Hottest Geek/Nerd on MFP

Options

Replies

• Notavi
    Notavi Posts: 6
    Options
    Hmm, my geek / nerd credentials (for judging)

* Computer Programmer and always wanted to be one
    * Run Gentoo Linux as my primary OS (and have done for several years)
    * Hobbies include Dungeons and Dragons, painting miniatures and Tabletop wargaming.
    * Have done the all-night gaming session thing many, many times
    * My apartment contains 3 full sized book cases (1 fiction, 2 non-fiction) and 2 small cases (D&D stuff and boardgames).
    * None of it smells like rich mahogany
    * I built my own media-centre PC
    * Fluent in C, C++, Python and Java, even though I use none of these languages in a professional capacity.
    * Have read Godel Escher Bach by Douglas Hofstader.
  • nessvsgiygas
    nessvsgiygas Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Not even trying to enter the realm of Blowing Hot Air, here. My nerdiness is not meant to appeal to the eyes, and if it does--I still won't fall for it unless it can be matched with a strikingly similar personality...not a cute, fashion-foward, hipster-wannabe.

Some of these posts......................./facepalm

Ooohhh how I miss the days of the true, unpopular, overly-excited nerd...that's the kind I'm into. None of that faux "Because I'm popular, I can turn cliches I used to take a royal dump on into trends!" bs.
  • JulieH3art
    JulieH3art Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    simplymaladro: we'd love for you to share your nerd interests with us. what does it matter if others like what you do? Does that make it any less nerdy? I apologise if I'm being presumptuous now but it sounds like you are generalizing us all into "cute, fashion-forward hipster-wannabes", which I have to admit, being foreign and all, I'm not even sure what is.

What makes you so sure the people here aren't overly-excited, as you put it? I definitely consider myself an enthusiast of the things that I love. Who doesn't? It doesn't bother me that nerdy stuff has become more popular lately - on the contrary, I'm happy that more people can share the things I've always considered to be great.
  • nevertoolate2
    nevertoolate2 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Not even trying to enter the realm of Blowing Hot Air, here. My nerdiness is not meant to appeal to the eyes, and if it does--I still won't fall for it unless it can be matched with a strikingly similar personality...not a cute, fashion-foward, hipster-wannabe.

Ooohhh how I miss the days of the true, unpopular, overly-excited nerd...that's the kind I'm into. None of that faux "Because I'm popular, I can turn cliches I used to take a royal dump on into trends!" bs.

Something prompted you to post on a fun. light-hearted thread that pokes fun at parts of our nature, likes and hobbies that we enjoy but are often seen as outside what is considered mainstream or cool. I suppose it highlights that actually none of us entirely mainstream and none of us is entirely a nerd. I'm not entirely sure I understand what you were seeking to achieve with your post but thanks for the contribution.
  • JulieH3art
    JulieH3art Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Every community has a subgroup of people who are excluding and elitist. Not saying this applies to simplymaladro, because I'm still a little confused about what she means. But there's always someone not willing to share the goodies. The "I liked X before you were even born" type people. The type of people who discard other people's interests because they consider it a "trend" or a "fad". Because it's impossible to love something truly while it is mainstream.

Personally, I'm just happy Joss Whedon is finally getting some screen time. Is he "mainstream" now? Maybe. But can't we focus on the perks instead of feeling like our personal playground is being invaded?
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    simplymaladro: we'd love for you to share your nerd interests with us. what does it matter if others like what you do? Does that make it any less nerdy? I apologise if I'm being presumptuous now but it sounds like you are generalizing us all into "cute, fashion-forward hipster-wannabes", which I have to admit, being foreign and all, I'm not even sure what is.

What makes you so sure the people here aren't overly-excited, as you put it? I definitely consider myself an enthusiast of the things that I love. Who doesn't? It doesn't bother me that nerdy stuff has become more popular lately - on the contrary, I'm happy that more people can share the things I've always considered to be great.

Julie...your boyfriend is one of the luckiest guys on the planet. You're reasonable, kind, intelligent, well-mannered, and ultra-geeky. Not to mention incredibly beautiful.

I do believe you stole the show Miss.

Well played!

:flowerforyou:
  • nevertoolate2
    Options
    Second that and add to all of that an unabiding passion for Douglas Adams. Will have to google Ross Whedon though, never heard of the fellow
  • Loko_Ino
    Loko_Ino Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Every community has a subgroup of people who are excluding and elitist. Not saying this applies to simplymaladro, because I'm still a little confused about what she means. But there's always someone not willing to share the goodies. The "I liked X before you were even born" type people. The type of people who discard other people's interests because they consider it a "trend" or a "fad". Because it's impossible to love something truly while it is mainstream.

Personally, I'm just happy Joss Whedon is finally getting some screen time. Is he "mainstream" now? Maybe. But can't we focus on the perks instead of feeling like our personal playground is being invaded?

Well said. I say you win.
  • Thinsposa
    Thinsposa Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I feel like this is the mothership calling me home.
  • nevertoolate2
    Options
    Welcome aboard. I am sorry though, before we can let you in, you must confirm your credentials for nerdiness. Unless you are a telephone sanitiser in which case membership is assured.
  • Pink_Tina
    Pink_Tina Posts: 164
    Options
    I'm not competing at all, but I just wanted to say that a family that plays table-top D & D together stays together. Also, if Felicia Day was on here, she'd have my vote hands down. Love that chick! :D
  • nessvsgiygas
    Options
    "We'd love for you to share your nerd interests with us. what does it matter if others like what you do? Does that make it any less nerdy? I apologise if I'm being presumptuous now but it sounds like you are generalizing us all into "cute, fashion-forward hipster-wannabes", which I have to admit, being foreign and all, I'm not even sure what is. What makes you so sure the people here aren't overly-excited, as you put it? I definitely consider myself an enthusiast of the things that I love. Who doesn't? It doesn't bother me that nerdy stuff has become more popular lately - on the contrary, I'm happy that more people can share the things I've always considered to be great."
    JulieH3art

If you'll be so kind as to reread, I did say some of these posts--not all. Jumping the gun entirely by assuming I'm generalizing every single person in the thread. I did clarify. I also did not make any kind of claim that no one should be enthusiastic about the things they loved--I was simply saying the type of giddy, excited nerd, not the "oh man, I'm a nerd, I'm so awkward lol, omg"--the fake humility bs. I'm all for wearing your nerd colors proudly. Believe me. But I don't see a reason to be offended unless you thought I was speaking directly to you or attacking you personally, which clearly I wasn't, seeing that I had to go read your posts after clicking back to the end of the thread.

"Something prompted you to post on a fun. light-hearted thread that pokes fun at parts of our nature, likes and hobbies that we enjoy but are often seen as outside what is considered mainstream or cool. I suppose it highlights that actually none of us entirely mainstream and none of us is entirely a nerd. I'm not entirely sure I understand what you were seeking to achieve with your post but thanks for the contribution."
    -stephenpuk

And I am doing just that. Poking fun at parts of our nature. Maybe some read my post with a bad taste in their mouth, but it was meant to be somewhat humorous.

"Every community has a subgroup of people who are excluding and elitist. Not saying this applies to simplymaladroit, because I'm still a little confused about what she means. But there's always someone not willing to share the goodies. The "I liked X before you were even born" type people. The type of people who discard other people's interests because they consider it a "trend" or a "fad". Because it's impossible to love something truly while it is mainstream. Personally, I'm just happy Joss Whedon is finally getting some screen time. Is he "mainstream" now? Maybe. But can't we focus on the perks instead of feeling like our personal playground is being invaded?"
    -JulieH3art

I mean, I just don't feel like I have to prove anything to anyone. And the fact that people are trying to prove they are said nerd just rubs me the wrong way. Maybe I'm just modest. Maybe I just don't believe in tooting my own horn. And maybe. Just maybe, I found some of the posts hilariously too showy.

Noted again, no *****y intent.

And I'm far from discarding any kind of interest because of it's social status. I could care less about things becoming "mainstream", but it's the people who take one small ounce of something that could be considered the geek stereotype, like just wearing glasses...and wearing glasses alone...to create this entire persona just to hop in on the hype. Not the fact that it's popular. And AGAIN. This wasn't directed towards anyone who even responded to me at all--you all are without a doubt, nerds, if that's what you wanted to hear.

And feel free to focus on the positives and the perks. But just be mindful please, instead of making me out to be the jerk, that you took the time out to let if effect YOU. You could have easily ignored me, but I understand your intent. You just didn't understand mine.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

Good for you. You know what you like and liked. That view isn't shared by others though so I think we can agree to live and let live?

Having said that Maladroit is the name of Weezer's fourth album. They could be considered geeky / nerdy but are now also decidedly mainstream. Funny how things change over time eh?
  • nevertoolate2
    Options
    I'm not competing at all, but I just wanted to say that a family that plays table-top D & D together stays together. Also, if Felicia Day was on here, she'd have my vote hands down. Love that chick! :D

Family D&D is cool and definitely up there for nerdiness qualification - how's it work with sibling rivalry or is that not an issue for your family?
  • nessvsgiygas
    Options

Good for you. You know what you like and liked. That view isn't shared by others though so I think we can agree to live and let live?

Having said that Maladroit is the name of Weezer's fourth album. They could be considered geeky / nerdy but are now also decidedly mainstream. Funny how things change over time eh?

I definitely agree to live and let live.

Haha and even though Maladroit was indeed a Weezer album (and I love them), that's not the meaning behind the name.

I am the clumsiest person you'll ever meet........simply...maladroit.
  • nevertoolate2
    Options
    One for Julie - bet you wish it was a shorter journey to the UK now

http://www.hitchhikerslive.com/

And of course we should be celebrating towel day today

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Towel_Day
  • markmeus
    markmeus Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I work for Microsoft, so if that doesn't make me a geek I don't know what does lol!
  • nevertoolate2
    Options
    I work for Microsoft, so if that doesn't make me a geek I don't know what does lol!

Cool and geeky at the same time - I think I will go and make myself a cup of tea and think about that
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options

Sounds very "hipster" to me :ohwell: :ohwell:
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

Haha and even though Maladroit was indeed a Weezer album (and I love them), that's not the meaning behind the name.

I am the clumsiest person you'll ever meet........simply...maladroit.

Lol - I had kind of guessed that you were using maladroit in a different context but was trying to be a smartass. Which is better than being a dumbass I guess. Which I am known to be on occasion....

I have a theory that clumsiness is actually a reliable indicator of nerdiness. Our minds are concentrated on processing more complex information, constructs and ideas that they leave inconsequential details, like not walking into doors...or putting your hand in the toaster...as minor, trivial concerns.