Did not ask for criticism

Options

Replies

• jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    No, people shouldn't mistreat you for how YOU choose to live.
    HOWEVER:

MFP is for HEALTHY weight loss.

Eating 600-800 calories does not qualify as HEALTHY weight loss, regardless of WHO you ask.

Yes you WILL lose weight, and no starvation mode isn't as common as it is touted here by fear mongers. HOWEVER, it is EXTREMELY difficult to get enough nutrients for your body to run properly with that little intake. Protein, calcium, iron, fats, etc. Your body NEEDS this stuff to run right. Not eating enough of these things is like not putting oil in your car and expecting it to be ok with just gas. It's not going to end well dear.

If you don't expect to be criticised, perhaps you shouldn't be on a website that encourages people to lose weight the right way.:frown: :flowerforyou:
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Okay! :drinker:
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Why don't you write a post about it?

That should fix the problem of getting too much attention.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    willy-wonka-meme-you-must-be-new-here-i13.gif
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Welcome to a world of FREE SPEECH.

Learn to ignore what others say and you will better off in general. The only person that matters about how you view the world is yourself.
  • curvykatie
    curvykatie Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Well said!!
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options

Thank you, but the article you referenced neither defines an acceptable calorie range nor does it establish how long is "too long." It just makes broad, generalized statements without providing any sources.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    600 to 800 calories a day and being satisfied with that IS an eating disorder. You SHOULD feel hungry eating so little.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Sigh...

This makes me sad.

I think I will go eat a 700 calorie lunch... in addition to my 600 calorie breakfast, and my planned 500 calorie dinner, and my 300 calories worth of snacks, and the budgeted 400 calories worth of Friday night beverages.
    And continue to be fit and healthy and strong with properly functioning organs.
  • opus649
    Options
    Sorry but yes it is a known fact that eating such a small amount over extended periods of time will cause your organs to stop functioning properly. Not criticising just stating a fact, but be my guest to continue as you please

<citation needed>

If I had time I'd find more but here is a website that talks about how a VLCD may affect the gallbladder....http://www.webmd.com/diet/guide/low-calorie-diets

Thank you, but this article specifically states, "But, it is unclear whether VLCDs directly cause gallstones or whether the amount of weight loss is responsible for the formation of gallstones." It also makes the positive statement, "Very low-calorie diets are generally safe when used under proper medical supervision in people with a body mass index (BMI) greater than 30."
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    OP, do what you want... but please dont encourage others to do the same as you, some people on here are severly misguided as to what is good for them, and alot of us make mistakes in taking our questions to the forums.

I won't judge you for how you lose your weight, that's your perogative, but to encourage others to develop this form and preach eating less is the way is very much in opposition to what this website is for in the first place.

Oh and please do not knock people with Eating Disorders, you clearly have no idea how sensitve of a subject it is and shouldn't be taken lightly, because then, you are just not taking your own advice.
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I personally would be starving if I only ate that much. Sometimes on a day when I do two classes, I burn a lot and have a low net, but no way could I do it every day. I think my lunch yesterday was 800 calories. To each their own I guess.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Sigh...

This makes me sad.

I think I will go eat a 700 calorie lunch... in addition to my 600 calorie breakfast, and my planned 500 calorie dinner, and my 300 calories worth of snacks, and the budgeted 400 calories worth of Friday night beverages.
    I like you.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I know it's not what you want to hear...

I do agree with most people here. You are eating too little. I agree with you that it's your body and your life so do what you want to do.

People here aren't so much here to crisitise you (keep in mind you can't tell someone's tone based on text)... they are people who know about this whole weight loss deal and are trying to inform people that certain things are not healthy.

Your body WILL burn fat AND MUSCLE when you don't provide it with enough food. When you aren't providing your body with enough food it will go and burn whatever will give it the most which is muscle.

If you constantly provide your body with little amounts of food it will get used to that amount and when you start to increase your calories you will gain weight back. Your metabolism will slow. VLCD like the one you are doing should only be done for short periods of time under the supervision of a dietitican, nutrionist or doctor (even though most doctors know nothing about nutriontion). There's no way one can get all the nutrients in a day that the body needs on such little calories consumed.

This... is very true and well said. I can attest to the last part. When I was eating 1200, if I ate anything over that, my body would hold on to it like no tomorrow. Now that I'm eating at 1700, and I have adjusted to it, my body knows it's going to get adequate fuel, so it's not as hugely impacted if I have a "maintenance" day where I eat 2200-ish calories.

I'm just saying.... you can and will lose weight with a VLCD, but you are actually getting your body used to eating really low calories, and it needs more than that. It knows it does. So when it gets extra, it's going to store it like crazy. Don't train your body to do that. The ultimate goal is to be healthy, not have to stress about what you eat so much. The only way to do that is to lose weight gradually through diet and exercise, and strengthen your body and speed your metabolism because of the muscles you've built. That's healthy, balanced, and sustainable.

Unfortunately it's not a "quick fix" and requires a lot more dedication, which is why a lot of people "crash diet", eating under 1000 calories. Guess how many of those people regain the weight right back after they stop?

Best of luck to you.
  • opus649
    Options
    Eating 600-800 calories does not qualify as HEALTHY weight loss, regardless of WHO you ask.

Unless the person you are asking is a Doctor... in which case, yes, it can be a healthy way to lose weight. I will simply repost an earlier reference:

http://www.webmd.com/diet/guide/low-calorie-diets

From the article: "Very low-calorie diets are generally safe when used under proper medical supervision in people with a body mass index (BMI) greater than 30."
  • mtaylor33557
    mtaylor33557 Posts: 542 Member
    Options

Pretty much.
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Sigh...

This makes me sad.

Stop starving yourself Cory, my mid day steak was almost 1000 cals alone =P
  • callmeBAM
    callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
    Options

You are working your way into my top 5 hottest women list. :wink:
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Have fun with that OP. The rest of us will be here enjoying real food, eating 2-3x as much as you are and still losing weight.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    Sorry but yes it is a known fact that eating such a small amount over extended periods of time will cause your organs to stop functioning properly. Not criticising just stating a fact, but be my guest to continue as you please

Gastric bypass patients eat that much for the REST OF THEIR LIVES and are fine. Not everybody's bodies are the same.

No we don't....only the first couple of years. I had Roux en Y and I am now up to 2000 a day and still losing. That being said, 600 calories per day unless UNDER A DOCTOR'S SUPERVISION is reckless.

OP...if it works for you, fine, but I do recommend you visit a doctor and a dietician. Without PROPER supplementation (as we gastric bypass patients HAVE to do), you will damage your body.
This discussion has been closed.