Do you tell them or let them figure it out on their own?

Options

Replies

• weighlossforbaby
    weighlossforbaby Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    My name is Sandra but I go by Sandi and some people call me cindy if they don't hear me right :( My last name is very difficult for a lot of people cause it's Hoitsma and they never know how to pronounce it.
  • Salvi30
    Salvi30 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I let it be because 95% of the time people spell it wrong.. People say it right, of course, but can never spell it correctly.Oh well, I am used to it.
  • Darkskinned88
    Darkskinned88 Posts: 1,177 Member
    Options
    I correct them once, if they mess up again i no longer speak.
  • justbecause2014
    justbecause2014 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I've gotten lots of names! LOL My name is Jillian not hard at all! I've been called Julian several times, one lady even thought I said Cindy....Really!?! Depending on the person I tend to just let it go, but sometimes I correct them.
  • Dawna954
    Dawna954 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    To help lighten the mood. I play soccer on a competitive ladies team. My name is Dawna which is an unusual spelling. My close friends call me "D".
    Well we had another girl join the team and her name is Dianne, and all of her friends call her "D".

The girls on the team wittingly put an end to the mix up..... Dianne is called "D" and I am now known as "Double D"...... enough said!!!!! lol
  • Sissy4EverX3
    Sissy4EverX3 Posts: 247
    Options
    I often get called Jennifer. My name is Jessica. And yes, though I do speak a little fast when answer the phone at work.. tell me, in what universe's language does Jessica sound like Stephanie?
  • anabell31
    anabell31 Posts: 268
    Options
    I've been called Anell and Nunnely, both of which are nowhere close to my real name XD. I've given up on correcting people
  • FlyByJuly
    FlyByJuly Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Vallandingham. That's "Landing" with a "Val" on one end and "Ham" on the other. Very phonetic, but people screw it up in so many ways. The one that boggle me is when people pronounce it VanLandingham. Wher the heck did they get that extra N.

On a side note, usually when I am at a counter and spelling my name out, I invariably get "That's a long one." or "That's a mouthhful." Standard reply is "That's what she said."

LOL!!! Totally love it!! (yeah, I know...that's what she said!)
  • njmp
    njmp Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    :tongue: This is why it irriates me when people spell their kids names all kinds of crazy just to make them different. If you are naming your daughter Jessica, you are hurting no one but her if you spell is Jesikah. She will be forced to correct people. Her entire life. I know, slightly off topic, but for real. Just because it makes sense phonetically does not mean that it makes sense.:tongue:
  • focus4fitness
    focus4fitness Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I have a normal name with a strange spelling. Sometimes I correct them, sometimes I don't. Its kind of funny when they get it wrong all the time. My boss when I was 18 never got my name right and it was a great source of amusement for my coworkers lol
  • jallen1955
    jallen1955 Posts: 121
    Options
    I just smile and carry on.

My name is Jackie....I get called everything from Chelsea to Stephanie to Becky ....
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I'm Alyssa. And just think how that sounds if you hear that sentence. So I get called Melissa and other mispronunciations all the time. I intermittently correct or don't depending on the circumstances. If I think I'll be talking to them a lot and they ought to learn my name, I'll correct. If it is inconsequential, I won't.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

For me it is the spelling that is more annoying. Everyone is continually spelling my name wrong - even people I have worked with for the last 6 years! So annoying! How can you misspell my name when you are sending an email to me and my name pops up? My name is RIGHT there...lol

I always wonder the same thing! My name is less than an inch away - look there and spell correctly! Especially when my co-workers do it - I've sent you 7,000 emails in the past 4 years all with my name spelled correctly - it's only FOUR letters - how is this hard?!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    We go to this sushi bar frequently and really like the chef, he always greets us by name, but I swear he calls my son Taylor. I'm not sure if it's his accent or he thinks my son's name is Taylor (it's actually Tyler).
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    :tongue: This is why it irriates me when people spell their kids names all kinds of crazy just to make them different. If you are naming your daughter Jessica, you are hurting no one but her if you spell is Jesikah. She will be forced to correct people. Her entire life. I know, slightly off topic, but for real. Just because it makes sense phonetically does not mean that it makes sense.:tongue:

Word sista. I absolutely don't get trying to be unique by giving a common name and spelling it jacked. Do they really expect their kid to say "Hi, my name is" ***hands person a sheet of paper with their awesomely spelled name on it***?
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    My daughters name is Sydney.
    She will introduce herself (she is 5) and people will call her Cindy.
    She will correct them.
    "No.. It's SYD-NEE!!!"

If she can do it, so can you :)

My Daughters name is Sydney and we go through that as well. I never imagined that when we chose the name. I'm always saying "as in Australia" or "she is not a Brady"
  • jnite
    jnite Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    My name is Julene, and you wouldn't believe the names I get!! Most common is Jolene, understandable. I usually just go by Jo and I don't correct, I've found that if people can't or won't pronounce it right after the first couple of tries, they never will.:laugh:
  • luvJOJO
    luvJOJO Posts: 1,881 Member
    Options
    I've gotten lots of names! LOL My name is Jillian not hard at all! I've been called Julian several times, one lady even thought I said Cindy....Really!?! Depending on the person I tend to just let it go, but sometimes I correct them.

LOL! My son's name is Julian and he gets called Jillian.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    My name is Mary Ann, but when my clients call me they hear will sometimes hear Mary Ellen, Marilyn, Mary and Miriam. Some of the odder "I can tell YOU weren't listening options are Maribeth, Melody, JoAnne, and the list goes on. With them I usually just go about my business and take care of them. With family and friends, they DO get corrected. For 10 years, my cousin's husband called me "Ann" (all of us girls in the family are ALL named Mary as a first name. Some of them go by their middle names, but I don't). For ten years I would tell hime "It's Mary Ann". Finally I had enough, I grabbed his face and yelled "IT'S MARY ANN". Now he calls me by the right name.
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    My son's name is Evan and people call him Ivan. Drives him nuts.
    And my spanish speaking family can't pronounce Evan either lol.