are a home schooler you are *required* to show some form of progress to show that your child isn't falling behind.

Some states do. But here in Connecticut, the state statutes merely say that children are expected to be educated in various academic subjects, including Connecticut history. The responsibility, according to state law, falls on the parents to see this is accomplished. Even filing a notice of intent to home-school with the public schools is suggested, not mandated by the state education department, not the legislation. Since it is not law, home schoolers can fly solo if they like. This may make some people nervous, but what I saw firsthand through the various home-school groups we joined was a lot of diverse styles of conscientious home-schooling. And most things came out in the wash, as the old expression goes.
  • tquig
    tquig Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Again, I want to re-iterate that the most important part of a home school program is the parent's ability to keep their child on track and focused. Also, it's important to note that curriculums change all the time as well as state standards. To choose a program that is outdated and assume it's okay can be destructive. I teach language arts and science. I am only licensed to teach 4-9 grade. I would never be able to step into a high school biology classroom and assume I know what I'm doing. The same with algebra, calculus, physics, etc. To think that a parent without much of a college background can "teach" their child concepts that they themselves are not familiar enough with, is ridiculous. That's why teaching is a professional job requiring extensive training and retraining just to get and keep a license. It is far more complicated than what many parents think. Personally, I couldn't homeschool my own kids -- they'd drive me nuts.

Look at it this way - would you want someone without a medical license examining your child? Would you claim to know how to diagnose and treat your child's illness "at home"? A big risk, huh? Would you want your child's education to be put at risk?

This ^^^^

I think many times parents are trying to do the right thing for their children but don't truely understand how difficult of a task it can be to actually conduct a successfull home-schooling program. It isn't just as simple as reading from a couple of books each day. Yes, there are many success stories but a lot more failures.

Really? There are a lot more failures? What are you basing this assumption on? Because national statistics would disagree with you.

Actually no they don't. The major studies conducted and publicized on homeschooling vs. public schooling results are sponsored by the pro-home-schooling organization the National Home Education Research Institute- go figure. Also any comparison between ACT / SAT scores shows they are nearly equal between both education paths. The problem is this only reflects the kids pursuing college. When I was in the Army I spent a tour in the recruiting command. Home schooled kids pursuing the military had the lowest scores on the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB). The majority of them barely met the minimum qualifications for enlisting.

I am not against home-schooling, btw. I just think many parents jump into it without truely understanding the commitment or without having the ability to educate their children as well as a traditional public school.
  • LillysGranny
    LillysGranny Posts: 431
    Options
    I think your parents should consider putting your sister in a confidence building activity like martial arts. I've seen kids go from scared to say hello to strong leaders in just a few months! With summer break coming, there might be just enough time for her to feel better about school by the fall. I know children who are receiving excellent educations at home, but I just don't think running away from the world is the best way to learn how to deal with it--which we all must do sooner or later.

Agree and disagree.

My kids and I all have black belts in Shaolin Kempo Karate. I have no doubt it helped their confidence, and the fact that we did this as a family was also important. However, I disagree that homeschooling is "running away from the world." The Karate class is itself an excellent example of how our kids learned about facing the world. Their group classes, by the way, were all homeschoolers and scheduled at a convenient time when public school was in session and there weren't so many students that they couldn't get private attention. Homeschooling also has advantages for taking trips to the seashore after school has started in September, but I digress.

I hope you noticed that I did say I know many kids receiving excellent educations at home--I definitely do not think homeschooling is bad. BUT if it is being considered solely as a way to deal with social issues, then it can certainly be running from the problem instead of really solving it.
  • Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    Bottom line: Each parent has to make the best choices they can for there child. All we can do is speak in general we dont know you or your family. It is good to get the facts but bottom line to each or us is we have to make our own choices. I hope your sister will be ok.
  • _VoV
    Options
    I think your parents should consider putting your sister in a confidence building activity like martial arts. I've seen kids go from scared to say hello to strong leaders in just a few months! With summer break coming, there might be just enough time for her to feel better about school by the fall. I know children who are receiving excellent educations at home, but I just don't think running away from the world is the best way to learn how to deal with it--which we all must do sooner or later.

Agree and disagree.

My kids and I all have black belts in Shaolin Kempo Karate. I have no doubt it helped their confidence, and the fact that we did this as a family was also important. However, I disagree that homeschooling is "running away from the world." The Karate class is itself an excellent example of how our kids learned about facing the world. Their group classes, by the way, were all homeschoolers and scheduled at a convenient time when public school was in session and there weren't so many students that they couldn't get private attention. Homeschooling also has advantages for taking trips to the seashore after school has started in September, but I digress.

I hope you noticed that I did say I know many kids receiving excellent educations at home--I definitely do not think homeschooling is bad. BUT if it is being considered solely as a way to deal with social issues, then it can certainly be running from the problem instead of really solving it.

If you work in a hostile work environment with co-workers who disrespect and undermine you, and you seek other employment, do you consider that "running from the problem instead of really solving it"? This happens all the time.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options

Some states do. But here in Connecticut, the state statutes merely say that children are expected to be educated in various academic subjects, including Connecticut history. The responsibility, according to state law, falls on the parents to see this is accomplished. Even filing a notice of intent to home-school with the public schools is suggested, not mandated by the state education department, but that is not law. So home schoolers can fly solo if they like. This may make some people nervous, but what I saw firsthand through the various home-school groups we joined was a lot of diverse styles of conscientious home-schooling. And most things came out in the wash, as the old expression goes.

Same in Jersey.

Sure, there are some bad apples....like in all things.....but with good parenting....like in all things.... It works very well.
  • CrazyGraciegirl
    Options
    I am homeschooled and I used to go to public school. A lot of students at public schools aren't very nice and that's probably another reason she doesn't want to go. I have only been in for 2 years now and I have grown academically way more than I would have at a traditional school. There are more opportunities open for her and she'll probably become closer with your parents.

I used K12, which is an online public school, this just means that it goes by all the state's standards so if she wanted to go back into public school there would be no problem.

The only downsides I've found about homeschooling, is that you get really lonely. Well, I'm not in any groups though so that's a solution your parents could use if she misses having her friends around.
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    I know a few kids who were home schooled who turned out fine - but they were normal to begin with. If she has a disorder she should go to regular school or end up like the physcopath I live with.

Ridiculous. I am normal, thank you very much :angry:
  • thomassd1969
    thomassd1969 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I have 5 children. My older three were homeschooled from 9th grade on. The program I used was strictly old school. There were no computers. They had to read and then reguratate what they learned through essays and written worksheets. They were in charge of their school themselves and they have all 3 graducated with very good averages. They also held down jobs at the same time. My children were raised to be very responsible for themselves. As for the friends issue or social issue. They had the same friends they had in grade school in fact most of their friends were jealous because they were learning at such a faster pace then them because public schools have to tailor the lessons so that every intelligence level can adapt. Probably the only thing I would say they might have missed out on was sports. My boys played football from 4th grade to 8th.
    My younger two are still in school and seem to be thriving so I have not considered taking them out yet. There is just so much wasted time in public schools during the day that you dont even realize it until your kids are home schooled.
  • thomassd1969
    thomassd1969 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Oh and I will warn everyone if homeschooling isnt common in your community then get ready for the "well whats wrong with your kids comment" This used to crack me up when I said they were being homeschooled. The other parents would make comments that my kids got kicked out of school or were drop outs. Oh ya even heard a teacher say that about one of my kids once. Now I just laugh at those parents that said harsh things because their kids are either still at home at 22 or addicted to drugs and alcohol. Mine are 18, 21, and 23 all with full time jobs making 30-40 thousand dollars each! Shows you what thinking outside the box, not following the norm, and teaching your kids to be responsible for their own lives will do. Wish parents would try it.
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Oh and I will warn everyone if homeschooling isnt common in your community then get ready for the "well whats wrong with your kids comment" This used to crack me up when I said they were being homeschooled. The other parents would make comments that my kids got kicked out of school or were drop outs. Oh ya even heard a teacher say that about one of my kids once. Now I just laugh at those parents that said harsh things because their kids are either still at home at 22 or addicted to drugs and alcohol. Mine are 18, 21, and 23 all with full time jobs making 30-40 thousand dollars each! Shows you what thinking outside the box, not following the norm, and teaching your kids to be responsible for their own lives will do. Wish parents would try it.

^^ I love this! Very well said and, by the sound of your kids, congrats on a job well done :flowerforyou:
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    My mom is thinking about homeschooling my eight year old sister. My sister is smart and nice, but she is socially awkward and has really bad anxiety (has meds for it) and this causes her to not want to go to school. My parents are considering homeschool, but I am unsure that it is a good idea. Does anybody have any opinions or experience with this? Thank you!

I was taught at home from the 4th grade on up through graduation. There are MANY resources out there that help parents keep their children on track, from curriculum through the school to places that will keep records for you. And the teachers editions for homeschooling are very detailed. I liked it cause I could go at my own pace, as I always got bored in a regular classroom (they always went too slow for me). And as for social aspects, there are always co-ops and associations that a family can join to get the experiences of field trips, prom and graduation (among other things). I personally (nor my brothers) are socially awkward or stunted nor are we ignorant or behind. I hold my bachelor's in science and my youngest brother striving for medical school (he is transferring to a 4 year university this fall).

Edit: gee I wonder how I graduated high school or college at all... My mom isn't a certified teacher and only had her high school diploma, yet I still did well. By the way, the textbooks are very detailed as well... More so than in traditional schools, because they assume the student is working on their own at some degree, in addition to the very detailed teachers additions, instead of having a teacher fill in the blanks.

You are fortunate you had a mother who put in her time and effort to ensure you had a balanced education. But there are parents out there who can't answer or assist their children in upper grade math concepts, grammar rules, etc, I have had many parents contact me and say "I can't help junior with his grammar, because I haven't had to study this since I was 12 and I don't remember it". If a parent does not understand the content, they are doing a disservice to their child, period. They don't have to be certified teachers, but they do have to be informed enough to help their child.

This is my biggest concern with home schooling. I would be very leery of any child who is "homeschooled" by what I consider to be unqualified adults.. Giving birth to a child does not make you automatically qualified to teach. Being educated does.

My parents couldn't remember how to factor a polynomial. I don't think they even remembered if they ever learned it in the first place (and my dad went to college to become a chemist)... The thing is, we still figured it out with the plethora of resources that were out there.

And to think you spent all that extra time learning how to do it online, when a licensed math teacher could have explained it much better and in less time. ;)

I haven't had time to read the rest of this thread, but I had to literally laugh out loud at this.

I sucked at math. Horribly. So horribly that I was held back in high school because I kept failing at math. I started college at below elementary algebra level, and managed to barely pass those. When I made it to elementary algebra, I took it online. I thought I was nuts to do so, since I sucked at math, but I decided to try it anyway.

I ended up passing the class with an A+. Was it hard? Hell yeah. But I learned better from MyMathLab than I ever did from any math teacher or professor. Not because all of them were bad teachers, but because I learn better independently in some subjects. As do many others.

I have a friend who is homeschooling her 2 small children right now, and as far as I know, plans on educating her youngest when he's old enough, as well. I observed their schooling one day for a project. It was more fulfilling than any classroom setting I'd ever been to. That one day, I learned more, observed more, and saw a better learning environment than an entire summer internship last year. Her kids could name all 50 states + capitals, and were venturing into world geography (they're 3 and 5). They know more about the political system of the United States than most adults do. Their knowledge of history is at least at the middle-school level. Their reading and writing are up-to-date. And they learned basic mathematics while learning to bake their home-made after-school snack. Is every home-school set-up the same? No. My friend is very much dedicated to her children and family, and works with a homeschooling group of families that meet up at least once a week. However, I know parents who simply let their students work on the computer at independent studying, and they do just fine, as well.

^Positive examples to negate your negative ones, since apparently that's what the bulk of this thread is all about. /sarcasm

Sure, some children haven't done so well with homeschooling. Let's not forget how many kids fail at being public and private school students too, though.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options

Some states do. But here in Connecticut, the state statutes merely say that children are expected to be educated in various academic subjects, including Connecticut history. The responsibility, according to state law, falls on the parents to see this is accomplished. Even filing a notice of intent to home-school with the public schools is suggested, not mandated by the state education department, but that is not law. So home schoolers can fly solo if they like. This may make some people nervous, but what I saw firsthand through the various home-school groups we joined was a lot of diverse styles of conscientious home-schooling. And most things came out in the wash, as the old expression goes.

Same in Jersey.

Sure, there are some bad apples....like in all things.....but with good parenting....like in all things.... It works very well.

That's what I'm talking about. When a program is following standards, is staying in contact with educators, and conscientious parents who are willing to work with their kids, then I'm all for it. Just like lumping all home schools into a category, I refuse to allow anyone to lump education that takes place in a classroom into the same category of ineffectiveness. I gave very legitimate and good reasons when I responded, and I am not going to apologize for my opinion. To be labeled as "spewing educational mumbo jumbo clap trap" is downright rude.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    As a certified, licensed school teacher, I am always concerned when parents pull their children out of regular school and say they will be "homeschooling" their child from that point forward. I will share my reasons below:

4. Schools provide the opportunity for children to learn HOW to get along with others, even if the children are being bullied. Instead of retreating into a "safe" world, it is better to learn how to handle the bullying and work on developing self esteem. Running away from it doesn't build self confidence, it only pushes the real issues aside.

Only a "certified, licensed school teacher" could point to bullying as a positive aspect of school.

Kudos to all the parents who pull their kids out of schools where being picked on and beat up by larger children is seen as a good thing by the adults who run the place.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    4. Schools provide the opportunity for children to learn HOW to get along with others, even if the children are being bullied. Instead of retreating into a "safe" world, it is better to learn how to handle the bullying and work on developing self esteem. Running away from it doesn't build self confidence, it only pushes the real issues aside.
    I work at a private, Catholic school. Our oldest 3 attended Catholic schools (even colleges) and our 2 youngest are in public school (one has autism and one is dyslexic so they need the programs at public schools). However, if I ever felt they were in a place that was unsafe and run by certified, licensed teachers who believe children should be forced to learn to handle bullying or that suggest that people being bullied need to "work on developing self esteem", they'd be out of there and I'd teach them at home. You're not helping argue your point with this one.
  • Marla64
    Options
    As a certified, licensed school teacher, I am always concerned when parents pull their children out of regular school and say they will be "homeschooling" their child from that point forward. I will share my reasons below:

Only a "certified, licensed school teacher" could point to bullying as a positive aspect of school.

OH, Snap!!

:laugh:
  • Marla64
    Options
    I work at a private, Catholic school. Our oldest 3 attended Catholic schools (even colleges) and our 2 youngest are in public school (one has autism and one is dyslexic so they need the programs at public schools). However, if I ever felt they were in a place that was unsafe and run by certified, licensed teachers who believe children should be forced to learn to handle bullying or that suggest that people being bullied need to "work on developing self esteem", they'd be out of there and I'd teach them at home. You're not helping argue your point with this one.

^^ this.
  • _VoV
    Options

Same in Jersey.

That's what I'm talking about. When a program is following standards, is staying in contact with educators, and conscientious parents who are willing to work with their kids, then I'm all for it. Just like lumping all home schools into a category, I refuse to allow anyone to lump education that takes place in a classroom into the same category of ineffectiveness. I gave very legitimate and good reasons when I responded, and I am not going to apologize for my opinion. To be labeled as "spewing educational mumbo jumbo clap trap" is downright rude.

I don't understand what you are saying. For my part of this thread, I said that many home-schoolers in CT fly solo WITHOUT any contact with educators. I would have disliked oversight, and micromanagement by our local school system, since I was no fan of their methods and philosophies in the first place. This state-sanctioned freedom allowed me to develop my own curriculum, and provide optimal challenge to my children. This is why my son graduated college and entered law school at age 19. It's also why my 16 year-old is earning her associate's degree next week, and transferring to university as a Junior. Neither of them are geniuses, but the efficiency of our homeschooling model allowed them to cover more ground in less time. So, if what you said above is implying that home-schooling is in a 'category of ineffectiveness', I'm baffled.

I also don't think you are 'spewing educational mumbo jumbo clap trap', and must have missed any post that accused you of that. This has been one of the most polite discussions of this subject that I have ever read.