Marriage Advice

Options

Replies

• musicgirl99
    musicgirl99 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Never take your husband or wife for granted.
  • bmreed0920
    bmreed0920 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Have a back up plan. You never know what the future holds.
  • Skeena4
    Skeena4 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Talk it out, have fun and.... oh yeah HAVE FUN!!!! Then go out and have fun!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Open, honest, rational communication about expectations, boundaries, etc from the very beginning (before marriage). Don't bury things, but don't explode about them either. You have to have open communication lines at all times.
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Have couple time that isn't at night. Like always catching up on TV on Saturday morning, or taking a walk in the mornings before your crazy days!
  • elexichoccyeater
    elexichoccyeater Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    never argue drunk... wait till he is hungover!
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Have him make YOU sammiches
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    These replies are far too serious, people. :angry:

Please, more trolling.
  • cr8zed
    cr8zed Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Never go to bed mad at each other, no matter how bad the arguement.
  • ednabnana
    ednabnana Posts: 304
    Options
    Check his pay stub :)

i'm jk
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Marriage is not a 50-50 partnership. It is a 100-100 commitment. Give your all all of the time. When your spouse is slacking they need your love more than ever to get them back on the right track. Never lose the tenderness or the passion. Keep a date night. Compromise- ALWAYS. Allow cool down time (don't get mad when your partner walks away. Some people need to take a corner and then come back with a more level headed view. This is different than "running away" from the situation at hand). Last but not least, say I love you A LOT.
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Something that helped us is learning how the other person "fights." I become silent or very concise with my words. At some point I need to walk away. My husband is a talk talk talker and when I would walk away he would follow. This made it worse for each of us. One day while in great moods we discussed (not planned) our differences in this.

He had eventually learned I needed to have space to discover the true reason I'm really upset. I learned that his anger isn't funny and not to push his buttons to see how much more enraged he could become.

Also, Respect Each Other. Date Each Other.

we are going on year 15 :) Even our son knows his Dad and I have to have date nights.
  • zuppie76
    zuppie76 Posts: 8
    Options
    Talk about everything and anything - don't go too long without talking to each other. Talk about what is troubling you as well as what makes you happy. *NEVER* go to bed on an argument, and don't drag others into your troubles. Accept that there will be bad times as well as good - if you can't deal with bad times, then don't do it. Oh, and sex is not the be-all and end-all of marriage - communication is! (Married 12 years to my wonderful man).
  • Karalopolous
    Karalopolous Posts: 574
    Options
    It's not like in the movies, you will eventually want to run him over with your car. Then he'll forget your birthday and say "You aren't the type of girl that should wear leggings" or some other insensitive comment. Wait, is Kort a guy? Sounds like it, either way feelings will be hurt, you'll wish you hadn't gotten married some days and you will really come to despise some of the weird "quirks" about your partner.
    But, if you can get over these things and be patient, you'll find that that person you married is probably not that bad and you're just as difficult to deal with.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Jill_newimprovedversion Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    Quote: Remember marriage is not a contest—never keep a score. The two of you together are on the same team to win.

http://thestir.cafemom.com/love_sex/136313/worlds_longest_married_couple_has

and IF you feel the NEED to *compete* try OUTSERVING each other....
    you mowed the lawn? Oh yeah, watch this, I'll do the dishes before YOU get to them....

(yes I'm serious.....it works for us......married 31 yrs)
  • coe28
    coe28 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Well let ME give her some advice since I'm an expert in the sense that I was engaged after only 8 months and married 8 months after that and separated 22 months after that and divorced 26 months after that....... (please note the sarcasm in this sentance)

Ahem....be 100% sure you want to marry this person before you do it. If you have even an INKLING that it's not what you want or that it won't work, don't do it, or at least wait a little longer. If you ARE 100% sure, then CONGRATULATIONS!! Hope you two have a very happy live together! :wink:
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Respect, Communication, Consideration, and Understanding that you don't come together to come together as one but 2 individuals who are wanting to share and become partners in everything life has to offer will get you a long long way...

Also, his happiness does not rely on you and your happiness does not rely on him but sharing your own happiness without reserve will enhance his and him sharing his without reserve will enhance yours...

Best to you!!!
  • wender125
    wender125 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    ***TALK*** to each other. About *everything*; all of your thoughts, be they: happy, worried, fearful, delighted, jealous, money, or dreams.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Check his texts daily.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid to communicate (and even compromise) about things like money. I also suggest having a joint account (at least for the bills that you each put a percentage in).