Adele.. fat?!

Options

Replies

• Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    She used to be fat, now she's an inbetweenie. She lost a significant amount of weight.
    I think she was cuter when she was fat, but she's a hottie either way.
    It really has no relevance whether she's fat or not, though. It's her body, her business.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options

The US average dress size is a 14.

and a 14 vanity size is more like a true 18. Just sayin'.

I wear a vanity size 14 dress and 16 in pants, but vanity sizes make these arbitrary numbers almost laughable.

in any case, people always tell me I look like Adele. I didn't even know who she was, so I looked her up. She's pretty, and I take it as a compliment, though, there are many other actresses I look more like, it's just that they're thinner than me. So what happens is that people see a heavy, attractive woman and say, "hey you look like..." meaning to imply that I am attractive (which I know) "for a heavy woman" (which is ignorant). I still take it as a compliment because that's how people mean it, but it's not very well-thought out.

and back on the arbitrary vanity sizing again: sizes are not fair comparisons because of height and body composition, either. I have two girlfriends that wear a size 10 but one has a 36" waist and the other a 32" waist.
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Feb 2012

adele-the-brit-awards-2012-at-the_5798357.jpg
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Feb 2012

adele-the-brit-awards-2012-at-the_5798357.jpg

Sorry folks, if I were to use the term 'fat'...it would still apply to her in my opinion.
  • sofitheteacup
    sofitheteacup Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I consider her overweight and like others, appreciate that she doesn't seem to give it much thought- there's a quote from her circulating about how she has a goal never to be skinny, or something to that effect. In any case, I've been compared to her a lot, as far as looks. I don't see it, but I do find it flattering.
  • dunlunicor
    dunlunicor Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Isn't a UK size 14/16 like a US size 10/12? That's not even plus sized! Yeah, she's heavy, but I wouldn't say fat. There are women who carry weight well, and she is one of them.
  • Trail_Addict
    Options
    Isn't a UK size 14/16 like a US size 10/12? That's not even plus sized! Yeah, she's heavy, but I wouldn't say fat. There are women who carry weight well, and she is one of them.

What does "heavy" even mean?
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    As a culture, we have become too sensitized to the word "fat". It is seen in a negative condontation, but the word when used as an adjective means "(of a person or animal) Having a large amount of excess flesh". I'm fat, heck many of us on here are fat, that is why we are here: but that does not mean she is not beautiful. Adele is an amazing and inspirational young woman who is beatiful and carries herself very well. Fat is a description, not a sense of being.

This.

Thank you liz! People need to take the feelings out of using the word fat as a description. She seems to be healthy, she has a great voice, and she is gorgous. I could technically describe myself the same way. I know I am beautiful and healthy, but I am fat. It is a fact and a description but not how I identify myself, and others need to realize that it is truly not a hurtful thing when used as a description. The sensitivity to the word fat is what causes EDs, not the "idealized size" that people keep talking about. Until we teach our daughters to be confident in their abilities and bodies, EDs will keep happening. Both my daughter and I have a very solid sense of self. My daughter does because I tell her all the time how beautiful she is. When she is teased for being "fat", she understands (because I helped her to) that it is just a description and not WHO she is. She knows that we are eating healthy for our health, not because others judge us for being "fat".
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I don't like to use the word 'fat' since it hurts peoples feelings...but yes, I think Adele is obese. She is still very beautiful though. I also love that she doesn't seem to give a damn if anyone thinks she's fat. Nothing is sexier than all that confidence

Since when is a size 12 US (UK 14-16) Obese???/Fat??? Some people have a warped sense of what "fat" is, but I think that when I see someone who's 125 lbs looking to lose 10 lbs smh..

Because of vanity sizing clothes are probably two sizes off. I wear a size 2 but I know my measurements are a true size 6. The only reason a size 14 is average in the US is because the average american is overweight or obese. It still doesn't make it healthy. Adele is pretty tall too I believe, so I doubt she is a size 12. She's probably a 16-18.

Also what exactly is wrong with someone who's 125lbs trying to lose 10lbs? If the person is 5'2-5'6' 115lbs is a perfectly healthy weight for them. If anyone has a warped sense it would be you for thinking someone that overweight is in good health. It doesn't take much extra weight to put a person in a category of poor health and increased risks.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    She's not Beth Ditto, but yeah she's pretty chunky.
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    As a culture, we have become too sensitized to the word "fat". It is seen in a negative condontation, but the word when used as an adjective means "(of a person or animal) Having a large amount of excess flesh". I'm fat, heck many of us on here are fat, that is why we are here: but that does not mean she is not beautiful. Adele is an amazing and inspirational young woman who is beatiful and carries herself very well. Fat is a description, not a sense of being.

This.

Thank you liz! People need to take the feelings out of using the word fat as a description. She seems to be healthy, she has a great voice, and she is gorgous. I could technically describe myself the same way. I know I am beautiful and healthy, but I am fat. It is a fact and a description but not how I identify myself, and others need to realize that it is truly not a hurtful thing when used as a description. The sensitivity to the word fat is what causes EDs, not the "idealized size" that people keep talking about. Until we teach our daughters to be confident in their abilities and bodies, EDs will keep happening. Both my daughter and I have a very solid sense of self. My daughter does because I tell her all the time how beautiful she is. When she is teased for being "fat", she understands (because I helped her to) that it is just a description and not WHO she is. She knows that we are eating healthy for our health, not because others judge us for being "fat".

I can understand why people are senstivie to the word though. Fat has come to have many negative connotations outside of just describing have a high %bodyfat. At least for women, many people assume fat goes along with lazy, unfit, unhealthy, slothenly, gluttonous etc. Also the thing that annoys me is that it seems for women anyone who isn't lean/skinny is fat.. yet in my experience men are only described as fact once they get truly obese.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    Honest opinion.....
    And please no slating me for this. Im just honestly answering the OP's question.

I do think adele is fat.

But my honest opinion, and once again i know this will annoy alot of people, but im just inputting my honest opinions into the post. No trolling intended and i dont expect people to agree with me..

But i think, UK size 8 / US size 4 is average.
    UK size 12 / US size 8 is fat.
    And UK size 10 / US size 6 is just pushing it.. Depends how well you carry yourself..

But not trying to troll, just my honest opinion.
    This is delusional. I am a size US 8 and usually in a group I am smaller than average. According to this scale pretty much everyone outside of Hollywood and a few high school girls are fat or worse.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Who?
  • onequirkygirl
    onequirkygirl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Yeah, being "fat" is an adjective to describe her, just like pretty, or talented. Being fat or not being fat has no relevance to her career--if your professor's fat, no one says anything, they're still a great professor, and Adele's singing is her profession. The only instance where we can judge her weight would be if she entered a fitness competition, or something actually related. I don't see how being famous rids her of her personal right against judgement that we give anyone else we encounter....
  • dunlunicor
    dunlunicor Posts: 189 Member
    Options

Oh, come on! She's not small, that's pretty clear.

In my opinion, fat (unless you're an Olympic body builder, or someone else with a huge muscle mass) starts at a BMI of 35-40. Unless you're a *****, then it starts wherever you are, but that's another topic entirely. And to me, BMI of 25 or more is heavy, athletes aside.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I don't like to use the word 'fat' since it hurts peoples feelings...but yes, I think Adele is obese. She is still very beautiful though. I also love that she doesn't seem to give a damn if anyone thinks she's fat. Nothing is sexier than all that confidence

Since when is a size 12 US (UK 14-16) Obese???/Fat??? Some people have a warped sense of what "fat" is, but I think that when I see someone who's 125 lbs looking to lose 10 lbs smh..

Because of vanity sizing clothes are probably two sizes off. I wear a size 2 but I know my measurements are a true size 6. The only reason a size 14 is average in the US is because the average american is overweight or obese. It still doesn't make it healthy. Adele is pretty tall too I believe, so I doubt she is a size 12. She's probably a 16-18.

Also what exactly is wrong with someone who's 125lbs trying to lose 10lbs? If the person is 5'2-5'6' 115lbs is a perfectly healthy weight for them. If anyone has a warped sense it would be you for thinking someone that overweight is in good health. It doesn't take much extra weight to put a person in a category of poor health and increased risks.

:heart:
    yet in my experience men are only described as fact once they get truly obese.

Nope...this is fat too:

7434194_2240.jpg
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Honest opinion.....
    And please no slating me for this. Im just honestly answering the OP's question.

I do think adele is fat.

But my honest opinion, and once again i know this will annoy alot of people, but im just inputting my honest opinions into the post. No trolling intended and i dont expect people to agree with me..

But i think, UK size 8 / US size 4 is average.
    UK size 12 / US size 8 is fat.
    And UK size 10 / US size 6 is just pushing it.. Depends how well you carry yourself..

But not trying to troll, just my honest opinion.
    This is delusional. I am a size US 8 and usually in a group I am smaller than average. According to this scale pretty much everyone outside of Hollywood and a few high school girls are fat or worse.

They said in their opinion. I sort of agree with this opinion in terms of what looks attractive and appealing. I do think a size 4 (what a current day size 4 is so that's around a 27'' waist and 37'' hips) looks most attractive on women. Its not too big and its not too small. I'm saying this for average height as well which is around 5'4-5'5
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options

This.

I can understand why people are senstivie to the word though. Fat has come to have many negative connotations outside of just describing have a high %bodyfat. At least for women, many people assume fat goes along with lazy, unfit, unhealthy, slothenly, gluttonous etc. Also the thing that annoys me is that it seems for women anyone who isn't lean/skinny is fat.. yet in my experience men are only described as fact once they get truly obese.

And this assumption is why so many people are sensitized to the description of fat. Being fat does not mean that someone sits down in front of a bucket of chicken and a gallon of fries...it just means there is more on them than is "ideal" for their body size. I am 5'6", and because I have a rather large bone structure (thank you German Ancestry), my "ideal" weight is about 160-175#. I currently weigh 261#, so yeah, I'm pretty fat. It doesn't mean I'm ugly or lazy or gluttonous. I'll admit when I was 450# those rang true, but not now.

Don't get me wrong, I used to get offended when people said I was fat but really for many people that is a reflection of their own insecurity. When my doctor says I am fat though, it is out of concern that despite all my loss and the fact that I am now off all my medication, I still am at risk. It is what it is, and it's not mean, just fact.
  • Trail_Addict
    Options

Oh, come on! She's not small, that's pretty clear.

In my opinion, fat (unless you're an Olympic body builder, or someone else with a huge muscle mass) starts at a BMI of 35-40. Unless you're a *****, then it starts wherever you are, but that's another topic entirely. And to me, BMI of 25 or more is heavy, athletes aside.

So if a person has a high % of body fat, they're not fat? She's obviously not carrying a lot of muscle mass.

And did you just try to insult me?
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Adele-Weight-Loss.jpg

Interesting! I guess I'll downgrade my "obese" to "overweight".