Did not ask for criticism

Options

Replies

• now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry.. not trying to mean but a question...

In another thread when you mentioned how little food you eat you said you were eating 1000 calories a day and stalled so you cut that in half and added a bit for the exercise you do. What do you plan on doing when you stall again? You can't very well cut your calories down even more.
  • cjbennett2012
    cjbennett2012 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Easy solution, delete the negative comments and block the person that made them, that's what i do. Forget it and do what works for you :smile:
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    VLCD (Very Low Calorie Diets) are only recommended for morbidly obese individuals, under the supervision of a doctor. Even then, they "may be no more effective than less severe dietary restrictions in the long run."

Yes, I have reputable sources. :flowerforyou:

UCLA (http://rfoweightloss.med.ucla.edu/body.cfm?id=32)

"A VLCD is primarily for severely or morbidly obese individuals who must lose or wish to lose large amounts of weight as rapidly as possible in a safe manner. "

National Institutes of Health (http://win.niddk.nih.gov/publications/low_calorie.htm)

"VLCDs are designed to produce rapid weight loss at the start of a weight-loss program in patients with a body mass index (BMI) greater than 30 and significant comorbidities."

"Use of VLCDs in patients with a BMI of 27 to 30 should be reserved for those who have medical conditions due to overweight, such as high blood pressure."

"Many patients on a VLCD for 4 to 16 weeks report minor side effects such as fatigue, constipation, nausea, or diarrhea. These conditions usually improve within a few weeks and rarely prevent patients from completing the program. The most common serious side effect is gallstone formation. Gallstones, which often develop in people who are obese, especially women, are even more common during rapid weight loss. Research indicates that rapid weight loss may increase cholesterol levels in the gallbladder and decrease its ability to contract and expel bile. Some medicines can prevent gallstone formation during rapid weight loss. Your health care provider can determine if these medicines are appropriate for you"

"Studies show that the long-term results of VLCDs vary widely, but weight regain is common."

"In addition, VLCDs may be no more effective than less severe dietary restrictions in the long run. Studies have shown that following a diet of approximately 800 to 1,000 calories produces weight loss similar to that seen with VLCDs."

"For most people who are obese, their condition is long-term and requires a lifetime of attention even after formal weight-loss treatment ends. Therefore, health care providers should encourage patients who are obese to commit to permanent changes of healthier eating, regular physical activity, and an improved outlook about food"

WebMD (http://www.webmd.com/diet/guide/low-calorie-diets)

"Very low-calorie diets are generally safe when used under proper medical supervision in people with a body mass index (BMI) greater than 30. Use of VLCDs in people with a BMI of 27 to 30 should be reserved for those who have medical complications resulting from their obesity."

"To be healthy, we need a balance of foods from different food groups. It's quite difficult to get good nutrition in as few as 800 calories (even a dietitian would have trouble doing this), especially if one eats the same foods day after day."

"Also, once you go off the diet, you will likely regain your weight unless you change your lifestyle and commit to healthy eating, regular physical activity, and an improved outlook about food. By sticking to a long-term commitment, you can prevent your weight from drifting back up the scale."
  • frostymelissa
    Options
    I had the gastric sleeve and have spoken with the dietician numerous times. I eat between 600-800 calories a day myself. I was told as long as I'm still losing 1-2 lbs per week and getting in all required nutrients then I'm good. Don't listen to the people that criticize you. Just remember as long as you feel that you ate enough (not full but satisfied) then you're good.
  • sleepyval
    sleepyval Posts: 2
    Options
    Eating disorders are not caused by low-calorie diets. They're complex psychological conditions and are generally caused by outside influences on body image. It's not uncommon for survivors of abuse to develop eating disorders out of a need to feel in control of something—I saw this all the time when working with women in an in-patient setting when I was an undergrad.

http://www.umm.edu/patiented/articles/what_causes_eating_disorders_000049_3.htm
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    600 to 800 calories a day and being satisfied with that IS an eating disorder.

Can you please provide a scientific or medical reference that defines VLCD as an eating disorder?
  • barleespringers
    Options
    I'm only allowed to eat 1,100 to 1,000 calories a day, because of my health condition. The Doctors thought that would save me from another heart attack while I try my best to lose weight.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Have fun with that OP. The rest of us will be here enjoying real food, eating 2-3x as much as you are and still to lose weight.
    The OP is impatient and while this might work for a short while eventually they'll have to make a transition to eating more in a healthy manner or just eating more in an unhealthy manner. Might be okay for a short time with a doctor's supervision but it's not a lifestyle change for sure.
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Edited.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    This method might make you lose weight sure. But is it sustainable? Is it healthy in the long run? Time will tell.

There are many healthy and not so healty ways to lose weight. Just because you do XXX and it acheives YYY, doesn't mean it was the right way to do it.
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    VLCD (Very Low Calorie Diets) are only recommended for morbidly obese individuals, under the supervision of a doctor. Even then, they "may be no more effective than less severe dietary restrictions in the long run."

Can you please provide the reference that states a BMI of 30 is considered "morbidly obese?" Thank you. (keep in mind that a 5'9" man who weighs 203 lbs has a BMI of 30).
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    It is not criticism, it is the truth -- and MyFitnessPal rules do not condone the use of unhealthy weight loss methods, including VLCD and/or diet pills.

Im gonna second this.

If you are being criticized its because of a long list of reasons all of which, are extremely valid. Unless you are under the advice of a Bariatric Provider, Registered Dietician, Surgeon due to post-op procedures, Oral Surgeon, or any other valid medical circumstance, what you are doing to yourself is not healthy. It is not a method accepted by MFP at all as it is considered an unhealthy manner for weight loss. In fact, it is justified as something to be very concerned about.

Yes, you will run into some very nasty people.... but you will also run into people are are genuinely concerned like we are here in this thread.

The bottom line though is that you are not going to find it so easy to be on MFP if you continue to openly follow a willingful choice to do 500-600 caloric intake daily. In fact, speaking as a healthcare worker myself, you would be considered a 'patient of great concern'....

Please consider reviewing your current situation with your primary care provider or team of medical professionals that can better assist you with this less-than-favorable choice that you are making. You are sadly making very poor decisions for yourself without the proper guidance of healthcare professionals who really should be working with you on this if you feel 500-600 is justified... unfortunately its not...
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    here we go.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    600 to 800 calories a day and being satisfied with that IS an eating disorder.

Can you please provide a scientific or medical reference that defines VLCD as an eating disorder?
    http://www.anorexia.com/
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    My dietitian told my to not eat exercise calories back as I'm still very over weight, but I must eat 1500 calories a day, more if I'm huungry. I just couldn't function with my exercise with less. You must feel like a living zombie, even if you've got used to the feeling and don't realise it anymore. It isn't a healthy weight loss approach no matter how much you try to tell everyone it is, and its irresponsible to be putting it on a public forum where impressionable people are! I've got no time for people like you. I very rarely get angry about posts, but this riled me as it could influence others and its wrong!
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    I agree with you, I say let people do what they want, stupid or not. If it doesn't affect you or anyone else and they are only hurting themselves then I say go for it. Darwinism at it's best.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    signing up for a website, choosing a username and interacting with the other humans on a website is signing up for possible criticism.
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Amen and Amen! :happy:

I see this all the time...at work and with family! :sad:

Each person is different. At my job, we have 2 that have gastric bypass, 1 that is going to Medi Weightloss, 2 that are going to Weight Watchers, several that are drinking Plexislim, and 1 taking diet pills. Me, I am counting calories. :happy:

And let me just tell you, it is a struggle for all of us. We all have found success, but we all have to watch everything we eat.
    Yep, all of us! :ohwell:

So you do what is working for you! :flowerforyou:

Good luck in your journey to a healthier YOU! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Sigh...

This makes me sad.

I think I will go eat a 700 calorie lunch... in addition to my 600 calorie breakfast, and my planned 500 calorie dinner, and my 300 calories worth of snacks, and the budgeted 400 calories worth of Friday night beverages.
    And continue to be fit and healthy and strong with properly functioning organs.

THIS!!! :drinker:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Why don't you write a post about it?

That should fix the problem of getting too much attention.

IKR... because EVERYONE on MFP will see this post and know to never criticize her eating methods ever again!!
This discussion has been closed.