dating event bans fat people

Options
12346»

Replies

• _hi_hat3r_
    _hi_hat3r_ Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I'm fat and I would not be offended. To each its own. Besides they're probably not cool enough to be graced with all my awesomeness anyway.
  • coachblt
    coachblt Posts: 1,090
    Options
    Offensive...yeah, I can see that. Tacky...absolutely.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    You know what I find offensive? I really want to go and live in an old age home, I mean they take care of you and do everything. But I can't because I'm not old. HOW RUDE. And who defines who's old or not? Gosh...
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Age restrictions are different and quantifiable. Either you are in your 20's or you are not. Size is subjective. Size 12 is considered fat by some and a goal by others. How would you determine who was too fat?

Are you kidding?

Height and weight are quantifiable. Height and weight gives you a BMI. A cutoff BMI of 30 as "too fat" is no different than a cut off of age 30 as being "too old".

Not that I subscribe to that idea myself... way too many attractive people over 30.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

Can you tell me of a medical condition that would make anyone 100+ lbs. overweight even on a calorie deficit & exercising? Those medical conditions can only make a person burn fewer calories than those who don't have it BUT c'mon that alone won't make somebody suddenly 100+ lbs. overweight. Having those medical conditions isn't an excuse as to why you're overweight, it only means that the one who has it needs to exert a little more effort to burn off similar amount of calories & to create a similar deficit as to those who have normal conditions. Yes it may take a bit longer than usual to lose weight but it CAN still be done.

I was diagnosed with PCOS last 2009 & in fact it took me three long years just to lose those 50 lbs. If we do the typical 3,500 calories/week = 1 pound lost, that is supposed to take only one year given that we have 52 weeks in a year. Now given that condition, I would have just dreamed of being slim but NO, I still did all my best to get here where I am now.

I took a medication that not only made me gain weight, but no matter what exercise or calorie deficit I had, I couldn't lose weight. I think it took me 6 months to lose a pound eating the way I am now. I had to come off of that medicine, and I am lucky enough that I was able to do that. There are other people that can't stop taking the medication, and my doctor told me that due to another medical condition, none of the alternatives would be any better for me. Someone in my situation that could not stop taking the medicine would be in a very rough spot.
  • sgarrard01
    sgarrard01 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Can i just point out that there are a number of what i would consider to be very attractive girls, supposidly sticking up for the 'a few extra pounds' type of guy.... and almost give the impression they wouldnt be fussed at all....

my quetion is... WHERE IN THE HELL ARE YOU IN REAL LIFE! ha ha :-(

Si x
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    Meh, those people deserve each other I guess. I already have a boyfriend so what do I care? :P
  • EmCarroll1990
    Options
    Can i just point out that there are a number of what i would consider to be very attractive girls, supposidly sticking up for the 'a few extra pounds' type of guy.... and almost give the impression they wouldnt be fussed at all....

my quetion is... WHERE IN THE HELL ARE YOU IN REAL LIFE! ha ha :-(

Si x

I found this adorable.
  • andrewsmommy13
    andrewsmommy13 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's offensive.

Being overweight is a choice.

I don't respect people aren't taking care of their bodies, this includes by doing drugs or staying overweight or anything that is destructive, and I certainly wouldn't want to date someone who is.

Being overweight is a choice? Give me a break. There are those that have medical reasons as to why they are overweight.

Being overweight is a choice to a point. Most people just have never really been taught how to avoid being overweight . In my circumstance, I was completely ignorant on how to control my weight. I took health in high school and college. I never learned anything that really taught me a healthy lifestyle. I graduated 2nd in my class and have a pretty high iq, so it wasn't due to my inability to grasp what they taught. I simply was not taught the basics for living healthy.

There is a lot of ignorance surrounding the obesity problem in this country. I see a lot of it on these forums. People seem to think that if you are obese it is because you are lazy, eat constantly, and don't care about yourself. Maybe some are, but I see far more people that are just lost and have no idea how to get back. I would suggest that people should not just make blanket judgements based on physical appearance. I tend to believe people are inherently deserving of respect until they prove otherwise.

Thank you for such an intelligent response! I agree with you completely. I was never taught how to live a healthy lifestyle. But I am learning now and trying to make it a healthy lifestyle change for my family and myself.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    Age restrictions are different and quantifiable. Either you are in your 20's or you are not. Size is subjective. Size 12 is considered fat by some and a goal by others. How would you determine who was too fat?

Are you kidding?

Height and weight are quantifiable. Height and weight gives you a BMI. A cutoff BMI of 30 as "too fat" is no different than a cut off of age 30 as being "too old".

Not that I subscribe to that idea myself... way too many attractive people over 30.

Damn, if they use BMI as a cutoff, I'm not going. I like a built or builtfat guy and even at low BF their BMI would be high.

Someone said they actually used size 10 as a cutoff, which is even stupider, as I've seen plenty of small framed obese or overweight girls that don't hit that size. As I've seen people who are relatively in shape that are damn close to that.

Meh, I don't object to the idea of narrowing the subset of allowed people, but I think that with this criteria, there is no good way to do it. bodyfat% is the best measure of whether someone is fat or not, so I demand a caliper test on everyone entering the event. Also, everyone must wear bathing suits so that the caliper sites are unclothed.

Who's coming to my party?
  • EmCarroll1990
    Options
    Random thought: Maybe it'll motivate those denied to lose weight.