Can I have a male friend even if I have a boyfriend?

Options

Replies

• Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    Dump your current bf. This other guy seems way cooler! Maybe he'll let you date him for awhile:-)
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I'd say it should be okay as long as you are okay if he hangs with chicks.
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend doesn't mind me having guy friends, but if he did I would definitely understand and respect that. Like said before, it's really something you should discuss with your boyfriend.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    If your boyfriend can have female friends...and you aren't jealous..sure why not. Make sure you know those females though! Some of them don't care if they are single or not...If you trust your boyfriend, it's all good then.
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure that any guy chatting up a gal he just met is not thinking "gee, she's so funny, I hope she'll be my friend."
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I'd say it should be okay as long as you are okay if he hangs with chicks.

^

Yeah that too.
  • BetterThanExpected
    BetterThanExpected Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Umm, what do you mean "if I ask him"? You have to get your friends cleared by your boyfriend? WTF?

My previous girlfriend had it straight. One night we were out at a club and a female friend of mine asked me to dance with her. I looked at my GF to see how she would react. She looked at me and said "As long as you aren't ****ing her it's ok with me".

That's the way it is supposed to be.

^I agree with what this guy said
  • BriskisGrl
    BriskisGrl Posts: 461
    Options
    If you haven't already stated any of this to the boyfriend and exchange info again not informing him out of courtesy not permission than I wouldn't.. I'm a very open book, and feel that if you couldn't bring it up right away there is a reason you haven't.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure that any guy chatting up a gal he just met is not thinking "gee, she's so funny, I hope she'll be my friend."
    yup
  • shady1987dre
    shady1987dre Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    All he is doing is waiting to get you. If something goes wrong with your current BF "he'll be there for you".
  • WifeNMama
    Options
    yup

Except you, right? :tongue:
  • SpydrMnky27
    SpydrMnky27 Posts: 381 Member
    Options

Exactly
  • seventwenty
    seventwenty Posts: 565 Member
    Options

Stereotyping's fun!
  • WifeNMama
    Options

Stereotyping's fun!
    :flowerforyou:
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I read something in a magazine the other day that made a lot of sense. The gist of it was that if you expect to be the ONLY companion of the opposite sex that your partner is going to have for the REST OF THEIR LIFE that you are setting your relationship up for failure. You simply can't provide all of the attention that they will ever need. It even hinted that a bit of harmless flirting outside of the relationship is good for the relationship.

It hit home with me and I completely agree.

I wish I could have thought this way in some of my past relationships. I used to be completely over jealous.

Growing up, lesson learned. I've changed a lot since them and my next serious relationship will be much better because of it.
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    yup

Really? So guys don't just talk to chicks out of friendliness?
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Lol, my ex would have gone nuts if I was like "Hey, I met a guy on the bus today, he's really cool & funny & wants to hang out with me."
    He would have gone off thinking I was gonna cheat on him or something & not even tried to hear what I have to say.
    Having male friends & a boyfriend is complicated unless you already had that friend before you got with your boyfriend. But I dunno, it depends what sort of person your boyfriend is :]
  • solarpower4
    solarpower4 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    If your BF has a problem with you having male friends, he is not allowed to have ANY friends, as he is too immature and controlling.

^^^^ This! If your significant other has a problem with you having other friends (including guy friends) -- beware! It NEVER gets better.

Also, your boyfriend is not your spouse. (Even a spouse should not be controlling like that.)
  • mrsnathanandrew
    mrsnathanandrew Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing happen recently. I got a new job at a hospital, and the person training me this past week was a guy, and he is awesome and funny, and we have a lot in common just as friends. We hung out the other day, and my fiance is fine with it. He has female friends, and I never used to be comfortable being around any guy that wasn't my fiance, but now it's fine. You seriously need to talk to your boyfriend about it. If he isn't ok with it, then he has some serious trust issues/insecurities
  • shaelataylor
    shaelataylor Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    i say dont hide it, make sure things stay just friendly, maybe ask your boyfriend to come too sometimes, and then all is well