Couch - to - 5k Running Plan

Options

Replies

• meanness67
    meanness67 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    W3D1 this morning and I did Great! I was really worried about running for 3 minutes at a time but I did it! It's funny how the mind works...when you know you have to do 90 seconds you think that's all you can do but then when you have to do 3 minutes, you are somehow able to do it! Next week looks scary with so much running; seems like such a big jump, but now I think I can mentally tackle it.

Keep going everyone; you can do it, too! :bigsmile:
  • m2kjenn
    m2kjenn Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way moving to week 4 - it is a lot of running, I was amazed the first time I completed the 5 min run. It is hard, but like you said, once you get into it you complete it!!! Good for you keeping with it.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    lol ok probably sounds funny, but i keep my ipod tucked into my bra [lol i have to double up and wear two to run :laugh: so i tuck it between the layers so it's safe and i don't have to fuss with it anywhere :blushing:

I do that too!!! :laugh:
  • Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Finished day 1 or week 2 last night. I did good. My dd, sil and me ran at the park again. One of the songs was kind of fast paced and I found myself running with the fast beat of the song so I had to work to run at a slower pace so I wouldn't wear myself out. :laugh: I think maybe the reason the park seems easier is because I've been trying to run at a slow pace. It seems like I'm not getting as far though even though the park has a loop instead of a straight path like the Green River trail. Sil doesn't like to run at the park so I guess we'll be running Green River trail on Thursday. :ohwell: Apparently he's self conscious about people watching him run. I'll see how I do on the trail. Maybe if I try to run at a slower pace I'll do fine.

Good luck everyone. Keep up the good work. This is so exciting! :happy:
    you must live close by me, I run sometimes on the soos creak trail. I have never run down on the GR trail though
  • toots99
    Options
    This morning I completed Week 4. It was tough, I may need to redo the week before starting the next one. Tonight I was bored and tried to do it outside instead of on the treadmill like I usually do. Doing it outside it sooo tough! I had to go back to week 1 and I couldn't even complete it! :laugh:

On another note, I found a cool iPhone app that's a C25K app...not a podcast. You can even listen to your own music in the backgroud instead of whatever the podcast is playing! It was $1.99, but it was worth it!
  • AmyT88
    AmyT88 Posts: 239
    Options
    Well I'm sorry to report that I have not done any type of workout since I did W1D1.

I will be starting over whenever I get around to working out again. Not sure what's been stopping me other than I'm feeling down.

A good workout would probably make me feel better though so I think I just need to get out there and do it.

It's encouraging to see everyone else still pushing through each day and each week. Keep it up!
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Finished day 1 or week 2 last night. I did good. My dd, sil and me ran at the park again. One of the songs was kind of fast paced and I found myself running with the fast beat of the song so I had to work to run at a slower pace so I wouldn't wear myself out. :laugh: I think maybe the reason the park seems easier is because I've been trying to run at a slow pace. It seems like I'm not getting as far though even though the park has a loop instead of a straight path like the Green River trail. Sil doesn't like to run at the park so I guess we'll be running Green River trail on Thursday. :ohwell: Apparently he's self conscious about people watching him run. I'll see how I do on the trail. Maybe if I try to run at a slower pace I'll do fine.

Good luck everyone. Keep up the good work. This is so exciting! :happy:
    you must live close by me, I run sometimes on the soos creak trail. I have never run down on the GR trail though

Holy cow, you're in Covington! I live in Kent. My S-I-L and DD live in Kent too. Talk about a small world. :laugh:
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Well I'm sorry to report that I have not done any type of workout since I did W1D1.

I will be starting over whenever I get around to working out again. Not sure what's been stopping me other than I'm feeling down.

A good workout would probably make me feel better though so I think I just need to get out there and do it.

It's encouraging to see everyone else still pushing through each day and each week. Keep it up!

Don't give up Amy. It took me a few tries to be able to stay on track. Seemed like there was always something to interrupt me. Now I've finally completed weeks 1 and 2 and I'll start week 3 tonight. Good luck to you. :flowerforyou:
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    i've stayed on week one for about 2 weeks now [well after this week is over]

and then maybe i will be brave enough to move on... :flowerforyou:
  • meanness67
    Options
    W3D2 was this morning...it seemed harder than Monday. I have noticed that the first workout of the week seems not too bad, then the second one seems much harder, then the third seems easier. I guess that is the body adapting to the changes each week.

Still worried about week 4 - such a drastic change it may take two weeks to be able to do it...we shall see next week.

Keep moving everyone!
  • TheGoblinRoad
    TheGoblinRoad Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I've always wanted to be a runner. I'll see people out running and think man, I wish I could do that. Just get out and run.

Wife and I started this program together last week. She's been doing daily walks for a month or 2 now and I wanted to get out there with her but try to get to running. We're on W2D2 today, hope the weather co-operates and doesn't rain this evening.

I'm also starting P90X by myself and that is killing me. Hoping it doesn't effect my ability to run. :laugh:

Started c25K today myself with my wife, too. I did ok-I'm going to go buy new shoes today since my shoes had holes in the heels and caused pain, but my wife did great!
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I'm on W2D2, did that this morning! And yes, get new running shoes! I had Walmart specials, and my feet hurt VERY bad and I got blisters. I splurged on 90 buck running shoes from New Balance and they made a HUGE difference. I would not have stuck with this program if I still had those bad shoes.

This program is amazing!
  • AmyT88
    AmyT88 Posts: 239
    Options
    Just complete W1D1...again. I figured since it had been over a week since I did D1 I shouldn't try to just make it work with 2 more days of W1 and it would be better for my body to do the whole first week, as planned. But since I had done it once before I had a better idea of where I should turn around. I planned it out great and was back at my house when it was over :bigsmile:

Have a great day everyone!
  • kelly_a
    kelly_a Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    i just started (again) yesterday....is it ok to do any exercise between days or not? like just walking or stretch and tone or weighted ball workout? i am so excited! keep at it, we can do it! yeah for us! :bigsmile:
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    i just started (again) yesterday....is it ok to do any exercise between days or not? like just walking or stretch and tone or weighted ball workout? i am so excited! keep at it, we can do it! yeah for us! :bigsmile:

I walked like crazy on my days 'off' because my muscles were so stiff I knew if I didn't keep them moving the pain would be worse. And it actually helped.
  • re_define
    Options
    W5D2 completed this morning. WOW, never though I'd ever be able to run for 8 minutes straight. I never even did that as a kid! The next day in the program calls for 20 straight minutes of running. Are they insane?! :huh: lol
  • m2kjenn
    m2kjenn Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    W5D2 completed this morning. WOW, never though I'd ever be able to run for 8 minutes straight. I never even did that as a kid! The next day in the program calls for 20 straight minutes of running. Are they insane?! :huh: lol

funny - Insane may be right - However, I remember thinking that at 3 minutes and at 5 minutes, yet I keep managing to get through it. So maybe it is all just mental.

I felt so good last night, it was my day off from the c25k but I had a stressful day, so decided I really needed to get out and walk. Took off with my border collie, after walking a bit, I thought, I'll just job for a little while, I ended up jogging for over 5 minutes (which is the week I'm on now) I felt Amazing!!! It was just easy and so stress relieving. Exactly the feeling I was hoping for when I started this journey.
  • toots99
    Options
    I thought I'd have to do week 4 over again because it was so tough for me, but I told myself to at least try W5D1, and I did it! It wasn't easy, but not as tough as I had expected. I did stop here and there during the walk to try to stretch my calf. Does this happen to anyone else when running? My right calf gets sooooo tight, it doesn't get cramped, but feels tight like it's swollen (even though it isn't). I've tried to stretch it and massage it during the walking part, and it helps a bit, but it doesn't go away til I stop running.
  • meanness67
    Options
    Week 3 Done! :bigsmile: Next week will be tough but I feel like if I can do that week, then nothing can stop me from finishing the program!

I occasionally have a little pain in my left knee when I run but I have found that if I move away from it mentally, it will go away. How do I do this? I count the number of times my right foot touches the ground (actually the treadmill). This way I am focusing on my right foot instead of my left knee. Seems to work for me.

For those of you having trouble with calf muscles and shin pain, I used to have that problem too. I usually start by doing 3 minutes of the warm up walk to get my muscles awake (I do this at 5am!), then I spend a little time stretching my legs and calves, then finish up the last 2 minutes of the warmup walk at a little faster speed then I'm ready to run!

Have a great weekend, everyone! :glasses:
  • re_define
    Options
    Pretty sure I'll be repeating week 5 next week. I only had two days where I was able to fit in the time to do days one and two of week five and won't have time to run again until monday. So instead of taking 3 days off and jumping back into it, I'll just repeat the week again for good measure.