Looking for Feminist Friends

Options

Replies

• abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I've seen a certain amount of hating on certain body types, but it comes as much from women as men IMO.

do you ever wonder why women hate each other so much? seriously, think about you're saying here. i'm not here to judge or attack you, but really, you've got to think more deeply.

answer: patriarchal/anti-feminist self-hatred is imposed on girls as soon as we are able to even understand the (socially constructed) concept of gender. if that's too complicated, think of it this way: we are trained to hate each other because society favors men and having women turn against one another is a powerful strategy employed by patriarchal social institutions.

Hmmm....maybe. Sounds a little conspiracy theory-ish to me though :smile:

it's not conspiracy theory, it's feminist theory. unless of course you equate feminism with conspiracy...

I said conspiracy theory-ish. As in, somewhat like a conspiracy theory. The idea that there's this master plan in place to make women hate each other so men can rule the world is just....odd, to me.

I love men, but I don't think they're that smart :laugh:

(No offense, y'all)
  • led6777
    led6777 Posts: 268
    Options
    I've seen a certain amount of hating on certain body types, but it comes as much from women as men IMO.

do you ever wonder why women hate each other so much? seriously, think about you're saying here. i'm not here to judge or attack you, but really, you've got to think more deeply.

answer: patriarchal/anti-feminist self-hatred is imposed on girls as soon as we are able to even understand the (socially constructed) concept of gender. if that's too complicated, think of it this way: we are trained to hate each other because society favors men and having women turn against one another is a powerful strategy employed by patriarchal social institutions.

Hmmm....maybe. Sounds a little conspiracy theory-ish to me though :smile:

it's not conspiracy theory, it's feminist theory. unless of course you equate feminism with conspiracy...

That makes a lot more sense than your first comment. I mean...if we can do it you can too right?...though I guess we're just better at it (uh oh), because even WE didn't know we were doing it.

"it" being what?
  • cellokitty91
    cellokitty91 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    To the OP, Add me! :) I love guys as much as I do gals but I'm all for equality and abandoning stereotypical gender roles.
  • focus4fitness
    focus4fitness Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Different people ask for different types of friends on these boards all the time, why is this different? Progressive/liberals, conservatives, Christians, atheists, Muslims, sports fans, parents, moms, dads etc. They’re not asking for you (general you) or anyone else to berate them or troll the crap out of their thread because their title threatens you.

All of this trolling is beyond silly. If you guys are that threatened by feminism I suggest you get a hobby.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Omg! you summed up my feelings exactly! Totally adding you :D
  • blnorman29
    blnorman29 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Again for those still reading and willing to listen, patriarchy isn't a conspiracy theory where men sit in a room and devise ways to oppress women. Patriarchy is a system that through history has given advantages or privileges to those who haven't necessarily earned it, in this case usually men and generally those who are white and straight. Think of it more as a leaning in one's favor kind of system. There is a built in favoritism towards men in our society, and in most societies. It doesn't make all men right or wrong. It just means our system is unequal, and feminism acknowledges this and strives to correct the imbalance. We aren't trying to take away men's rights, we're trying to give more rights to those who don't have them.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    I love men, but I don't think they're that smart :laugh:

(No offense, y'all)
    No offence taken, we're not that smart!
  • led6777
    Options
    Again for those still reading and willing to listen, patriarchy isn't a conspiracy theory where men sit in a room and devise ways to oppress women. Patriarchy is a system that through history has given advantages or privileges to those who haven't necessarily earned it, in this case usually men and generally those who are white and straight. Think of it more as a leaning in one's favor kind of system. There is a built in favoritism towards men in our society, and in most societies. It doesn't make all men right or wrong. It just means our system is unequal, and feminism acknowledges this and strives to correct the imbalance. We aren't trying to take away men's rights, we're trying to give more rights to those who don't have them.

word.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I love men, but I don't think they're that smart

I said it first hun.
    "it" being what?

Ahh, now begins the 'lets talk in circles until nothing that is said could possibly make sense due to the covoluted nature of my argument!' portion of our program.

I'll bite though. 'It' being plot and plan against the opposite gender. You know...the one most of us work our entire lives trying to comprehend...much less change.
  • Umeboshi
    Options

This.
  • justaspringhaze
    Options

Lady...you give my whole gender WAY too much credit.

was starting your response by calling me "lady" intentional irony? or am i giving you too much credit again?

Actually, it was the most polite term that sprang to mind within a reasonable time frame for an intelligent woman whom I might otherwise respect, if it wasn't for the completely moronic theory she just put forth.

So yes, you probably gave me a bit too much credit.

thought so.

He'd respect you, little lady, if only you weren't such a feminist! Proof that feminism ruins everything.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I've been a member of MFP since December 2011 and have had a pretty mixed experience. I have made some great friends here, but when I come to the message boards I often get discouraged. I see a lot of jokes about sexual and domestic violence, anti-gay comments, comments objectifying women, etc. It's pretty discouraging.

I'm looking for some feminist/progressive friends on MFP! I'm always thinking about how to balance my weight loss goals with a feminist rejection of fat hatred and body shaming. It's hard to want a thin body while rejecting patriarchal standards of beauty - it's a daily struggle for me.

I'd love to find some friends and create a community where we can motivate, follow, and support each other while holding ourselves and each other accountable as feminists!

I guess I'm a "Feminist", I'm definitely a Lesbian, but I sure don't believe in the BIG Beautiful Movement! Rejecting "patriarchal" standards of beauty is cool if there is such a standard...Men would MUCH rather a woman with "a bit of flesh" rather than a bone, history shows us that. ACTUALLY, Gay men have set the standard for female beauty and style for the last 50 years!!! Remember, it began with Twiggy...Straight men really Love Marilyn Monroe, Jane Russell types. But Gay men run the fashion Industry and they were coming into their own relative to power, so they designed for what THEY like, Flat chested, no hip women that look like 14 year old boys>>>hence Twiggy and what we see now!

So I'm all for progress, but I'm all for Truth, feminist or not.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

word.

double word.

okay I guess I wasn't quite ready to leave... I'm trying so hard not to get sucked in though lol
  • abberbabber
    Options

Ok...so what right's don't we, as women, have? I can't think of a single thing that men are allowed to do that I'm not. Maybe certain people have prejudices against women, but that's not the same thing as us not having certain rights.
  • crisanderson27
    Options

Then stop treating us all as if we're wrong, just because we're not of your gender, and don't bow down to your belief system.

Seems pretty easy to me.
  • TiffanyDeanee
    TiffanyDeanee Posts: 158
    Options
    My refresh button is getting pissed at me. Now this is one of those times I wish MFP had automatic comment updates.

Any who, do continue with the debate ladies and gentlemen.
  • Umeboshi
    Options
    I've been a member of MFP since December 2011 and have had a pretty mixed experience. I have made some great friends here, but when I come to the message boards I often get discouraged. I see a lot of jokes about sexual and domestic violence, anti-gay comments, comments objectifying women, etc. It's pretty discouraging.

I'm looking for some feminist/progressive friends on MFP! I'm always thinking about how to balance my weight loss goals with a feminist rejection of fat hatred and body shaming. It's hard to want a thin body while rejecting patriarchal standards of beauty - it's a daily struggle for me.

I'd love to find some friends and create a community where we can motivate, follow, and support each other while holding ourselves and each other accountable as feminists!

I guess I'm a "Feminist", I'm definitely a Lesbian, but I sure don't believe in the BIG Beautiful Movement! Rejecting "patriarchal" standards of beauty is cool if there is such a standard...Men would MUCH rather a woman with "a bit of flesh" rather than a bone, history shows us that. ACTUALLY, Gay men have set the standard for female beauty and style for the last 50 years!!! Remember, it began with Twiggy...Straight men really Love Marilyn Monroe, Jane Russell types. But Gay men run the fashion Industry and they were coming into their own relative to power, so they designed for what THEY like, Flat chested, no hip women that look like 14 year old boys>>>hence Twiggy and what we see now!

Okay... "Men would much rather...". That's just playing in to patriarchal beauty standards. All bodies are good bodies. Fat, thin, and in between.
    And seriously, blaming stuff on gay men also comes off as kind of homophobic.
  • abberbabber
    Options
    My refresh button is getting pissed at me. Now this is one of those times I wish MFP had automatic comment updates.

Any who, do continue with the debate ladies and gentlemen.

Right? :laugh:

I do wish I'd stop getting sucked into threads in the wee hours of the morning lol
  • crisanderson27
    Options

Please don't be offended (I don't think you will), but I could kiss you for that.

THAT, is what I believe in as 'feminism'.
  • led6777
    Options
    "it" being what?

Ahh, now begins the 'lets talk in circles until nothing that is said could possibly make sense due to the covoluted nature of my argument!' portion of our program.

I'll bite though. 'It' being plot and plan against the opposite gender. You know...the one most of us work our entire lives trying to comprehend...much less change.

my goal is definitely not to talk in circles. quite the opposite, in fact. i just needed clarification because your response was... how should i put it... inarticulate.
This discussion has been closed.