Are most men like this to live with??

Options

Replies

• kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    Maybe now is the time for you to realize you will e living with a lazy and filthy person?
  • Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    making his bed??? do you have separate beds??

stop babying him..hes a grown man...set the record straight NOW or he will expect you to do this FOREVER!!!!
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Who pays the bills, and is there something he does more of?

Like some people have it where the woman does like 80% of the cleaning and the guy pays like 80% of the expenses, takes care of cleaning the cars, and fixing things around the house.

If he isn't compensating...Then have a discussion on who should do what.
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, I was like this when I moved in with my boyfriend. In my defense, I had always had a dishwasher before moving to the UK and had never lived alone, so I didn't have it in my head to do dishes every day. My boyfriend let me know I needed to do some and I'm better about it now.

Just tell him what's up.
  • callmeBAM
    callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I am a work from home dad, so I do all of the cooking and cleaning. AND I do all the "man" stuff like yardwork etc.
    So, quit *****ing and go find a guy you actually like.
  • will010574
    will010574 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's useful to essentialize but yes, I think your BF is taking advantage. Not because he is a man but because he is immature. Which is not an exclusively male trait.

Exactly^^^^

Talk to him and if he refuses get rid of him. And for the record there are men and women like this, it isnt just men!!
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Uh - no. Not at effing all. It's one thing to just be messy (all men are messy) but EXPECTING you to clean his dishes is unacceptable. Him setting them down and just forgetting about them - every man does that.

As far as meals go, if my BF doesn't like what I'm cooking then he finds his own food. Likewise, when he cooks, it's usually unhealthy stuff, so I make my own.

If you've just moved in give it some time. You'll figure it out. But don't let him expect anything from you. You don't HAVE to do anything.
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Your choices:

1. Hope that he changes (he probably won't).
    2. Accept things the way they are.
    3. Move out and don't resign to being his maid for the rest of your life.

Or 4) Talk about it. If you go around like everything is OK, he will think it's OK. COmmunication goes a long way. If after talking things don't change then yeah, if you can't live with it or deal with itwithout becoming bitter, move out.
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Sounds like he's replaced his mother with you. Do you wash and iron all his clothes as well?

Communication. You need to tell him what's bothering you. I think a lot of guys will otherwise just assume that you don't mind doing all these things. We're not mind readers and he probably can't smell that you're unhappy about this stuff :wink:

^^^^this exactly. If you don't say something, he will assume everything is ok. Although I've been married for almost 16 years and hubby still leaves all the dirty pots and pans on the stove. He will take care of his plates and cups, but I'm stlll the only one that actually washes pots and pans. I've learned to accept it, but he also does a lot of other things around the house.
  • BrandiH2007
    BrandiH2007 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I suggest talking to him. My husband used to be that way, but once I talked to him and explained what a PITA all those things were we came to an agreement and it's not like that now.
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
    Yes. Every guy is like that.

Wait, I mean no, not every guy is like that.

So you're dating? Do you communicate?
    -wtk

haha too funny....don't even gettttt me started lol talk to him about it and see if you can work out some sorta deal that works for both of you, where you don't feel like you're being taken advantage of. Some men don't realize that they're leaving things behind and that it's really annoying to have to clean up their mess in order to use the same work space for yourself. Good luck!!! :flowerforyou:
  • jlt1968
    jlt1968 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    No not all guys are like that. You probably need to have a talk with him and come to an understanding that he needs to pitch in and help. And let him know you didn't move in to become his mother. I bet your also paying half the bills now too.
  • Wildheart_Baby
    Wildheart_Baby Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    You need to have a damned good talk with him, it sounds like you're being taken for granted, I'll bet he had his mother to run around and clean up after him.

Lay it out, that you don't mind making meals for him but you aren't an unpaid skivvy, that he makes a mess that you shouldn't be expected to clean up. You should also stop washing the pans he uses for making his own breakfast, since you only have cereal, clean your own bowl, he'll soon realise what you do for him and if he doesn't then screw him, he can make his own meals in future.
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Why are you doing all these things for him? About dinner.. does he actually tell you to make his dinner?
  • Maude_Lewbowski
    Maude_Lewbowski Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    A couple thoughts:
    *Things of this nature were not discussed prior to moving in?
    *Have you or have you not spoke to him about this specifically?
    *There's an old expression that a lot of my friends got caught up in living like this and waiting 10-12 years to get engaged: "Why buy the cow when you can have the milk for free?" Setting the tone in a relationship early is key or he will always expect this from you.
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is not like that! I think he knows he cannot get away with that kind of thing. We tend to do chores, etc, pretty equally (we both work full-time, so it seems unfair for one of us to get stuck with that complete burden)... Good luck. I hope the situation improves for you.
  • thomassd1969
    thomassd1969 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Look at the way he was raised, was it like that with his parents. Bingo
  • er1nya
    er1nya Posts: 87
    Options
    I just moved in with my boyfriend a couple of months ago. No, not all men are like that. I thought that my boyfriend was being a little too messy at first, the dishes were our biggie too. One night I calmly asked him if he could pick it up a little with the dishes. Since then he's done great! He wasn't even thinking about it really before that (men!) To be honest, he doesn't do a great job cleaning the dishes, (there's always food left on the outside of pans for instance) so I've kinda decided that I would do the dishes more often while he does other chores- like taking out the garbage and sweeping - that I don't particularly care for. It seems to work for us and we're both happy with it. We both have different schedules so who ever is home first generally cooks for the other. He's up first in the morning and he makes me an extra plate for breakfast every morning. I have a keeper :)
  • lk27
    lk27 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    No. Talk to him and figure out who does what. For example, I cook and my husband does the dishes or I do the laundry and my husband keeps up the yard work. In my opnion, I work just as much as my husband does, so there is no reason that we can't share the household chores. I have not done the dishes for years!! If you keep taking care of him like he's a child, he will grow to expect everything to be done for him. Put your foot down. Tell him he's an adult too and has to pitch in. If he doesn't like it, too bad for him!
  • crystal_loga
    crystal_loga Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Y'all need to have a conversation about it. He may not realize that it bothers you so much. He may assume that this is what it is like to live with someone.

The household duties should be shared. He shouldn't just expect you to take care of everything.

If a civil conversation about this topic cannot be had, I would seriously reconsider this relationship. If you guys can't discuss household chores, you won't make it through finances, marriage and raising children. If something bothers you, speak up! End of story. You should not be made to feel belittled under any circumstances!

Good Luck!!
This discussion has been closed.