Looking for Feminist Friends

Options
I've been a member of MFP since December 2011 and have had a pretty mixed experience. I have made some great friends here, but when I come to the message boards I often get discouraged. I see a lot of jokes about sexual and domestic violence, anti-gay comments, comments objectifying women, etc. It's pretty discouraging.

I'm looking for some feminist/progressive friends on MFP! I'm always thinking about how to balance my weight loss goals with a feminist rejection of fat hatred and body shaming. It's hard to want a thin body while rejecting patriarchal standards of beauty - it's a daily struggle for me.

I'd love to find some friends and create a community where we can motivate, follow, and support each other while holding ourselves and each other accountable as feminists!

Replies

• justaspringhaze
    Options
    Anyone?
  • kimikinsx3
    kimikinsx3 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Well hello there! You found someone to help you out!!
  • Drenched_N_Motivation
    Drenched_N_Motivation Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    You are woman. Roar!!
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    feminist here.

i feel the same way about the boards!
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    me too:)
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I don't know that I'd label myself a feminist, because I just live my life the way it makes sense to me (i.e. I don't see myself as having a "feminist agenda"), BUT everything you said makes perfect sense to me, so feel free to add me if you want.

I'm online almost everyday and try to comment as much as I can when work and a crazy schedule don't get in the way. I try to keep my comments positive but I'll call you out in a constructive (not bashing) way if I see something that looks like it's contrary to your goals.

I've got my ups and downs and sometimes I bash on myself, but never on other people!!

I agree with you about the negative posts so I just don't participate in those.

Hope you manage to make a better experience for yourself with a new group of friends!
    All the best,
    Jen
  • loriesch
    loriesch Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Just signed up today and agree with your comments. Looking forward to this experience -- it's nice not to have to do it alone.
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Count me in......Eugene, Oregon here....nothing like an activist communtiy to support the women. So sorry that your post brought out the negative "not funny" comments....

Feel the same way you do!
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Verrrry interesting!

I've got an eye on you Natalia!

:flowerforyou:
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    I love feminists! No-one does dishes and laundry as well as a feminist!!

NOT FUNNY
  • Siobhan69
    Siobhan69 Posts: 10
    Options
    I'm in, add me as a friend if you wish! My desire to lose weight is reconciled with my feminist ideology because for me it is about being fit, healthy and strong, not fitting the socially constructed projections of 'beauty' and 'sex appeal' etc.
  • focus4fitness
    focus4fitness Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I am not sure why ALL Women don't call themselves feminists.

Another Oregon gal here :)
  • amphion
    amphion Posts: 48
    Options
    I am an ally in the LGBT community along with that comes some pretty strong feminist ideals. You are welcome to add me if you want some support in gaining a more healthy body.
  • Nataliaho
    Options
    Verrrry interesting!

I've got an eye on you Natalia!

:flowerforyou:

:tongue:
  • Nataliaho
    Options

Me too:) even my husband calls himself a feminist...
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

NOT FUNNY

Not appropriate...for sure.

But anyone with a sense of humor probably thought it was funny.

Relax ladies...if you're truly invested in how you feel...how is one guy making a joke...and another (me) teasing a friend...even remotely an issue?
  • focus4fitness
    focus4fitness Posts: 551 Member
    Options

Me too:) even my husband calls himself a feminist...

exactly!
  • trudefaith
    trudefaith Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I love feminists! No-one does dishes and laundry as well as a feminist!! :laugh: :wink:
    hahahahahahahahah!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options

NOT FUNNY
    agreed!
  • reactor25
    reactor25 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Feminist trying to get fit right here, friend me if you like :)
This discussion has been closed.