Did not ask for criticism

Options

Replies

• SuperSneaky
    SuperSneaky Posts: 43
    Options
    If you're into a 600-800 calorie restriction to promote weight loss, you might not want to participate in a community that encourages healthy weight loss. No matter how you spin it, that isn't considered healthy at all.

You might want to check out Tumblr, you can find plenty of blogs that fit with your ideology and methods. I don't think you're
    actually going to find any one who condones that here.
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    600 to 800 calories a day and being satisfied with that IS an eating disorder.

Can you please provide a scientific or medical reference that defines VLCD as an eating disorder?
    http://www.anorexia.com/

Perhaps I was unclear about the scientific and/or medical part...
  • Reesecup312
    Reesecup312 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I am not so sure I believe in starvation mode either. I don't eat my exercise calories either. I do however stay at or above 1200 calories a day. Although I don't believe in starvation mode, I do believe in malnutrition. I wouldn't tr to sustain that calorie intake too long for the sake of your health. Good luck to you and finding your long term solution for a healthier you. Peace! :flowerforyou:
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry.. not trying to mean but a question...

In another thread when you mentioned how little food you eat you said you were eating 1000 calories a day and stalled so you cut that in half and added a bit for the exercise you do. What do you plan on doing when you stall again? You can't very well cut your calories down even more.

She could cut down to just water. THAT seems like a great plan
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    600 to 800 calories a day and being satisfied with that IS an eating disorder.

Can you please provide a scientific or medical reference that defines VLCD as an eating disorder?
    http://www.anorexia.com/

Perhaps I was unclear about the scientific and/or medical part...
    Perhaps I assumed as you were such an expert on VLCDs you would be familiar with the cycles and processes that lead into anorexia.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    In some of my recent comments on other posts I find I'm being criticised for how I choose to lose my weight. First and foremost I would never ever recommend someone else lose weight the way I am losing it. My diet is strickly my diet. What works for me may not work for you, what I believe to be true you may believe in something different. That's what makes us human. If we all believed the same thing this would be a boring place. All I ask is for people to stop and remember that just because you believe something does NOT make it a fact, it's only your belief. Even if you think it's a fact I'm sure there are sites that will say differently. Each of us believe the way we believe and do not need to be put down for that. Just because you did something and it impacted you negatively does not mean that it will do the same for me. Just because you may have an ED because of the way you ate does not mean that it happens to everyone. I joined this group to be supported not criticised. I don't believe in starvation mode...it's a made up word for stalling out and used to scare you into doing things the way someone else's wants you to do them,, but if you believe in it then okay, but don't push it on me. I don't believe eating 600 to 800 calories a day will cause me to have an eating disorder. I don't believe that eating 600 to 800 calories will cause me to gain weight because my body is eating away at my muscles instead of the fat. If I'm comfortable eating this way then it's non of your concern. I'll ask you when for help when I need it. I don't like being criticised and I'm sure you don't either. All I'm aksing is a little respect for who believe differently than you do.

It's the internet, if you don't want opinions, don't post it. Sorry you're upset.
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Why don't you write a post about it?

That should fix the problem of getting too much attention.

IKR... because EVERYONE on MFP will see this post and know to never criticize her eating methods ever again!!

Right. I didn't see the original post, only this one.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    VLCD (Very Low Calorie Diets) are only recommended for morbidly obese individuals, under the supervision of a doctor. Even then, they "may be no more effective than less severe dietary restrictions in the long run."

Can you please provide the reference that states a BMI of 30 is considered "morbidly obese?" Thank you. (keep in mind that a 5'9" man who weighs 203 lbs has a BMI of 30).

No one said a BMI of 30 = morbidly obese
  • SuperSneaky
    SuperSneaky Posts: 43
    Options
    Also, there's such thing as "disordered eating," not necessarily an eating disorder.
  • lickmybaconcakes
    lickmybaconcakes Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    If you want the increased chances for,

cardiovascular disease , cancer, about 20 other skin structure diseases then you can do it.
  • boggsmeister
    boggsmeister Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Eating 600-800 calories a day won't cause you to get an eating disorder, it's a symptom of one.

Seek help.

Now.

I'm not kidding or being sarcastic. You are going to seek help one way or the other. A psychologist is preferable to the doctor for when you permanently screw up your organs.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    BTW OP...this term:

b) Profiles, groups, messages, posts, or wall comments that encourage anorexia, bulimia, or very low calorie diets of any kind will be removed, and may be grounds for account deletion. This includes positive references to ana/mia, purging, or self-starving. Our goal is to provide users with the tools to achieve their weight management goals at a steady, sustainable rate. Use of the site to promote or glamorize dangerously low levels of eating is not permitted.

Clearly outlines WHY people are critical of your choice.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    VLCD (Very Low Calorie Diets) are only recommended for morbidly obese individuals, under the supervision of a doctor. Even then, they "may be no more effective than less severe dietary restrictions in the long run."

Can you please provide the reference that states a BMI of 30 is considered "morbidly obese?" Thank you. (keep in mind that a 5'9" man who weighs 203 lbs has a BMI of 30).

No one said a BMI of 30 = morbidly obese

Body Mass Index (BMI) is a number calculated from a person's weight and height
    A BMI of below 18.5 is considered Underweight
    A BMI of 18.5-25 is Normal
    A BMI of 25.1-30 is Overweight
    A BMI of 30.1 – 40 is Obese
    A BMI of 40.1- 45 is Severely Obese
    A BMI of 45.1 – 50 is Morbidly Obese
    A BMI of 50.1 – 59.9 is Super Morbidly Obese
    A BMI over 60 is Super Super Morbidly Obese
  • territhefrog
    territhefrog Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    I won't criticize. I will support....with concern. I have been in the same situation where I tried very low calorie diets and ended up stalling out. But that was just me. Please be careful.
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    :huh: Well then! I wasn't aware you were a doctor! I mean, clearly you have all the healthy answers!!

So, does this 600-800 calorie diet come with bumps of coke too?
  • Way_2_a_Healthy_Mel
    Way_2_a_Healthy_Mel Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    It's simple. Keep your diary private from the people who have become your "friends" on here, and you will no longer be criticized. This is a public site, that promotes healthy weight loss, and I am sure this post will soon be deleted, because it is completely against all of MFP guidelines. If you are extremely obese, and you are under a doctor's care, then you do whatever you feel is neccesary to lose weight. This site is about getting healthy, and unless you have some amazing supplements, along with your current meal plan, you will most likely not become healthy. VLCD burn muscle, and fat, and can damage your metabolism if not done correctly.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Sorry but yes it is a known fact that eating such a small amount over extended periods of time will cause your organs to stop functioning properly. Not criticising just stating a fact, but be my guest to continue as you please

Gastric bypass patients eat that much for the REST OF THEIR LIVES and are fine. Not everybody's bodies are the same.

A morbidly obese man consumed zero calories for over a year in the 1970s to get down to a normal weight that he maintained. It was under medical supervision.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Sorry but yes it is a known fact that eating such a small amount over extended periods of time will cause your organs to stop functioning properly. Not criticising just stating a fact, but be my guest to continue as you please

Gastric bypass patients eat that much for the REST OF THEIR LIVES and are fine. Not everybody's bodies are the same.

A morbidly obese man consumed zero calories for over a year in the 1970s to get down to a normal weight that he maintained. It was under medical supervision.

Yeah, they also used to dump oil in the ground in the 70's. Not a lot of knowledge back then.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options

How is that possible?
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you could read the articles, Champ.

Morbidly obese reference

"A VLCD is primarily for severely or morbidly obese individuals who must lose or wish to lose large amounts of weight as rapidly as possible in a safe manner. " - UCLA (http://rfoweightloss.med.ucla.edu/body.cfm?id=32)

BMI references

"VLCDs are designed to produce rapid weight loss at the start of a weight-loss program in patients with a body mass index (BMI) greater than 30 and significant comorbidities."

"Use of VLCDs in patients with a BMI of 27 to 30 should be reserved for those who have medical conditions due to overweight, such as high blood pressure." - National Institutes of Health (http://win.niddk.nih.gov/publications/low_calorie.htm)
This discussion has been closed.