Marriage Advice

Options

Replies

• k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    if you get a dog, it might eat its own poop.

It's all about breeding... I know this from personal experience with our literal dog.
  • fluffysexyme
    fluffysexyme Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    1. Sex is the glue which holds a marriage together. (Given to me by my 50-something year old cousin)
    2. Always speak to each other with the same respect with which you'd speak to a colleague at work. (Same cousin)
    3. Never tell your family when you two are fighting big time. You'll forgive and forget, but they never will.
    4. Never bring up the big "D" for 6 months surrounding any big life change (move, new job, kid, etc)...and try to agree never to bring it up at all.
    5. Sex. A lot. With each other, preferably.

Good luck, and congratulations.

^ this! Plus, you have to learn how to speak each others love language. He may not be verbal while you are, but that doesn't mean me doesn't love you he just shows it while you say it kinda thing.
    Also, remember that no matter what, you love him/her and "Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged. It does not rejoice about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance." 1 Corinthians 13:1, 4-7
    Best of luck!!
  • k8blujay2
    Options
    Sex...outside...on the trampoline...

Who said we bought it just for the kids? :drinker:

Now I must get a tramplone for our toddler... :laugh:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Set the bar low... don't spoil him. :bigsmile:

:drinker:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Start as you mean to go on. If you can't see yourself in 10 years picking up his underwear of the floor and making his lunches, don't do it in the first place. Remember to look at things from his point of view when he seems like he's being totally ridiculous. He may actually have a point. Or he may not, but still try to understand.

:drinker:
  • mamamudbug
    mamamudbug Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    to many pages to read them all , so sorry if this is already said

" never go to bed angry"
    even if you can't work out the problem that night, make sure you tell each other I love you ! ..

Everyone says this but sometimes it's just best to leave each other alone and cool off. Learn when those times are. Take a break and look at things from your spouse's perspective.
  • k8blujay2
    Options
    to many pages to read them all , so sorry if this is already said

" never go to bed angry"
    even if you can't work out the problem that night, make sure you tell each other I love you ! ..

Everyone says this but sometimes it's just best to leave each other alone and cool off. Learn when those times are. Take a break and look at things from your spouse's perspective.

I totally agree with this.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options

Sounds like a broken wiener waiting to happen. :laugh:
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Set the bar low... don't spoil him. :bigsmile:

This. And lower expectations. Marriage is NOT rainbows and puppy dogs. You will see each other at your literal worst and yet still find the other sexy.
  • Jferg69
    Jferg69 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Wedlock is a 2 way street. As long as I can run away in either direction, i'm fine, hahaha
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Smack him on the *kitten* for a "job" well done. Make sure to leave a hand print
  • picassoadagio
    picassoadagio Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    You can look, but remember not to touch. It can lead to problems in the future.
  • freeindeed33
    Options
    Love is about being selfLESS NOT selfISH. Real love does not worry about getting only giving....this is the type of mindset/heartset that sets up a marriage to succeed!!!
    Be blessed!
  • Lay821
    Lay821 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • mamamudbug
    mamamudbug Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    if you get a dog, it might eat its own poop.

If you have kids, they'll poop in the tub.
  • LoViNlIFe0225
    LoViNlIFe0225 Posts: 121
    Options
    A couple things my mom told me right before my wedding was:

1) remember when you're mad at him...that you're flawed to.
    2) Never quit having sex...when you lose that intimacy the marriage is doomed.
    3) Never let your babies sleep in bed with you...they'll never stop and that should be a sacred place between you and your husband.
    4) Laugh together...allow yourself to feel happiness without scrutinizing it.
    5) Don't try to like and be interested in everything he likes to do....its okay to have differences embrace them and maintain your independence to some level.
    6) But yourself aside sometimes...its okay to put him and his needs first sometimes...even if this means doing something you don't like.
    7) make time to date.
    8) Forgive each other.
    9) Get dressed up sometimes.
    10) Cook dinner...cook dinner as much as you can! :happy:

She gave many many many more, but I just can't list them all. She married my dad when she wa 18 and he was 21, they had four daughters and have been happily married for 36 years so I would say she knows what she is talking about! Good luck!
  • babyshme
    babyshme Posts: 310 Member
    Options

LMAO!!! Sex in many places work.

If you don't want him now, you wont want him later. Kids do change every thing. If they are living together now, nothing will really change right away. They will change over time though. So just brace for it. Have fun.
  • phillieschic
    phillieschic Posts: 615
    Options

Then you're obviously not doing something right... :noway:
  • wolfehound22
    wolfehound22 Posts: 887
    Options
    Good communication, don't sweat the small stuff and honestly it's all small stuff, lots of oral and everything else just takes care of itself.
    I love you lol :bigsmile:
  • babyshme
    babyshme Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    3) Never let your babies sleep in bed with you...they'll never stop and that should be a sacred place between you and your husband

THEY NEVER LEAVE YOUR BED, IF YOU DON'T MAKE THEM LEAVE ... That statement is false in my case. Share my bed with all my kids and oddly, I still went on to have more..;. This is very true for a lot of people. When kids are involved, do what you feel is best.