Can I have a male friend even if I have a boyfriend?

Options

Replies

• SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    If you have to ask, no. You're too immature.

Other ladies, yes. Yes you may.

EDIT: Forgot to add, if your BF has a problem with you having male friends, he is not allowed to have ANY friends, as he is too immature and controlling.

I agree. I thought this site was 18 + anyways :huh:
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    The more posts I read on this from the women that think it's no big deal, how would you feel if your BF or hubby came home and said, hey Hon, I met this really cool girl today, gave her my e-mail address and I'm going to be hanging out with her? My guess is it wouldn't go over too good with most of you.

I guess it depends upon how insecure you are.
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    My vocalist is a broad.

Just an FYI - women do not like to be called "broads".
  • lickmybaconcakes
    lickmybaconcakes Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Nope he obviously wants you and will jump at any chance he can get...
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options

Now I know why I can't get a date!
  • iwantahealthierme13
    iwantahealthierme13 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    The more posts I read on this from the women that think it's no big deal, how would you feel if your BF or hubby came home and said, hey Hon, I met this really cool girl today, gave her my e-mail address and I'm going to be hanging out with her? My guess is it wouldn't go over too good with most of you.

Fine with me, he needs more friends anyway.

This ^... and *I* need more friends as well but would be okay with them hanging out without me... TRUST.
  • NU2U
    NU2U Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    If you already know he'd be furious...why bother!?

If you even have to wonder if it's ok...perhaps you like this guy...and you're trying to justify keeping him as a friend..because you're so lonely.

Are there no women in that city?

Guy friends are ok...if there's no sexual attraction. If there is...even a bit of it...it could cause problems.

Do you want drama in your relationship?
  • seventwenty
    seventwenty Posts: 565 Member
    Options

Now I know why I can't get a date!

That awesome mustache ought to make up for any of your shortcomings. Hell, I'm in love with your 'stache!
  • heyghoge
    heyghoge Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    If you can't be everything your partner needs, you're doing it wrong and shouldn't be with them.

sarcasm, right? right????????????

hannibal?
  • Music_is_my_soul
    Music_is_my_soul Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    My best friend is a guy!!!
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    So today I met a really cool and funny guy on the bus who I would love to be friends with, the problem is I think my boyfriend would go crazy if I asked him about it.
    I'm recently new to this city and I don't know anyone besides me boyfriend, it can get quite lonely sometimes. I don't want to cause arguments in our relationship so would it be best for me to ignore the funny cool guy on the bus and not respond to his email to hang out?

Most of my friends are guys, I just seem to get along better with them. I wouldn't let my boyfriend tell me who I can be friends with, but at the same time he really doesn't mind. That being said, you have to be wary with guy friends as some guys will be your "friend" but secretly be hoping for more. You need to be clear about boundaries.
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    No, you may not. :angry:

lol I like this...but honestly I would think you should be asking yourself that and then if need be, discuss with your boyfriend if you think he might not be entirely comfortable with your decision.
  • HonkyTonks
    Options

I guess it depends upon how insecure you are.

Pretty much. I am very secure in my relationship with my partner, we know each other intimately so jealousy is not an issue.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    Honestly, the guy probably wants to date you.
  • HonkyTonks
    Options
    I read something in a magazine the other day that made a lot of sense. The gist of it was that if you expect to be the ONLY companion of the opposite sex that your partner is going to have for the REST OF THEIR LIFE that you are setting your relationship up for failure. You simply can't provide all of the attention that they will ever need. It even hinted that a bit of harmless flirting outside of the relationship is good for the relationship.

It hit home with me and I completely agree.

I wish I could have thought this way in some of my past relationships. I used to be completely over jealous.

Growing up, lesson learned. I've changed a lot since them and my next serious relationship will be much better because of it.

If you can't be everything your partner needs, you're doing it wrong and shouldn't be with them.

Sorry - I disagree. If you are trying to be EVERYTHING your partner needs, then your relationship is highly disfunctional and far too dependent. People need friendships and a life outside their relationships.
  • seventwenty
    seventwenty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I read something in a magazine the other day that made a lot of sense. The gist of it was that if you expect to be the ONLY companion of the opposite sex that your partner is going to have for the REST OF THEIR LIFE that you are setting your relationship up for failure. You simply can't provide all of the attention that they will ever need. It even hinted that a bit of harmless flirting outside of the relationship is good for the relationship.

It hit home with me and I completely agree.

I wish I could have thought this way in some of my past relationships. I used to be completely over jealous.

Growing up, lesson learned. I've changed a lot since them and my next serious relationship will be much better because of it.

Sorry - I disagree. If you are trying to be EVERYTHING your partner needs, then your relationship is highly disfunctional and far too dependent. People need friendships and a life outside their relationships.

Dis.

Also, where'd OP go? We scare her off?
  • hallie_b
    hallie_b Posts: 181
    Options
    I would NEVER tell my husband who he could and could not be friends with. He has female friends, I have male friends,we don't really think about it much I guess.
    Oh and I have NEVER had to ask my husband's permission to be friends with anyone. I would probably not have married him if he were that controlling and insecure.
  • future_runner
    future_runner Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    You're the only person that can answer that question. Can you be friends with cool guy and nothing more? If you can honestly answer yes, that is the only permission you need. Just be sure to inform your boyfriend that you have you new friend.
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options

Also, where'd OP go? We scare her off?

She's on a date with the new guy.

KIDDING!

I'm out, good luck!
  • jayayach
    jayayach Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    As long as you are open and honest about it, I see no problem with it. It's all about trust. The fact that you even feel the need to ask worries me.