Marriage Advice

Options

Replies

• Merrychrissmith
    Merrychrissmith Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    For the man: Pick the hill you want to die on. For example: Who cares what color the walls are, or the furniture style and color. Save a rare veto for something you really don't like or want.

For the woman: Just tell us. We really want to please you. Don't make us guess. Just pisses us off.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Oh and a serious piece of advice... don't let go of your past friends and hobbies (or at least make/learn new ones)... otherwise you will run out of things to talk about... seriously. Just because you are married doesn't mean you can't have somewhat of an independant life anymore.
  • DavetheHYNIC
    DavetheHYNIC Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Get very acquainted with Adam and Eve or Fredericks of Hollywood cause u need to keep your sex life interesting and spicy.

Don't take advice about your marriage from single women in fact dont even discuss your marriage with single women. Ever.

Let your man do his own thing, whether that's play Xbox, watch the games, go shoot pool etc., have your own thing , knitting, being on mfp all day, gym goddess etc.,

Did I mention keep single women out of your marriage?
  • RilantheFirebug
    RilantheFirebug Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    If you know each other well enough to get married, marriage shouldn't be such a shock.

You will probably want to kill each other during planning.
  • Typhanee83
    Typhanee83 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    11.jpg
  • mamamudbug
    mamamudbug Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Oh and a serious piece of advice... don't let go of your past friends and hobbies (or at least make/learn new ones)... otherwise you will run out of things to talk about... seriously. Just because you are married doesn't mean you can't have somewhat of an independant life anymore.

So true.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!!!

*tears*
    *lulz*
    *awwwws*

Here is a quick reply to many great tips:

I make the best sammiches, and I brew the beer, mmkay?
    We have both been in a LOT of therapy, so the whole 'communication' thing comes naturally!
    I already refer to him as my second husband - the first was a dud.
    I'm definitely, for sure, 100% positive this is the guy I want to marry and spend my life with
    We are best friends
    Although we're BFFs, we still have our own lives too!
    Sex comes easy and often, even when he doesn't want to
    "The panties go over the garter" - words to live by.. words to live by..
    We're not having children - so thankfully none of that business is even applicable (thank god)
    Our dogs eat their poop, too!
    We do go to bed angry. Sometimes you gotta step away and cool off. We never go to bed without saying, "I love you." though.
  • cgrigz
    cgrigz Posts: 101
    Options
    don't do it. True story!!!
  • DaBigChief
    DaBigChief Posts: 146
    Options
    Advice...don't post threads on MFP asking guys for pictures of there junk.

Or at least don't let him know you did. :bigsmile:
  • traceyjayne64
    traceyjayne64 Posts: 262
    Options
    remember everyone is different...dont ask for advice, you wont like most of it :smile:
  • k8blujay2
    Options
    If you know each other well enough to get married, marriage shouldn't be such a shock.

You will probably want to kill each other during planning.

Another piece of truth.
  • traceyjayne64
    traceyjayne64 Posts: 262
    Options
    Never go to bed angry.

bad advice ...going to bed angry makes for great sex

pmsl
  • mamamudbug
    mamamudbug Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!!!

*tears*
    *lulz*
    *awwwws*

We have both been in a LOT of therapy, so the whole 'communication' thing comes naturally!
    I'm definitely, for sure, 100% positive this is the guy I want to marry and spend my life with
    We are best friends
    We're not having children - so thankfully none of that business is even applicable (thank god)
    We do go to bed angry. Sometimes you gotta step away and cool off. We never go to bed without saying, "I love you." though.

Awesome! You're all set :wink:

& Congratulations!!!
  • bigtwagner
    bigtwagner Posts: 113
    Options
    The best things in life are also the hardest to accomplish. Never give up! Just like in weight loss, the more you put into it, the more you will get back.
  • k8blujay2
    Options
    YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!!!

*tears*
    *lulz*
    *awwwws*

We are best friends

Yeah but do your dogs eat OTHER people's (yes, people not dogs or animals (though mine eats the poop out of the litter box as well) poop.... funny story about my dog dragging around dirty diapers and tearing them up to get to the poop... Not even kidding. There is a reason we keep the baby's bedroom door closed and a baby gate up going to the laundry room (and it has nothing to do with the baby).
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    There are 3 C's to a long happy marriage:

Communication- if you can't talk to your spouse about troubles, then they can't be resolved
    Compromise - give and take
    Cuddle - never get too busy in life or too old to just take a little time and cuddle with each other.
  • AmyVC123
    AmyVC123 Posts: 13
    Options
    Love it!
  • TK266
    TK266 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Options
    remember that honest communication is the key:

1:Ask him every 20 minutes what he is thinking, better yet wait till he he watching TV or playing a video game

2: make sure to be honest and point out things he does that annoy you and remember that yo have no flaws.

3: ask him if the thinks your fat. no matter how he answers make it the wrong answer.

4: let him know all that "icky" stuff you did while dating wasn't fun and won't be done anymore.

These few simple communication tools will help him know his place in the relationship and make everything go smoother. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • cal1973
    cal1973 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Don't do it.

this ^^
  • rammsteinsoldier
    rammsteinsoldier Posts: 1,556 Member
    Options
    Good luck and keep communicating.