Do you tell them or let them figure it out on their own?

Options
123457»

Replies

• pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    I'm Lauren. LAW-ren. Not LOR-n. Loren is a man's name.

Pretty much the only people who say it correctly are my own parents and other people named Lauren. I don't bother to correct anyone because that would seem pretentious, I think.

I also get called "Laura" and "Laurie" a lot. Because that last -en is just so taxing and hard to remember...

:grumble:
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    :tongue: This is why it irriates me when people spell their kids names all kinds of crazy just to make them different. If you are naming your daughter Jessica, you are hurting no one but her if you spell is Jesikah. She will be forced to correct people. Her entire life. I know, slightly off topic, but for real. Just because it makes sense phonetically does not mean that it makes sense.:tongue:

THIS!!

I teach school, so I see all kinds of interesting combinations. Some are adorable ("Blessy") and some are bizarre. The most irritating as of late has been "Madysyn" (as opposed to the over-used Madison.) I'm like "Really...?" Not cute or original. You just look like you cannot spell.

I have a very common and generic name that people often mispronounce, but they don't ever have to ask me to spell it out. Which is awesome.