Did not ask for criticism

Options

Replies

• islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    It's sunny outside, let's walk away from this topic.
  • Nikki_42
    Nikki_42 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Blunt truth-- Your post(s) make no sense. Honestly it's not even worth breaking down because if you are really eating the amount of calories you're stating, and you're a full grown adult with normal bodily functions, then there is about a 99% chance you have an eating disorder. If you do any research at all, talk to your doc, etc. you'd have to be a special kind of clueless not to know that, and not to know that people are going to react to that,

Bottomline- it's your life and when you possibly Darwinze yourself it's your choice and doesn't really affect us much overall. Your best bet is to stop posting if you don't want to hear it.

Not trying to be mean, but it's kinda ridiculous.
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    VLCD (Very Low Calorie Diets) are only recommended for morbidly obese individuals, under the supervision of a doctor. Even then, they "may be no more effective than less severe dietary restrictions in the long run."

Can you please provide the reference that states a BMI of 30 is considered "morbidly obese?" Thank you. (keep in mind that a 5'9" man who weighs 203 lbs has a BMI of 30).

No one said a BMI of 30 = morbidly obese

Maybe you didn't read the whole post. First he wrote this:
    "VLCD (Very Low Calorie Diets) are only recommended for morbidly obese individuals, under the supervision of a doctor."

Then he referenced this:
    "VLCDs are designed to produce rapid weight loss at the start of a weight-loss program in patients with a body mass index (BMI) greater than 30 and significant comorbidities."

And again, this:
    "Very low-calorie diets are generally safe when used under proper medical supervision in people with a body mass index (BMI) greater than 30. Use of VLCDs in people with a BMI of 27 to 30 should be reserved for those who have medical complications resulting from their obesity."

I guess maybe I should have gone with 30.1 instead of 30...
  • bp716
    bp716 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Sorry but yes it is a known fact that eating such a small amount over extended periods of time will cause your organs to stop functioning properly. Not criticising just stating a fact, but be my guest to continue as you please

Gastric bypass patients eat that much for the REST OF THEIR LIVES and are fine. Not everybody's bodies are the same.
    Not all gastric bypass patients are fine.....I take care of them
  • dancingdolly1975
    dancingdolly1975 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    well said
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    Sorry but yes it is a known fact that eating such a small amount over extended periods of time will cause your organs to stop functioning properly. Not criticising just stating a fact, but be my guest to continue as you please

Gastric bypass patients eat that much for the REST OF THEIR LIVES and are fine. Not everybody's bodies are the same.

A morbidly obese man consumed zero calories for over a year in the 1970s to get down to a normal weight that he maintained. It was under medical supervision.

That is impossible. Are you telling me he was on a saline drip for over a year and did not eat anything but water?
  • DeanneLea
    DeanneLea Posts: 261
    Options
    Sigh...

This makes me sad.

I think I will go eat a 700 calorie lunch... in addition to my 600 calorie breakfast, and my planned 500 calorie dinner, and my 300 calories worth of snacks, and the budgeted 400 calories worth of Friday night beverages.
    And continue to be fit and healthy and strong with properly functioning organs.

THIS!!! :drinker:

WORD!
  • opus649
    Options

A morbidly obese man consumed zero calories for over a year in the 1970s to get down to a normal weight that he maintained. It was under medical supervision.

Yeah, they also used to dump oil in the ground in the 70's. Not a lot of knowledge back then.

LOL, yeah, we barely had electricity back then... :laugh:
  • becoming_a_new_me
    Options

Not all gastric bypass patients are fine.....I take care of them

Exactly. It requires extreme supplementation and doctor supervision. The low calorie diet is temporary too...eventually you go back to a normal BMR calorie intake
  • DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    Plain and simple if you dont want critisizm then dont be on here...

Dont post in the forums.

Dont go around making a point to point out what you are doing and WHY it is right.

Everybody is entitled to thier own opinion and OMG GUESS WHAT... you are ALWAYS going to get it.

Why get on here and CRY about it??

Move on if you dont like it.

End of story.
  • opus649
    Options
    Perhaps you could read the articles, Champ.

Champ? I guess "please" and "thank you" weren't sufficient enough to try and maintain a civil tone...
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options

That is impossible. Are you telling me he was on a saline drip for over a year and did not eat anything but water?

I am trying to find info on this and am having a hard time coming up with anything
  • Melindabj
    Melindabj Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Please settle down, arm yourself with accurate information, and don't get upset when others question your methods. We have a free exchange of ideas here, and we are all trying to reach the comon goal of better health. I wish you luck on your journey.
  • NBabi91
    NBabi91 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I think we all just need to sit down and watch a good ol' episode of Supersize v. Superskinny.
  • Shannonlastname
    Shannonlastname Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I've lived off of 1100-1200/cals a day for years and I always thought that because of my small stature My body just needed less calories. I was dancing 30 hours a week, going to school full time, and working full time. It wasn't until last week that I finally started eating back the majority of my excerise calories. I thought I felt good and satisfied before but now I know that ill never go back to that way of life. My body was just holding on to those 1200 calories for dear life. Since upping my cals my muscles are already starting to tone up and those few extra pounds I was carrying have starting to go away. I don't want to sat that I was living in "starvation mode" because I don't think those words accurately describe the state I was in (starvation is a very strong word, one that i don't thnk applies to many Americans) but I do believe that my metabolism was burning slow and steady, now it is raging like furnace. I went from feeling good to feeling amazing and energized.

I would urge you to give eating more a try. You may think that eating too many calories is what got you to this point and that the only solution is to drastically cut your intake. Upping your intake to healthy calories that will fuel your body for exercise might surprise you.

Please, just see your doctor and see what they say (if you haven't already). 600-800 calories might work in the short term but it isn't sustainable in the long run. Mfp is more of a tool to change lifestyles, not just drop the lbs asap.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    Options

I am trying to find info on this and am having a hard time coming up with anything

I've been searching too...nada. You'd think that would have journals written about it, and no medical journal sites have anything on this. I call BS
  • msshiraz
    msshiraz Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I haven't read your previous posts, nor am I here to criticize or judge anyone. Anytime you go onto a public forum or blog, you expose your comments to reaction. Some of it is good, some of it is great, some of it is not. What is unreasonable to is to post on a forum/blog and get upset if you don't like what you hear. Take it all, good or bad, or possibly avoid this resource for venting your opinions.

There is a wealth of knowledge on fitness and nutrition on this site, and they should be respected for that extensive knowledge, as long as it is shared in a respectful way. I thank everyone on here who has given me feedback on my ideas- knowledge is power, and you have to consider, you may be wrong here.
    Out of concern, professionals in the health field have posted too- 600-800 calories is your magic #, what works for you, but do you have any idea what it could be doing to your body? Is weight loss your only goal? I am asking because I did not read your previous topics/posts. Have you talked to your primary care physician and has he/she signed off on this?
    Wish you the best and hope we all can continue to learn and share :)
  • Leslie85
    Leslie85 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's criticism, it's concern... A lot of folks here are about being healthy, not just losing weight and they're concerned that your extremely low calorie diet is going to eventually be a health problem for you. I'll agree with you somewhat that starvation mode is an over used bro-science term but there is something behind not eating enough to fuel your body and provide it with enough nutrients and possibly messing up your metabolism. A friend of mine underate for many years but was still obese and is now working on eating right in order to try to reset her metabolism.

Do what works for you but remember that when you post things on a public forum, you're likely to get all kinds of feed back, good and bad. Ignore the bad if you don't want to have to explain yourself all the time. Responding just fuels the fire... Starting threads like this doesn't help much either... You're going to get some "aw, poor baby" response like you have but there will always be people like me and the one with the pug avatar (sorry, can't remember username) who will respond otherwise.

^^This.

Sure, you can lose weight on 600-800 calories a day, but watch out when you start going past that! I could about bet you'll start gaining like crazy.
  • opus649
    Options

Perhaps you could read the articles, Champ.

Here is your first link: http://rfoweightloss.med.ucla.edu/body.cfm?id=32

When I try to go to that URL, I get the following error: Bad Request (Invalid Hostname)

It's pretty moot - as another poster has already pointed out, 30 is not the cutoff for "morbidly obese." Here is a link that should work: http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Morbid+Obesity

It defines morbid obesity as:

"the condition of weighing two or more times the ideal weight; so called because it is associated with many serious and life-threatening disorders."
  • ssen2547
    ssen2547 Posts: 8
    Options
    I am not a believer of the "starvation mode" either. Do what you want, it's your body.
This discussion has been closed.