Home school vs public school?

Options

Replies

• christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    The people that I've known who have been homeschooled are more socially awkward. Yes, you avoid bullies and such but you also don't interact the same way with others. To me, if your sister has problems socially, she should stay in school and learn to interact with others. But it your family's decision!
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    As a certified, licensed school teacher, I am always concerned when parents pull their children out of regular school and say they will be "homeschooling" their child from that point forward. I will share my reasons below:

4. Schools provide the opportunity for children to learn HOW to get along with others, even if the children are being bullied. Instead of retreating into a "safe" world, it is better to learn how to handle the bullying and work on developing self esteem. Running away from it doesn't build self confidence, it only pushes the real issues aside.

Only a "certified, licensed school teacher" could point to bullying as a positive aspect of school.

Kudos to all the parents who pull their kids out of schools where being picked on and beat up by larger children is seen as a good thing by the adults who run the place.

Oh thank goodness. I thought I was the only one seeing that.

Bullying is such a GOOD thing for kids. That's why there are so many programs trying to STAMP OUT bullying.
  • VegesaurusRex
    VegesaurusRex Posts: 1,018
    Options
    From the point of view of a "certified, licensed school teacher," homeschooling can be suspicious. I have seen it done terribly - to the point where DHS gets involved - and I have seen it done perfectly.

It shouldn't really seem suspicious. In the state of Florida, if I am not mistaken, if you are a home schooler you are *required* to show some form of progress to show that your child isn't falling behind.

Many States are this way, if I am not mistaken.

Some states do. But here in Connecticut, the state statutes merely say that children are expected to be educated in various academic subjects, including Connecticut history. The responsibility, according to state law, falls on the parents to see this is accomplished. Even filing a notice of intent to home-school with the public schools is suggested, not mandated by the state education department, but that is not law. So home schoolers can fly solo if they like. This may make some people nervous, but what I saw firsthand through the various home-school groups we joined was a lot of diverse styles of conscientious home-schooling. And most things came out in the wash, as the old expression goes.

Same in Jersey.

Sure, there are some bad apples....like in all things.....but with good parenting....like in all things.... It works very well.

That's what I'm talking about. When a program is following standards, is staying in contact with educators, and conscientious parents who are willing to work with their kids, then I'm all for it. Just like lumping all home schools into a category, I refuse to allow anyone to lump education that takes place in a classroom into the same category of ineffectiveness. I gave very legitimate and good reasons when I responded, and I am not going to apologize for my opinion. To be labeled as "spewing educational mumbo jumbo clap trap" is downright rude.

Wordnerd, since I am the father of the kids referred to and the husband of VonV, I have to say that I think you misunderstood what was said. We never stayed in contact with "educators" other than other parents. We did follow the standards which were all substantive, not procedural, i.e. we taught in subject areas we were required to teach in, among others.

I respectfully disagree with your "legitimate and good reasons" but I don't recall reading any post that called your reasons "educational mumbo jumbo." I dispute the validity of your reasons, however, and can state that they are not true about either home schoolers or the government schools that I am aware of.
  • thebutteredtoast
    Options
    I haven't read the rest of the thread, but since I went to public school, was homeschooled AND cyberschooled over the course of my educational journey I would have to say that it would depend on the individual and what THEY want. I didn't strive in my public school: they didn't move fast enough for me and I was always ahead of the other kids, because of this my mom pulled me out to homeschool me. I didn't like it at all so I went back to public school and had the same issues. We found cyberschool and I went to one in PA called PALCS. It was without a doubt the best experience of my life. Not only was I being taught by real teachers instead of my parents, but there were many activities for the students to meet up at and many programs to be involved with. You CAN still join sports and I don't know about where you live, but in PA it was against the law to deny a homeschooled / cyberschooled kid a chance to join a sports team at the home school's team. So all that mumbo jumbo about homeschooled/cyberschooled kids being 'left out' of things is completely bogus.

In the end, it's what the child feels most comfortable with and what the parents feel would be best for their child. I will always support cyberschooling over homeschooling though, just because you have teachers showing you the work, grading it and you will have that one-on-one time with them via webcam chatrooms and the like.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    As a certified, licensed school teacher, I am always concerned when parents pull their children out of regular school and say they will be "homeschooling" their child from that point forward. I will share my reasons below:

4. Schools provide the opportunity for children to learn HOW to get along with others, even if the children are being bullied. Instead of retreating into a "safe" world, it is better to learn how to handle the bullying and work on developing self esteem. Running away from it doesn't build self confidence, it only pushes the real issues aside.

Only a "certified, licensed school teacher" could point to bullying as a positive aspect of school.

Kudos to all the parents who pull their kids out of schools where being picked on and beat up by larger children is seen as a good thing by the adults who run the place.

^LIKE
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the rest of the thread, but since I went to public school, was homeschooled AND cyberschooled over the course of my educational journey I would have to say that it would depend on the individual and what THEY want. I didn't strive in my public school: they didn't move fast enough for me and I was always ahead of the other kids, because of this my mom pulled me out to homeschool me. I didn't like it at all so I went back to public school and had the same issues. We found cyberschool and I went to one in PA called PALCS. It was without a doubt the best experience of my life. Not only was I being taught by real teachers instead of my parents, but there were many activities for the students to meet up at and many programs to be involved with. You CAN still join sports and I don't know about where you live, but in PA it was against the law to deny a homeschooled / cyberschooled kid a chance to join a sports team at the home school's team. So all that mumbo jumbo about homeschooled/cyberschooled kids being 'left out' of things is completely bogus.

In the end, it's what the child feels most comfortable with and what the parents feel would be best for their child. I will always support cyberschooling over homeschooling though, just because you have teachers showing you the work, grading it and you will have that one-on-one time with them via webcam chatrooms and the like.

Kelley-- we've had friends do the cyber school in PA who also have enjoyed it. I'm in Jersey, right across the border from PA. Here in New Jersey, the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association recently changed its bylaws, now granting access to homeschooled students.

But--

they left it up to each school district to decide eligibility. My lovely district has decided that eligibility #1 is "must be enrolled in school." Gee, tanks for nuttin.

I've contacted my state Senator and Assemblymen and supposedly legislation is underway similar to PA-- but, we'll see.
  • Marla64
    Options
    From the point of view of a "certified, licensed school teacher," homeschooling can be suspicious. I have seen it done terribly - to the point where DHS gets involved - and I have seen it done perfectly.

It shouldn't really seem suspicious. In the state of Florida, if I am not mistaken, if you are a home schooler you are *required* to show some form of progress to show that your child isn't falling behind.

Many States are this way, if I am not mistaken.

Some states do. But here in Connecticut, the state statutes merely say that children are expected to be educated in various academic subjects, including Connecticut history. The responsibility, according to state law, falls on the parents to see this is accomplished. Even filing a notice of intent to home-school with the public schools is suggested, not mandated by the state education department, but that is not law. So home schoolers can fly solo if they like. This may make some people nervous, but what I saw firsthand through the various home-school groups we joined was a lot of diverse styles of conscientious home-schooling. And most things came out in the wash, as the old expression goes.

Same in Jersey.

Sure, there are some bad apples....like in all things.....but with good parenting....like in all things.... It works very well.

That's what I'm talking about. When a program is following standards, is staying in contact with educators, and conscientious parents who are willing to work with their kids, then I'm all for it. Just like lumping all home schools into a category, I refuse to allow anyone to lump education that takes place in a classroom into the same category of ineffectiveness. I gave very legitimate and good reasons when I responded, and I am not going to apologize for my opinion. To be labeled as "spewing educational mumbo jumbo clap trap" is downright rude.

Wordnerd, since I am the father of the kids referred to and the husband of VonV, I have to say that I think you misunderstood what was said. We never stayed in contact with "educators" other than other parents. We did follow the standards which were all substantive, not procedural, i.e. we taught in subject areas we were required to teach in, among others.

I respectfully disagree with your "legitimate and good reasons" but I don't recall reading any post that called your reasons "educational mumbo jumbo." I dispute the validity of your reasons, however, and can state that they are not true about either home schoolers or the government schools that I am aware of.

Well, with all due respect -- "legitimate and good reasons." Legitimate and good according to whom?

• CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options

^LIKE

I'm out of this one. Enjoy.
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options

^LIKE

I'm out of this one. Enjoy.

Woodnerd, they are only quoting what you said, and drawing normal, logical conclusions. You could probably get away with statements like that in the teachers' lounge, but here your logic is seen as faulty, It is pretty much like saying that war is good, because being on a battlefield helps you overcome your fear of dying. You did make a pretty absurd statement. You should either withdraw it or clarify what you meant.
  • fatforthewin
    Options
    I understand your frustrations. I also am a mom, and I agree that public school in the US needs a serious kick in the *kitten*. I abhor NCLB, and feel the testing is ridiculous and not an accurate reflection of a student's ability or intelligence. I also think the testing does not fairly assess student knowledge -- there is more to a student's ability to learn than answering a few test questions.

Applause! :flowerforyou:
    It's that way in college too.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    Options
    I have made myself perfectly clear when it comes to home schooling children. I won't elaborate further, because someone will find a way to twist my words around, and I won't put up with that.

As for my comment "dealing with issues like bullying", perhaps I need to make myself totally clear: I DO NOT TOLERATE BULLYING BEHAVIOR AND WILL DEAL WITH IT IMMEDIATELY. And yes, I HAVE dealt with it in my school numerous times, and will walk over a pile of glass shards, nails and fish hooks to protect a child's welfare.

BUT, I do believe children MUST be given the tools and tactics to deal with social issues like bullying, anxiety, etc. They need to learn how to face their fears, instead of retreat from them. How? I'm not sure, but hiding from the world is not the answer, nor is allowing the bullying behavior to go unnoticed and not addressed. The child must learn to stand up for himself/herself, tell a parent or adult, and not let it go. Bear in mind that MOST bullying behavior happens outside the view or control of a teacher (because, well, that's the best time and place to do it, right?) There is only so much we educators can do -- the rest is up to the child and the parents. If it is the teacher who is bullying the kid, that teacher should be immediately fired, to heck with the contract.

As a parent whose two kids were bullied, AND someone who was bullied herself all through middle school AND high school, I can assure you that my self confidence and self esteem continues to be affected to this day. One of the main reasons I became a middle school teacher is to help students in that age group find their voice and their courage to deal with their issues. That is my JOB as a teacher and role model, and I accept it happily.

A final note: I am also a black belt in tae kwon do. My teenage daughter (the one who has been bullied) takes martial arts as a way to build confidence and self esteem. She is very capable of handling herself in a variety of difficult situations. I totally advocate that children who feel weak and unempowered take confidence building courses, martial arts being one of them. It isn't a license to beat someone up, it's a way to teach discipline, control and empowerment.
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options
    I have made myself perfectly clear when it comes to home schooling children. I won't elaborate further, because someone will find a way to twist my words around, and I won't put up with that.

As for my comment "dealing with issues like bullying", perhaps I need to make myself totally clear: I DO NOT TOLERATE BULLYING BEHAVIOR AND WILL DEAL WITH IT IMMEDIATELY. And yes, I HAVE dealt with it in my school numerous times, and will walk over a pile of glass shards, nails and fish hooks to protect a child's welfare. Enough said.

I believe you, Wordnerd. But nonetheless your phrasing seemed to point out that bullying was overall something beneficial to students.

Also, there is plenty of evidence that homeschoolers do better than average. Here is a CBS report, for example:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505145_162-37242551/can-homeschoolers-do-well-in-college/

I chose this report so you could not claim it was a homeschooling organization that did the research, and was therefore biased. And, as I pointed out previously, homeschooling has two facets which teachers claim are vital to educating a student: Parental Involvement and small classes. There is considerable evidence in fact that homeschooling is the most effective educational model (but I am NOT saying it is for everyone.) It is particularly imporessive how well brighter students do in the home schooling model as compared to the public school model.

In fact I have frequently heard teachers excuse the poor perfomance of certain schools because the students there had little parental involvement. With home schooling parental involvement is 100%, and class size is as small as it can get generally. Based on the results, it is the best educational model. So why aren't you praising homeschooling instead of saying you only approve of it when..... (then comes your list)? Do you have any study or data to suggest that homeschooling doesn''t work as well as people claim? Bear in mind, aprophrypical data cuts in both directions and is not really scientifically valid. I am seriously asking if you have any HARD data or studies debunking the benefits of home schooling. I have honestly never seen any such data or study, and I would be interested if you have.
  • Marla64
    Options
    Rex-- you are my hero.:love::love:
  • CrazyTrackLady
    Options

As for my comment "dealing with issues like bullying", perhaps I need to make myself totally clear: I DO NOT TOLERATE BULLYING BEHAVIOR AND WILL DEAL WITH IT IMMEDIATELY. And yes, I HAVE dealt with it in my school numerous times, and will walk over a pile of glass shards, nails and fish hooks to protect a child's welfare. Enough said.

I believe you, Wordnerd. But nonetheless your phrasing seemed to point out that bullying was overall something beneficial to students.

Also, there is plenty of evidence that homeschoolers do better than average. Here is a CBS report, for example:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505145_162-37242551/can-homeschoolers-do-well-in-college/

I chose this report so you could not claim it was a homeschooling organization that did the research, and was therefore biased. And, as I pointed out previously, homeschooling has two facets which teachers claim are vital to educating a student: Parental Involvement and small classes. There is considerable evidence in fact that homeschooling is the most effective educational model (but I am NOT saying it is for everyone.) It is particularly imporessive how well brighter students do in the home schooling model as compared to the public school model.

In fact I have frequently heard teachers excuse the poor perfomance of certain schools because the students there had little parental involvement. With home schooling parental involvement is 100%, and class size is as small as it can get generally. Based on the results, it is the best educational model. So why aren't you praising homeschooling instead of saying you only approve of it when..... (then comes your list)? Do you have any study or data to suggest that homeschooling doesn''t work as well as people claim? Bear in mind, aprophrypical data cuts in both directions and is not really scientifically valid. I am seriously asking if you have any HARD data or studies debunking the benefits of home schooling. I have honestly never seen any such data or study, and I would be interested if you have.

I'm not AGAINST home schooling, what more do you need from me to hear that? I am AGAINST parents who take a rather lenient approach to home schooling by NOT monitoring their children's work, teaching them irrelevant or incorrect information, allowing the student to learn "whatever" they want instead of what they SHOULD be learning, and parents who are unqualified to teach their children (regardless of having access to the internet). For example, I have seen shows where "homeschool" parents claim their children are learning music. How? They give them an instrument and say "make noise, that's your lesson." How can a parent with NO musical background claim to be able to teach a child all the intricacies of reading notes, doing scales, the circle of fifths, etc, WITHOUT ANY MUSICAL EDUCATION? Or, a parent who takes their children to ride rollercoasters and says "Here's your physics lesson today, up and down we go!" WITHOUT explaining the concepts of terminal velocity, potential versus kinectic energy, inertia, etc. THESE are the people who frighten me - the ones who aren't really "teaching their children" anything practical or in-depth.

Homeschool programs containing curriculum decided by the state, monitored by teachers, and given by parents are the ONLY ones I approve of. The rest are dangerous and do not prepare a child for the real world.

Now, have I made myself TOTALLY CLEAR?
  • CrazyTrackLady
    Options
    I'm going to reply to my own thread. I think taking kids to an amusement park would be an INCREDIBLY effective way to teach physics concepts, and I wholly support this type of learning. But, the experience needs to contain as many "teachable moments" as possible: spinning rides to teach centripetal force, rollercoasters to teach about motion, energy, velocity, inertia, etc. Gaming booths to teach about probability and stats, etc. Real life application can be very educational, provided it is done properly. That's where the "teaching" comes in.

I reinforced the concept of changes of matter by having my students design a menu and cook a meal for their parents as their end of unit test on properties of matter. They had to serve a solid, liquid and gas, a heterogenous substance, a homogenous substance, and two things that go through a physical and chemical change. Their parents had to sign off on the menu after they ate the meal, and the menu was the written evidence.

That is teaching by example, and definitely something they worked on at home.
  • vicki81868
    vicki81868 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    "Homeschool programs containing curriculum decided by the state, monitored by teachers, and given by parents are the ONLY ones I approve of. The rest are dangerous and do not prepare a child for the real world."

Wow. Finally. Someone who was honest enough to say it. The STATE owns the children. The STATE has to decide what is taught to my children to make their education acceptable. Despite hundreds of years of parents educating their children, it is now only teachers who can truly validate a homeschool program.

I pray our country never comes to make your approval standards normative.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    Options
    "Homeschool programs containing curriculum decided by the state, monitored by teachers, and given by parents are the ONLY ones I approve of. The rest are dangerous and do not prepare a child for the real world."

Wow. Finally. Someone who was honest enough to say it. The STATE owns the children. The STATE has to decide what is taught to my children to make their education acceptable. Despite hundreds of years of parents educating their children, it is now only teachers who can truly validate a homeschool program.

I pray our country never comes to make your approval standards normative.

I just can't win, can I? Geesh. I'm OUT.
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options

I'm not AGAINST home schooling, what more do you need from me to hear that? I am AGAINST parents who take a rather lenient approach to home schooling by NOT monitoring their children's work, teaching them irrelevant or incorrect information, allowing the student to learn "whatever" they want instead of what they SHOULD be learning, and parents who are unqualified to teach their children (regardless of having access to the internet). For example, I have seen shows where "homeschool" parents claim their children are learning music. How? They give them an instrument and say "make noise, that's your lesson." How can a parent with NO musical background claim to be able to teach a child all the intricacies of reading notes, doing scales, the circle of fifths, etc, WITHOUT ANY MUSICAL EDUCATION? Or, a parent who takes their children to ride rollercoasters and says "Here's your physics lesson today, up and down we go!" WITHOUT explaining the concepts of terminal velocity, potential versus kinectic energy, inertia, etc. THESE are the people who frighten me - the ones who aren't really "teaching their children" anything practical or in-depth.

Homeschool programs containing curriculum decided by the state, monitored by teachers, and given by parents are the ONLY ones I approve of. The rest are dangerous and do not prepare a child for the real world.

Perhaps.. Perhaps not. It sounded at first that what you were objecting to was unschooling. But when you said, "Homeschooling programs containing curriculum decided by the state, monitored by teachers and given by parents are the only ones I approve of." then it sounded like you were objecting to virtually every homeschooling situation.

First of all, I should tell you that when we decided to homeschool we did so for several reasons, one of which was that we did NOT want the state to tell us what to teach and what our children had to know. Since we were in Connecticut we have complete leeway in any event, but at the time the superintendents were lobbying the legislature to restrict home schooling. To make a long story short, we kicked the superintendents' butts.

The model we used for our home school was the WELL TRAINED MIND. This is a classical homeschooling model based on the trivium, including Latin, rhetoric and other non traditional subjects. Neither my wife nor I have ever taken an education course in our lives, but we both have advanced degrees. We had no problem setting up our home school, and in fact I became the de facto Latin teacher for all the home schoolers in my area. We used a local church and had weekly Latin instruction. (I have studied both classical Greek and classical Latin.)

You are quite correct in saying that we had no subject matter knowledge of certain subjects, although physics was NOT one of those subjects, so we utilized other homeschooing classes (e.g., ballroom dancing, Shaolin Kempo Karate, et al) for some subjects and other resources (outside piano lessions) and the local community college for others. Eventually our kids took so many community college courses they matriculated as degree students and both earned their Associates Degree. My son got his AA when he was 17, then transferred as a junior to the University of Connecticut where he graduated with honors at age 19. My daughter actually earned her associates a year ago when she was 15, but we kept her enrolled in the community college because we didn't want to send a 15 year old off to live in the dorms. She will be receiving her Associates Degree June 1st, and has also been accepted as a transfer student to UConn. My son is finishing up his first year of law school.

What we did saved us a ton of money, and eliminated a lot of what we considered wasteful time. Homeschooling is quite efficient, and has the advantage of allowing a kid to pursue their interests. My daughter, for example is a brilliant (if I do say so myself) creative writer, and she applied to the highly competative Iowa Young Writers' Studio, was accepted and will soon be leaving for that. (600 highly recommended high school and home school kids apply, and only 132 are accepted based their writing sample.)

I am giving you all of this detail because I do want to impress on you the fact that the state's curriculum is not necessarily the best, and it is the essence of democracy that that not everyone be put in the same mold. The cookie cutter mentality is in fact one of my big objections to government schools I really think we did a good job as non-professionals, and we know plenty of others who have done the same. Our kids are above average but not geniuses. I believe that any above average kid can thrive using the strategy we employed, and can do better than if they had stayed in public school. My kids are younger than most college freshmen, and are entering, or have entered the University as juniors. We have saved the cost of two years of education, and we saved years of time.

Homeschooling rules!
  • farm_mamaX9
    farm_mamaX9 Posts: 67
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

I'm sorry. But my children are MY children. They do not and have not ever belonged to the state. The CREATOR of the universe entrusted ME with their lives and souls. I, alone, will be held accountable for their upbringing, not you and certainly not the state. It is my duty to protect them from harm, to raise them to be conscientious, to teach them our beliefs, and to love them unconditionally. If they have all the "education" the world has to offer, yet their souls perish, all is lost. So, as far as I am able, I will protect their hearts, souls and bodies from the nastiness of the world until such a time comes that they are ready to take on the world themselves with firm foundations set in place. I will educate them in the areas that I believe are important to their upbringing, which for us not only includes math, reading, history and science, but most importantly, the Word of G_d.

My oldest will graduated college a year early, my 14 year old has written and published a book, my 16 year old teaches himself chemistry and gets straight A's on all his exams. I'm really not worried about hoping for your or the state's approval.

PS To the moderator, remember how someone complained about skimpy photos and everyone jumped on the person, claiming that we are all adults here? Well, the same applies to this discussion and I would hope that you will not delete my post simply because I shared my reasons for homeschooling my children. Thanks.
  • sweetendeavor
    sweetendeavor Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I just would also like to add that everyone seems to be using examples of people they know in their.

My brother who was homeschooled...

I know a girl who was home schooled and...

You can't make a generalization from one example. Please, let's think scientifically here and stop going off on a whim.

Thanks.

Signed, educational researcher.