Replies

• tiguer
    tiguer Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Ha! I like the way you think!:laugh:
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Beer: essentially water & vegetables. I usually just log it as a salad.
    lmao :laugh:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Don't count it because it dehydrates.

No, it doesn't. Even if you drink the whole pot.

I previously agreed with the above poster but now disagree. Due to what I will quote later. I still would not count it as water consumption tho. Your statement would be true depending on the size of the pot. If the pot you are talking about is the average of 8-12 cups then according to the Mayo Clinic your statement would be false. Just saying =) Cheers.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeinated-drinks/AN01661

I've been seeing ads that say cola and coffee drinks hydrate you as well as water does. Is this true?
    Answer
    from Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D.
    It is true. Researchers used to believe that caffeinated drinks had a diuretic effect. This means that you would urinate more after drinking them, which could increase your risk of becoming dehydrated. Recent research shows that this is not true and that caffeine has a diuretic effect only if you consume large amounts of it — more than 500 to 600 milligrams (the equivalent of 5 to 7 cups of coffee) a day.

Still, caffeinated drinks can make you jittery, sleepless or anxious. Water is probably your best bet to stay hydrated. It's calorie-free, caffeine-free, inexpensive and readily available.

Actually, the Mayo Clinic does not disagree with me, though this one doctor might.

What about the advice to drink eight glasses a day?
    Everyone has heard the advice, "Drink eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day." That's about 1.9 liters, which isn't that different from the Institute of Medicine recommendations. Although the "8 by 8" rule isn't supported by hard evidence, it remains popular because it's easy to remember. Just keep in mind that the rule should be reframed as: "Drink at least eight 8-ounce glasses of fluid a day," because all fluids count toward the daily total.
    Beyond the tap: Other sources of water
    Although it's a great idea to keep water within reach at all times, you don't need to rely only on what you drink to meet your fluid needs. What you eat also provides a significant portion of your fluid needs. On average, food provides about 20 percent of total water intake. For example, many fruits and vegetables, such as watermelon and tomatoes, are 90 percent or more water by weight.

In addition, beverages such as milk and juice are composed mostly of water. Even beer, wine and caffeinated beverages — such as coffee, tea or soda — can contribute, but these should not be a major portion of your daily total fluid intake. Water is still your best bet because it's calorie-free, inexpensive and readily available.

SOURCE: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283

I am just going by this that they stated that I quoted in the above quote..

"Recent research shows that this is not true and that caffeine has a diuretic effect only if you consume large amounts of it — more than 500 to 600 milligrams (the equivalent of 5 to 7 cups of coffee) a day. "

You stated " even if you drink the whole pot"

Average coffee pot is 8-12 cups.. sooo therefore exceeding the 5-7 cups a day that the MAYO CLINIC stated.

I said it won't dehydrate you if you drink the whole pot. Nothing you posted refutes that. If you don't want a diuretic effect, don't drink too much of anything.

OK REALLY. What are you not getting.

caffeine has a diuretic effect only if you consume large amounts of it — more than 500 to 600 milligrams (the equivalent of 5 to 7 cups of coffee) a day. "

Saying Yea coffee wont dehydrate you if you have only a couple cups but more than 5-7 cups a day it could. You stated it wont dehydrate you if you drink the WHOLE POT. I was JOKING with you stating actually if you drank the whole post you COULD actually get dehydrated since most average coffee pots are 8-12 cups.

:::::BANGSHEADONTABLE:::::

Stop banging your head and really think about what you are saying. Diuretic and dehydration are not the same things.

Drinking too much water has a diuretic effect. Drinking too much water does not cause dehydration Get it?
  • Lil_MiSsSunshiNe
    Options
    Don't count it because it dehydrates.

No, it doesn't. Even if you drink the whole pot.

I previously agreed with the above poster but now disagree. Due to what I will quote later. I still would not count it as water consumption tho. Your statement would be true depending on the size of the pot. If the pot you are talking about is the average of 8-12 cups then according to the Mayo Clinic your statement would be false. Just saying =) Cheers.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeinated-drinks/AN01661

I've been seeing ads that say cola and coffee drinks hydrate you as well as water does. Is this true?
    Answer
    from Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D.
    It is true. Researchers used to believe that caffeinated drinks had a diuretic effect. This means that you would urinate more after drinking them, which could increase your risk of becoming dehydrated. Recent research shows that this is not true and that caffeine has a diuretic effect only if you consume large amounts of it — more than 500 to 600 milligrams (the equivalent of 5 to 7 cups of coffee) a day.

Still, caffeinated drinks can make you jittery, sleepless or anxious. Water is probably your best bet to stay hydrated. It's calorie-free, caffeine-free, inexpensive and readily available.

Actually, the Mayo Clinic does not disagree with me, though this one doctor might.

What about the advice to drink eight glasses a day?
    Everyone has heard the advice, "Drink eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day." That's about 1.9 liters, which isn't that different from the Institute of Medicine recommendations. Although the "8 by 8" rule isn't supported by hard evidence, it remains popular because it's easy to remember. Just keep in mind that the rule should be reframed as: "Drink at least eight 8-ounce glasses of fluid a day," because all fluids count toward the daily total.
    Beyond the tap: Other sources of water
    Although it's a great idea to keep water within reach at all times, you don't need to rely only on what you drink to meet your fluid needs. What you eat also provides a significant portion of your fluid needs. On average, food provides about 20 percent of total water intake. For example, many fruits and vegetables, such as watermelon and tomatoes, are 90 percent or more water by weight.

In addition, beverages such as milk and juice are composed mostly of water. Even beer, wine and caffeinated beverages — such as coffee, tea or soda — can contribute, but these should not be a major portion of your daily total fluid intake. Water is still your best bet because it's calorie-free, inexpensive and readily available.

SOURCE: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283

I am just going by this that they stated that I quoted in the above quote..

"Recent research shows that this is not true and that caffeine has a diuretic effect only if you consume large amounts of it — more than 500 to 600 milligrams (the equivalent of 5 to 7 cups of coffee) a day. "

You stated " even if you drink the whole pot"

Average coffee pot is 8-12 cups.. sooo therefore exceeding the 5-7 cups a day that the MAYO CLINIC stated.

I said it won't dehydrate you if you drink the whole pot. Nothing you posted refutes that. If you don't want a diuretic effect, don't drink too much of anything.

OK REALLY. What are you not getting.

caffeine has a diuretic effect only if you consume large amounts of it — more than 500 to 600 milligrams (the equivalent of 5 to 7 cups of coffee) a day. "

Saying Yea coffee wont dehydrate you if you have only a couple cups but more than 5-7 cups a day it could. You stated it wont dehydrate you if you drink the WHOLE POT. I was JOKING with you stating actually if you drank the whole post you COULD actually get dehydrated since most average coffee pots are 8-12 cups.

:::::BANGSHEADONTABLE:::::

Stop banging your head and really think about what you are saying. Diuretic and dehydration are not the same things.

Drinking too much water has a diuretic effect. Drinking too much water does not cause dehydration Get it?

Well yes I get that but if you are supposed to consume so much water a day and are not drinking too much water, just your normal however many ounces a day you should be drinking then it isnt causing a diuretic effect. But if you are drinking too much coffee which does have a duretic effect then aren't you just pissing out water that your body should be getting. Hence causing you to become dehydrated since you are pissing out that daily allowance water. Or am I just over thinking this?
  • Stinkerbelle84
    Options
    I think there is just a little bit over thinking going on :wink:
  • Jessika421
    Jessika421 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I think everyone here is convinced they are chronically dehydrated from drinking diet soda, and retaining gallons of water at the same time.

This made me laugh.
  • starzluv94
    starzluv94 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    COFFEE HAS CAFFINE WHICH IS A DIURETIC. IT DEHYDRATES YOU. FOR EVERY SERVING OF CAFFINE YOU DRINK YOU MUST DRINK TWO GLASSES OF WATER TO HERE IT COMES..... MAKE UP FOR THE WATER *LOSS* . sO NO YOU CANNOT COUNT IT AS WATER.
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    If its wet and makes me pee, I count it as water. Why? Because I can:bigsmile: For every one answer yes, you will get two answers ..no....lol! Try going on the internet.....same thing there. I follow the Mayo clinic website and they say.....yes, it counts as water.....also.....its not as good for you as pure water, but still counts. You make the decision! Ha! too many know it alls on here.
  • entropy83
    entropy83 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Heh.

If your pee is quite light in color and relatively odorless, you're getting enough water. Keep doing what you're doing.

If your pee is dark and smells, you're not getting enough water. Drink some more, regardless of how much you're currently drinking.

Don't overthink :P

^^This.
  • grimm1974
    grimm1974 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    COFFEE HAS CAFFINE WHICH IS A DIURETIC. IT DEHYDRATES YOU. FOR EVERY SERVING OF CAFFINE YOU DRINK YOU MUST DRINK TWO GLASSES OF WATER TO HERE IT COMES..... MAKE UP FOR THE WATER *LOSS* . sO NO YOU CANNOT COUNT IT AS WATER.

Completely false information.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Well yes I get that but if you are supposed to consume so much water a day and are not drinking too much water, just your normal however many ounces a day you should be drinking then it isnt causing a diuretic effect. But if you are drinking too much coffee which does have a duretic effect then aren't you just pissing out water that your body should be getting. Hence causing you to become dehydrated since you are pissing out that daily allowance water. Or am I just over thinking this?

Caffeine, like all diuretics, has a diuretic effect in proportion to the amount consumed. It also provides water in proportion to the amount consumed. At no point can the diuretic effect exceed the amount of water consumed. It's simply not possible with a constant caffeine-to-water ratio.

Pure coffee all day long is not how I'd choose to get my water - I'd end up with an acid-feeling stomach - but it's still a valid way to get it. Pure espresso, on the other hand, will probably kick in a much higher diuretic effect since it has a MUCH higher caffeine content per ounce of water.

Personally, I don't count it as water, but then again I need 8-10 8oz glasses in addition to my coffee or my urine starts darkening up and I get thirsty. Now that I'm drinking plenty of liquids, I've learned to recognize the signals my body sends when it needs more, and I meet those needs.

For people who drink insufficient fluids, thirst is often confused with hunger. For people who drink enough, you'll know when your body needs more, and pretty much any fluid will do fine - some are just somewhat more efficient than others. And it's always better to drink a *little* more than you need.

The whole debate is moot if you just check your urine color to see if you're drinking enough water. Then you don't have to count ANYTHING or argue about what to count.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    I love how you just ignored pages of information that dispute this. But I guess if you YELL ANYTHING LOUD ENOUGH IT BECOMES TRUE!!
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options

That is simply not true. Haven't you read this thread at all?
  • Lil_MiSsSunshiNe
    Options
    I love how you just ignored pages of information that dispute this. But I guess if you YELL ANYTHING LOUD ENOUGH IT BECOMES TRUE!!

She lost me at the caps lock. Nobody likes being yelled at.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Why cheat your body out of actual extra water anyway? 8 cups of water really isn't THAT hard to reach.

Because it isn't necessary, and can even be harmful if you force yourself to drink beyond your natural thirst.

"Harmful" would only apply if you were drinking truly ridiculous amounts of water - such as over 2 gallons a day. For someone whose body actually needs 6 8 ounce glasses, drinking 2 extra glasses of water is not harmful in the least.

8 8oz glasses is still a good recommendation as a generalization, and it doesn't hurt to tell people to NOT count caffeinated or alcoholic beverages in that total, even if it causes most people to mildly over-consume water. It's easy to remember and sufficient to hydrate pretty much anyone without some specific medical condition under all but the most extreme conditions. In other words, us desk jockeys will get along just fine with 8x8.

If you work outdoors in the heat, you'll probably need more, but then again you'll probably quickly learn that and DRINK more, because dehydration headaches and heatstroke are just no fun whatsoever and cut deeply into productivity, and you'll quickly learn that if it's your job on the line.

If you want to do it more accurately and with more certainty and in a way that will give you an individualized response that takes everything into account, drink 8x8 for a couple of days, then start checking your urine color every time you pee.

All of which doesn't contradict what I said at all. Forcing yourself to drink too much water can be harmful.

I can come up with pretend scenarios too, where drinking an extra few glasses of water sends you over the edge and kills you. We can make up any scenario we want, which is why I said "can even be" not "is."

If you're forcing yourself to drink 64 oz.of water, on top of a pot of coffee, on top of 2 extra glasses of water for every cup of coffee like some people claim, plus soda since it's not really water, and a few cups of tea, which also don't count, all on top of everything you're eating and drinking anyway, then it's entirely possible that you're going to do something bad to your body.

I say throw out all the nonsense and numbers and drink if you're thirsty.

Edit: Now I'm thirsty and going to get something to drink, and I'm not going to count it as anything.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Yes, it counts as water. Turning water into coffee does nothing except flavor the water and add a little caffeine. The body extracts most of the water it needs from food. It can certainly extract it from coffee, soda and tea.

Also, the whole 64 oz. a day thing is a myth anyway.

wow, this comment clearly started an intense debate. But, without reading any of it, I would like to add that QI said the effects of caffeine are negligable, and your body is definitely still able to use the H2O in coffee for it's purposes.

If Stephen Fry says it, it's good enough for me :D
  • EvilPink
    EvilPink Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Heh.

If your pee is quite light in color and relatively odorless, you're getting enough water. Keep doing what you're doing.

If your pee is dark and smells, you're not getting enough water. Drink some more, regardless of how much you're currently drinking.

I seriously think this is the simplest solution / answer. Every one has a different opinion; yes it counts, no it doesn't because caffeine dehydrates you, and on and on. There's also a thousand medical theories and studies behind it as well that could likely vouch for both sides. The whole pee thing; while it may seem a crude form of measure, is one standard for assessing dehydration that can be agreed upon by all the "experts." So...check out your pee. Nearly no color and no odor? Horray! Your coffee counts, lol.
  • sabified
    Options
    Heh.

I like this advice the best :) This will be my go-to.

Thanks lady :)

Edit to say* Thanks susannamarie :) I realized after posting that some people (most people :$) might not read the "thanks lady" in the little kid voice from Anamaniacs like how I thought it.... not meaning to be rude, at all!
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    What about WATERmelon... do i count that...Just asking.
  • sabified
    Options
    What about WATERmelon... do i count that...Just asking.

I would. It's definitely a DIURETIC! for me at least. lol