Looking for Feminist Friends

Options

Replies

• ashtonvv
    ashtonvv Posts: 144
    Options
    I love feminists! No-one does dishes and laundry as well as a feminist!! :laugh: :wink:

LMAO.. this is epic!
  • TiffanyDeanee
    TiffanyDeanee Posts: 158
    Options
    Yeah lets burn our bras and end women's suffrage now!

Well I have already ceased shaving. And you definately won't see me making any man any kind of sandwiches. :wink:
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I'm a feminist and you're welcome to add me, but I'm very new to the site so I can't promise that I'll be anything more than a lurker.
  • wildboar1
    wildboar1 Posts: 88
    Options
    I was going to major in gender studies back in college, but then I realized that I actually had to support myself after I graduated by getting a job, so I majored in engineering. I realized that, since I am a man, I couldn't get a worthless, self-aggrandizing degree like Gender Studies because I couldn't count on the patriarchy to support me, i.e. I couldn't count on finding a rich woman to marry and become a house-husband. So I majored in Engineering. My wife has a degree in womens issues though, so I still support you feminists though! Keep up the good work.
  • wordpainter09
    wordpainter09 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I'm wouldn't call myself a feminist per say, but I'm definitely progressive. I'd like to see a world where "feminism" and advocacy is no longer needed, because different kinds of people actually DON'T hate each other and live in relative egalitarianism. Of course, that's not the reality of today. Hence the progressive view :laugh:

Feel free to add me.
  • focus4fitness
    focus4fitness Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    "Feminism has fought no wars. It has killed no opponents. It has set up no concentration camps, starved no enemies, practiced no cruelties. Its battles have been for education, for the vote, for better working conditions.. for safety on the streets... for child care, for social welfare...for rape crisis centers, women's refuges, reforms in the law." (If someone says) 'Oh, I'm not a feminist,' (I ask) 'Why? What's your problem?'" - Dale Spender, author of For the Record: The Making & Meaning of Feminist Knowledge, 1985
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Whoa, lets not turn this into an attack on feminism, I don't think this thread is the place for that. I'll leave this thread after this comment so as to avoid further issues...

Wait, what's that? You want to hear my views on feminism? Oh, ok. :wink:

Personally, whilst I see there was a great need for the feminist uprising (labelled as such), I personally believe that this is an outdated term and just reinforces the mental image of an opressed woman trying desperately to seek independance and equality.

Whilst I grant that this is still a valid plight in many parts of the world, I believe that the majority of users of this forum have cast aside the shackles of male oppression, and indeed have more power than us mere males in many aspects of life. I fully support equal right (including equal pay and opportunities etc) for women and men, but the tag of feminism is counterproductive to the cause in my humble opinion.

There are a number of groups that are not given entirely equal rights in the world, including a range of ethnicities, and people from various religious and socio-ecomonic backgrounds. Surely we should be striving to be at a point in society where 'feminism' in its original sense is no longer relevant, but that we should instead be spruiking 'equal right for all'?

Anyway, my 2c... hopefully I've demonstrated that I'm not some uneducated yokel, and that my comment was meant entirely as humerous and not malicious.

:flowerforyou:
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I love feminists! No-one does dishes and laundry as well as a feminist!!

NOT FUNNY

LIES!! :laugh:

I thought it was hysterical, myself.
  • bewitchinglife
    bewitchinglife Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Feminist in Washington here! Feel free to add me.

I'm all for people taking their power and running with it. There is a lot of power in taking your health and wellness into your hands.
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I'm down for the burning of the bra's, as someone suggested.
    I just came here to address something OP posted. As far as patriarchal beauty standards, screw 'em. It is healthy to be at a normal weight, and that is what you should strive for, health. There is nothing wrong with wanting to look a certain way for yourself. So long as you truly want to do it for you, you shouldn't worry about anything else.
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options

Anyway, my 2c... hopefully I've demonstrated that I'm not some uneducated yokel, and that my comment was meant entirely as humerous and not malicious.

Wouldn't want to be humorous or logical now would you ?

Irony and satire can sometimes be hard to illustrate without body language but I think you did well.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Whoa, lets not turn this into an attack on feminism, I don't think this thread is the place for that. I'll leave this thread after this comment so as to avoid further issues...

Personally, whilst I see there was a great need for the feminist uprising (labelled as such), I personally believe that this is an outdated term and just reinforces the mental image of an opressed woman trying desperately to seek independance and equality.

Whilst I grant that this is still a valid plight in many parts of the world, I believe that the majority of users of this forum have cast aside the shackles of male oppression, and indeed have more power than us mere males in many aspects of life. I fully support equal right (including equal pay and opportunities etc) for women and men, but the tag of feminism is counterproductive to the cause in my humble opinion.

There are a number of groups that are not given entirely equal rights in the world, including a range of ethnicities, and people from various religious and socio-ecomonic backgrounds. Surely we should be striving to be at a point in society where 'feminism' in its original sense is no longer relevant, but that we should instead be spruiking 'equal right for all'?

I'm not sure you fully understand the meaning of the word from what I've gathered from your posts.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

Dude...have you been reading my journal?

Nice to have the target off MY back for once though...lol.
  • abberbabber
    Options
    I'm curious...of the women who consider themselves "feminists", what is it that makes you so? What's your definition of feminism?
  • futiledevices
    futiledevices Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    canadian feminist here :flowerforyou:
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

I'm not sure you fully understand the meaning of the word from what I've gathered from your posts.

You're right...he forgot passive/aggressive and narrow minded.

Oh...and a definite requirement to have your sense of humor forcibly removed.
  • futiledevices
    futiledevices Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Any place the word "feminism" is mentioned, you will usually find a male who feels threatened by it in some way. I have yet to fully understand why.
  • focus4fitness
    focus4fitness Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I'm curious...of the women who consider themselves "feminists", what is it that makes you so? What's your definition of feminism?

Women are people.
  • reneedansell
    Options
    are you sure you understand that traditionally feminist think women are better than men?
    How bout equality?
    Anyone who thinks everyone are equals? I'd to meet you! but not feminists.
  • abberbabber
    Options

Women are people.

That seems....deceptively simple :laugh:
This discussion has been closed.