Do you believe in ghosts/spirits? Share your experiences!!

Options

Replies

• britaut2
    britaut2 Posts: 19
    Options
    Definitely, I believe in ghost and spirits. Personnally, I have had many experiences with hearing my name called, being touched, seeing shadows etc. My youngest daughter is extremely sensitive. Different spirits come to her often from children to elderly people. They follow her from home to school. When she goes to different people homes, she can sense the ghost or spirits. My daughter is in her first year of high school, but when she was in Catholic elementary school, she served as an altar server for Mass. She would serve at funerals and would describe how the decease would be in the back of the Church watching his/her's funeral. My daughter is more comfortable with her gift as she has gotten older.
  • Chubbyhulagirl
    Chubbyhulagirl Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    bump in the night...lol
  • da_sammit
    da_sammit Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    yes, i have quite a few experiences..my brother has also seen these, either with me or on his own and then we spoke about it later on..

one was an old house we were looking at to buy. it was out in the middle of the bush and it was COLD. i mean there was almost a line when you crossed onto the land that the temp dropped. the house was a 2 story place with a meat cellar attached to the front building (it was an old farm house). upstairs was living areas and downstairs there was a second bathroom, toilet, laundry and a double car garage... well one of those garages was BRICKED UP. both the "inner" section and the outer door were sealed. when we went down there, the brother and i both had a queasy feeling, like we were about to be sick.. almost a spinning too fast feeling. my mum and dad told us we were just being stupid and to have a look around. so we went towards the garage (we didnt know that was sealed until later on when we looked at the outside of the house) where we saw a foot coming out of the wall. and it was swinging, in and then out and back again.. we could see a rope tied around the girder beam above the wall and pretty much put two and two together. still not sure why the garage was bricked in but we were told it was a "deceased estate" and that it had been sitting empty for almost 10 years (there was still furniture inside it).

the second encounter ive had was in the house we built later on that same year. we bought a block of land on an old tobacco farm, at the edge of a lake. the lake had been covered in the build more houses on it and these were our neighbours blocks. i was home alone one night when i felt the urge to look up. when i did, standing in the front hallway in front of me was a large black dog like shape with glowing red eyes. it looked really angry at me and snarled (no sound) and then walked through the hallway wall into my parents bedroom.. i saw that same "dog" a few times but i also saw a smaller, almost "scotty dog" shape with the same red eyes. my brother saw it once and he told me that the scotty dog had appeared in his room, walked into the wall and when he went to chase it, it turned on him and became the big scary dog thing.. i was 14 at the time.

ive had a few empath moments too. i tend to sense emotions of the land and i get pretty jumped up or just want to sink and cry in certain areas. ive always had this.. it was stronger when i was younger and lived really without technology and constant human presence.. i would like to find it again but im not sure how.. im not sure if im sensing people imprinted on the areas or if im channeling something else.. i wouldnt mind talking to people who know about this sort of thing.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    @Grinch

1stly - you are entitled to your opinion, but you can also voice that and discuss without trying to prove your superiority to others and make out that they are idiots.

2ndly - I am very sceptical. But I believe there is....something...I don't pretend to suggest it's ghosts, or god, or demons, or whatever. I can't give an explanation of where they come from or why only certain people experience them.

With my scepticism - I won't rely on anything that happened in a setting where you had been asleep, or a bit asleep, or a bit tipsy, or it was dark and you couldn't really see as proof. The brain is a very powerful tool and we see faces and familiar shapes in the most random of places because that's how it works, so I will try to write things off as far as I can. For example when I was younger I put my bag on my bed, then a few seconds after I exited the room, it hit the floor. Now the truth is that it was propped against the wall at the back of the bed, and realistically, to fall, it would have had to slide or roll the width of the bed. However, things fall when you least expect them so I can't point to this as mystical proof of ghosts, even though the 'logical' explanation doesn't make sense to me (being that realistically there was no way the bag could fall).

My auntie asking her mother, my grandma, 2 days deceased, for a sign that she was ok and the light above her head immediately blowing. One of my cousins earliest memories being of said grandma visiting her in hospital when she was born around the same time. the first could just be coincidence. The second - well the brain plays tricks, maybe she thinks she remembers but is misremembering, so I wouldn't use those as some sort of proof.

That being said - I have experienced a couple of things, and I know close friends who have things that I cannot explain rationally.

Mine haven't been quite as exciting as some of the stories on here but if you can offer a reason I am all ears. It was simply that as I opened my front door, it swung to around 45 degrees open, made a thud as if it had hit a solid object and bounced back towards me. This has also happened with the bathroom door. There was nothing behind the door. I know this because a) I checked, b) I had to leave the house that morning, and c) whatever it was must have been totally solid. With the bathroom door - it is above ground level so there is nothing that could be on the floor to impede it.

My most logical explanation is that somehow the hinges jarred, but I know that can't be true because the door itself hit something.

Can you offer anything?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Apparently, this thread has touched me because I was thinking about it this morning and I really feel a need to respond to Grinch and everyone else yelling and screaming about science and proof.

I assume that you believe in the Big Bang Theory (not the show, but the actual creation of the universe). I took astronomy in college. It was a 200 level intro course, so certainly we didn't get into all the nitty gritty little details and I'm no expert, but found it fascinating, just as I find physics -- especially theoretical physics -- fascinating.

What I learned in my itty bitty class is that the Big Bang is one of several theories of the beginning of the universe, but let's just for argument's sake say it's the only possibility. That means that before that event, there was nothing. But not nothing in the sense that there was empty space. There was actually, literally, NOTHING. No matter, no space, no reality whatsoever. It's one of those things that most cannot even comprehend because how can there have been such a huge nothing, right?

So, anyway, out of this nothing there was a big explosion and all that we know as the universe -- stars, planets, empty space, meteors, comets ... -- came bursting out and in the billions of years since, the matter and empty space have continued moving farther and farther apart as the universe continues expanding. But expanding into what? What's on the other side of the universe? Astronomers have built telescopes powerful enough to see, essentially, the end of the universe. There's something like a wall there they can't see past. So the universe in which we live is finite. How is that possible? What's on the other side? More nothing? Another universe? Many other universes? These are all theories held by actual scientists. Yes, they do think that there are possibly multiple universes floating around out there like massive bubbles in space, bumping up against each other.

They also believe that if there is not enough matter in the universe, eventually it will reach its limit and contract back to the nothingness that was here before. And if there is enough matter to keep it expanding, it will eventually expand to the point that no two objects will be anywhere near each other. But, again, into what is it expanding? And if it contracts to nothingness, what's left? Nothing!

So think about all of that and then ask why the concept of the existence of ghosts is so far-fetched. Humans are puny creatures with limited capacity to understand the vastness of what's really out there. And to be so convinced that there is no afterlife, no spirit world, no ghosts or no God, to me, just shows a huge amount of arrogance and, really, a lack of creativity and a certain kind of intelligence. Kind of like my cousin who is a whiz at math and science but turned to me at intermission when we saw Much Ado About Nothing and asked me what was going on because she didn't understand a single moment of the play.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    How many ghost/spirits have been documented? I don't believe there is any hard evidence of other wordly entities and there never will be. Why is that? They must be too clever for us once they cross over into the "unknown". Is that why we can't prove of such a thing?... or...maybe there's no such thing.
  • rml_16
    Options
    How many ghost/spirits have been documented? I don't believe there is any hard evidence of other wordly entities and there never will be. Why is that? They must be too clever for us once they cross over into the "unknown". Is that why we can't prove of such a thing?... or...maybe there's no such thing.

Read my above post.

Just sayin'.
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    And to be so convinced that there is no afterlife, no spirit world, no ghosts or no God, to me, just shows a huge amount of arrogance and, really, a lack of creativity and a certain kind of intelligence.

Creating supernatural beings to answer questions you don't know is a bit more arrogant. Someone who is a non believer/skeptic is less arrogant because they can stand back and say "you know what, I don't know what this is" and then try to find out, instead of stating it was a ghost or it was God or some other supernatural being because of their own fear of not knowing. That's all science is, its trying to seek out answers in the most logical tested way. Filling up the gaps of what we don't know with supernatural beings is just an easy way to get an answer, even if its the wrong answer.
  • rml_16
    Options
    And to be so convinced that there is no afterlife, no spirit world, no ghosts or no God, to me, just shows a huge amount of arrogance and, really, a lack of creativity and a certain kind of intelligence.

Creating supernatural beings to answer questions you don't know is a bit more arrogant. Someone who is a non believer/skeptic is less arrogant because they can stand back and say "you know what, I don't know what this is" and then try to find out, instead of stating it was a ghost or it was God or some other supernatural being because of their own fear of not knowing. That's all science is, its trying to seek out answers in the most logical tested way. Filling up the gaps of what we don't know with supernatural beings is just an easy way to get an answer, even if its the wrong answer.

Um, yeah, no.
  • Rhea30
    Options

And to be so convinced that there is no afterlife, no spirit world, no ghosts or no God, to me, just shows a huge amount of arrogance and, really, a lack of creativity and a certain kind of intelligence. Kind of like my cousin who is a whiz at math and science but turned to me at intermission when we saw Much Ado About Nothing and asked me what was going on because she didn't understand a single moment of the play.

You basically state it yourself. As humans we have a very a unique brain to create and supernatural beings has been one we've always created. I do find it fascinating on what we can create, stories we can make.
  • chrishgt4
    Options

The problem is - the people on here quoting science aren't actually doing this. They are just saying they don't believe and that is it.

I'm all for chalking an experience up to something tangible that we know about, but to deny absolutely the possibility of there being more than we know of in existence is closed minded and distinctly unscientific.
  • Rhea30
    Options

The problem is - the people on here quoting science aren't actually doing this. They are just saying they don't believe and that is it.

I'm all for chalking an experience up to something tangible that we know about, but to deny absolutely the possibility of there being more than we know of in existence is closed minded and distinctly unscientific.

Stories of supernatural beings have always been used to fill up gaps of what we don't know so all that tells me is that these stories have been created for that purpose and when we get into religion its been a way to control people. There is no evidence that supernatural beings exist and I rather keep my mind open to explore the possibilities of what we don't know then sum it up that its a ghost.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options

A quote from American Horror Story that I feel fits perfectly right here: "How can you be so arrogant to think that there is only one reality that you’re able to see?”
  • cushygal
    cushygal Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I am really enjoying these stories. Interesting to read.

I have only experienced a haunting by one person. I was raised by my Papa for the most part. My actual father abused me to the point of black eyes, bruises, and everything. My papa was where I went to be safe. He would always tell me that i was his little angel. He would hold me close and tell me that he was never going anywhere. One night I had to go back home to my abusive father and my Papa held me very close that night and told me that everything would be okay. I was only 9 years old and he gave me one of those hugs that lasted forever. I thought nothing of it.

The next morning when I came home from school to see my papa he wasn't there. I was told that he had went to the grocery store after I had left and was in a terrible car accident. He didn't make it.

Now 10 years has past and I am 20 years old. My papa was right though, he never did leave me. I have had a few instances where I have felt his presence.

My papa used to tap his foot when he would stand at the kitchen sink. I still hear it in the morning when I wake up. I can still hear his laugh sometimes at night when everything is quiet. I have gone out into the kitchen to see if he is there, but of course I can only hear him. And when I have something emotionally difficult happen when I start to cry, i feel as if something warm is against me, like when he would hug me.

The house is very old, built in the 1920s by my papa's dad. When I go down into the basement which is all just cement and the only way to turn on a light is a pull down chain on the light bulbs, I see things move and rattle. That was where all of his tools were, and where he would tinker around and I would go watch and talk with him as a very little girl. 2 days after his death I went down there to be alone, and I saw his big flashlight we used to make hand puppets with start to move and shake back and forth on the table. I was scared at first, but I knew it was just a sign that he was still with me.

May seem silly to some, or even ignorant. But since I was 9 years old I have always believed in spirits. Maybe I am just holding on to the past, but I believe want I want :flowerforyou:

Oh my gosh, so made me cry.
  • chrishgt4
    Options

Stories of supernatural beings have always been used to fill up gaps of what we don't know so all that tells me is that these stories have been created for that purpose and when we get into religion its been a way to control people. There is no evidence that supernatural beings exist and I rather keep my mind open to explore the possibilities of what we don't know then sum it up that its a ghost.

I think you're missing the point there then. What people are doing is denying that there is ANYTHING other than what can be rationally explained by the information we currently have.

What people on the other side of the fence are saying is that there is SOMETHING. Perhaps we just don't have appropriate technology to detect it in a conclusive manner yet. Perhaps we never will. I refer to them as ghosts etc, because this is the name we have given them. It is something that everyone understands and simplifies a concept rather than having to preface all comments with a disclaimer on the unknown identity of such occurrences.

Absolute denial is just as close minded as absolute faith.
  • cushygal
    cushygal Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I so believe in the afterlife, spirits, ghosts and everything else that goes along with it. I have been to see numerous mediums, psychics and they all have alot of interesting things to say but I myself have NEVER exerienced anything from the other side :cry:

I was so very close to my nanny(my mom's mom) and she passed when I was on a vacation some 20 years back - this woman was my life, I adored her like no other person ever and as a child I would always tell her and anyone who would listen that when she died I would too - so needless to say when she passed people watched me like a hawk :)

The very night she died after going to the funeral home I slept in her bed and prayed for her to come to me, to show me something, but she never did.

One medium I went to told me that my nanny is always with me, but I don't feel her. This is making me cry just typing it out as I still miss her so very much. Maybe one day I will be bessed with seeing her again.
  • turningstar
    turningstar Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Its funny how people can get so upset about topics like this. I do choose to believe in ghosts. Am I certain that they exist, and its not just a trick of the mind? No. But im okay no being "sure". I like to think that there is something beyond this life, and that someday when my husband or I die, we wont be gone from eachother forever. What's wrong with that? Its okay if you choose not to believe the same thing.

I have actually had some creepy encounters though. I lived on an abandoned farm as a kid. One night I woke up to find a man sitting in the chair by my bed staring at me. I would also see people swinging on the porch in our big wooden swing.

I was at a friends house one night sleeping upstairs and opened my eyes to see the rocking chair next to the bed moving. It had an old typewriter sitting on it, which was pretty heavy. Really freaked me out! Did I mentioned her house backed uptown an old cemetery?
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I've been able to see ghosts since I was little. I can't always talk to them now that I'm an adult, but my mother told me when I was 4-7 I was able to talk to them. Here are some of my paranormal experiences:

1. I was sleeping on my stomach and felt someone slap my leg really hard. I was half asleep and shouted " leave me alone! I'm trying to sleep.". I lived by myself. I never got slapped again though!!
    2. I worked as a nursing home charge lpn. I would constantly see ghosts walking up and down the halls between 12 am and 4am nightly.
    3. I was going to give medicine to one of my residents, and my hands where full. Just before I got to the door I saw the door knob turn and then the door opened. The patient in the room was bedbound and didn't have a roommate.
    4. I walked into a room with a comatose patient who just had a stroke and wasn't able to move or talk. Her body was laying on its back, but her spirit was sitting up outside of her body, and when it saw me her spirit laid back into her body. I almost dropped all her medications when I saw that one!
    5. I was working in another nursing home that was on the site of an old civil war field hospital as a CNA years ago and I passed by a resident's room on my way to help another CNA turn a patient over, and I saw two white ghosts standing over this lady's bed. Then they looked at me, back towards her, and when the other CNA came to get me saw them too. We finished our rounds together that night!!
    6. I got into an elevator at the subway station to catch the subway to school. When I got into the elevator I saw an elderly gentleman wearing an old fashioned trench coat and fedora standing there. As soon as I walked into the elevator I was freezing ( this was in the middle of July and the elevator wasn't air conditioned) and all the hairs on my body stood straight up. He asked me why they were working on the subway station and I said that I didn't know and that I thought that they were renovating or adding onto the station. I got to the floor where I was going, stepped off the elevator and turned to get another look at him and he was gone.
    7. Many times when I feel scared or down, I feel someone put a hand on my shoulder as if to say, everything will be ok. Many times when I was going through abuse at e hands of my father I would go to my room and cry, and I felt like I was being hugged and comforted.
    8. I was at home by myself and got up to use the bathroom. Since I was by myself I left the door open, and I was half asleep. When I looked into my mother's room ( I was off work, she was at work) I saw my great grandmother standing there wearing a black and white polka dotted 40's or 50's style dress. When I rubbed my eyes and looked again she slowly started to fade away.

In my opinion, as a loving Father He sends us familiar people to comfort us in our time of despair, as well as angels to assist us.
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I got one more. I didn't have time to write it down yesterday morning with my original post.

This is more of a...well I can't explain it, but in my paternal family and on down to me and my son, we always see some sort of being with red eyes.
    My great uncle was walking home from work in Monterrey Mexico. This was very late at night, I guess he worked swing shift and this was probably back in the 30's-40's. He says he saw a dog walking along a bit behind him but he figured it was a random stray and didn't think anything of it. But the dog followed him for at least a mile (people walked huge distances back then, go figure lol) and he said that there was no streetlights and he had no flashlight but the dogs eyes were glowing red. He ran home crying like a baby.
    My auntie, some years later, says she saw a man with glowing red eyes peeking into her window one night. This was probably in the 50's.
    When I was 14 I was yacking on the phone with a little bf of mine and I looked up into my doorway and I saw a male figure with glowing red eyes standing there. I shut my eyes and when I opened them he was gone.
    When my son was 4 or 5 he wouldn't go into our back bedroom because he said he saw a "man with no face and red eyes".

My great uncles story I heard from my father, who heard it from him when he was a very old man. I never met him. My auntie herself told me her story.
    I figure for me, I had been up half the night and maybe it was a hallucination brought on from sheer exhaustion. I never told my son any of our family stories, so where he got that one from, I have no idea. I chalk it up to a child's vivid imagination.
  • Tuffjourney
    Tuffjourney Posts: 971
    Options
    @ Elf_Princess1, great experiences. As I mentioned before tho, those of us that have experienced paranormal, we need to count our selves as lucky/or blessed, or what ever you want to call it. All my life I have had experienced the paranormal and still do. But I certainly can understand those that never have not believing it. There really is no need to defend ourselves. Just appreciate the life/gift we were given. :happy: