Guys can never be right can they??

Options

Replies

• Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    [i shall ignore the argument and base my answer on my own experience and research. ]

My DH and I often argue about who has to put up with the most cr@p from the other, difference being that he's comfortable reciting my faults to me while I'd rather not do that to him.

Fortunately, neither my husband nor I has ever had a problem with his buying me sanitary protection, just the same as we can both buy toilet roll, or tissues or condoms. I'd think it was an age thing, but actually I don't think either of us have ever had a problem with it, and we met in our early 20s.

Research has proven that men have cycles too (apparently more accidents happened on a railway at a certain point in the male workers' 'cycle') and I do suspect this is why my DH will be fine for weeks on end and then throws a hissy fit over nothing. Problem is, there's no visible sign of his TOM, so he can't see the pattern as easily or learn to counteract it. If I'm in a foul mood before my TOM I can rationalise it as hormones and bite my tongue or apologise. Because he hasn't got this knowledge of his hormone cycle he thinks his feelings are 'real' and 'justified' and the apology can't come until the next day.

I think I might just start logging his strops and look for a pattern.
  • WelcomeToWonderland
    Options
    If you're mature enough for a relationship you should be mature enough to understand that menstruation is just a bodily function and tampons are no different than buying band-aids or toilet paper. I talk to my girlfriend (who has never and will never menstruate) in detail about my menstruation and she doesn't bat an eyelash. She has picked me up tampons at the store before. I appreciate it, but I don't give her any gold stars, because it's a matter of being nice. And anyone should be nice to their partner in a relationship, or I have no idea why they would have the relationship to begin with.
    Men/women don't deserve special recognition just for not being jerks.

She also a girl. Where i'm living and a lot of parts of the world, for a man to do that is normally out of their comfort zones band not something that biologically the have to deal with. especially older generations like my father who's almost 70 where growing up it was pretty much a forbidden topic. Heck when my sisters (both in their mid 30's) were growing up it still wasn't talked about as openly as it is now.

If you paid attention, she never has and will never will menstruate, thus it's as "out of her comfort zone" as it is for any man, as it's biologically something she will never have to deal with.
    To buy tampons you don't exactly have to talk about it, either. Just go through a checkout. You aren't going to have a lengthy discussion on clotting and hormonal fluctuations with the checkout guy. They'll ring you up and probably barely look at what you're buying.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but she has a vagina right, cause thats a hell of a lot closer the men have it. If it's so out of her comfort zone then give her a back massage or something, since it's such a big deal she wont ever have her period. Seriously, there are so many misandrists on here, it's insane.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    If you're mature enough for a relationship you should be mature enough to understand that menstruation is just a bodily function and tampons are no different than buying band-aids or toilet paper. I talk to my girlfriend (who has never and will never menstruate) in detail about my menstruation and she doesn't bat an eyelash. She has picked me up tampons at the store before. I appreciate it, but I don't give her any gold stars, because it's a matter of being nice. And anyone should be nice to their partner in a relationship, or I have no idea why they would have the relationship to begin with.

She's also a girl. Where i'm living and a lot of parts of the world, for a man to do that is normally out of their comfort zones band not something that biologically the have to deal with. especially older generations like my father who's almost 70 where growing up it was pretty much a forbidden topic. Heck, when my sisters (both in their mid 30's) were growing up it still wasn't talked about as openly as it is now.

Don't argue with them dear...just let her rant. She has about 1/3 the life experience you do, and is 3yrs older. It will just end up stressing you, and it's not worth it.
    for a long time men were taught that doing things like buying tampons was not acceptable and despit how far we personally come as a society we are lacking.. so for a man who will never experance something like a period to break these long standing unwritten rules should be given some credit...
    besides i have faced the wall of pads and know how daunting it can be and i have been at this a while now i can only imagine how overwheling it must be for someone who hasnt.

As you know I'm single lol...but I still buy them for my 14yr old daughter...who is still at that stage where any mention of it is mortifying, and having to stand there and pick them out herself would be absolutely terrifying.

The conversation on the phone (she won't even go with me...and since I buy the biggest package I can, I always forget what kind by the time I have to buy them again) while I'm standing there trying to figure out which ones I got last time is comical, I'm sure.

Are you my doctor? Didn't think so. Nice ad hominem though.

goldstar.jpg
    HEREZ UR GOLD STARRRR
  • tialeanne
    tialeanne Posts: 186 Member
    Options

She also a girl. Where i'm living and a lot of parts of the world, for a man to do that is normally out of their comfort zones band not something that biologically the have to deal with. especially older generations like my father who's almost 70 where growing up it was pretty much a forbidden topic. Heck when my sisters (both in their mid 30's) were growing up it still wasn't talked about as openly as it is now.

If you paid attention, she never has and will never will menstruate, thus it's as "out of her comfort zone" as it is for any man, as it's biologically something she will never have to deal with.
    To buy tampons you don't exactly have to talk about it, either. Just go through a checkout. You aren't going to have a lengthy discussion on clotting and hormonal fluctuations with the checkout guy. They'll ring you up and probably barely look at what you're buying.

When exactly did this thread become about you and your situation? The fact that your partner is a woman, regardless of whether or not she has a period, makes it acceptable in society for her to walk through the store with a box of tampons whereas a man might be viewed as "whipped" or some such.

I think you're willfully misunderstanding.

Dear OP, I enjoyed your post. I appreciate where you're coming from. I agree, my husband does some of the sweetest things for me and I could give him a little less hell every once in a while. Thanks for such a nice topic.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    [i shall ignore the argument and base my answer on my own experience and research. ]

My DH and I often argue about who has to put up with the most cr@p from the other, difference being that he's comfortable reciting my faults to me while I'd rather not do that to him.

Fortunately, neither my husband nor I has ever had a problem with his buying me sanitary protection, just the same as we can both buy toilet roll, or tissues or condoms. I'd think it was an age thing, but actually I don't think either of us have ever had a problem with it, and we met in our early 20s.

Research has proven that men have cycles too (apparently more accidents happened on a railway at a certain point in the male workers' 'cycle') and I do suspect this is why my DH will be fine for weeks on end and then throws a hissy fit over nothing. Problem is, there's no visible sign of his TOM, so he can't see the pattern as easily or learn to counteract it. If I'm in a foul mood before my TOM I can rationalise it as hormones and bite my tongue or apologise. Because he hasn't got this knowledge of his hormone cycle he thinks his feelings are 'real' and 'justified' and the apology can't come until the next day.

I think I might just start logging his strops and look for a pattern.

LOL! I fully believe this is possible :).
  • Umeboshi
    Options

Correct me if i'm wrong, but she has a vagina right, cause thats a hell of a lot closer the men have it. If it's so out of her comfort zone then give her a back massage or something, since it's such a big deal she wont ever have her period. Seriously, there are so many misandrists on here, it's insane.

A vagina makes it so much easier to buy a box of cotton.
    But no, she doesn't have one.
    MISANDRY OMGZ
  • WelcomeToWonderland
    Options

She's also a girl. Where i'm living and a lot of parts of the world, for a man to do that is normally out of their comfort zones band not something that biologically the have to deal with. especially older generations like my father who's almost 70 where growing up it was pretty much a forbidden topic. Heck, when my sisters (both in their mid 30's) were growing up it still wasn't talked about as openly as it is now.

Don't argue with them dear...just let her rant. She has about 1/3 the life experience you do, and is 3yrs older. It will just end up stressing you, and it's not worth it.
    for a long time men were taught that doing things like buying tampons was not acceptable and despit how far we personally come as a society we are lacking.. so for a man who will never experance something like a period to break these long standing unwritten rules should be given some credit...
    besides i have faced the wall of pads and know how daunting it can be and i have been at this a while now i can only imagine how overwheling it must be for someone who hasnt.

As you know I'm single lol...but I still buy them for my 14yr old daughter...who is still at that stage where any mention of it is mortifying, and having to stand there and pick them out herself would be absolutely terrifying.

The conversation on the phone (she won't even go with me...and since I buy the biggest package I can, I always forget what kind by the time I have to buy them again) while I'm standing there trying to figure out which ones I got last time is comical, I'm sure.

THIS!!! You are the perfect example of how dads should be! you and my dad are the only ones i know who are willing to do it. Everyone else's fathers are too embarrassed. My dad made a good point, he said its not like anyone thinks its for him :p
  • crisanderson27
    Options

THIS!!! You are the perfect example of how dads should be! you and my dad are the only ones i know who are willing to do it. Everyone else's fathers are too embarrassed. My dad made a good point, he said its not like anyone thinks its for him :p

Your Dad is a good man...despite what the little troll thinks lol.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options

MISANDRY OMGZ

So she doesn't have girly parts but is a she? Not being sarcastic, just confused. I'm pretty certain to actually be a girl you need a vagina. Unless she is actually a transgender, in which case you've been a little misleading here. Le sigh...I am so confused
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    omg, just because someone is in a heterosexual relationship doesn't mean that they are bashing homosexual relationships.

just because someone eats meat doesn't mean they hate people who are vegetarian

just because someone is christian doesn't mean they hate someone who is athiest

etc

etc

etc
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    omg, just because someone is in a heterosexual relationship doesn't mean that they are bashing homosexual relationships.

just because someone eats meat doesn't mean they hate people who are vegetarian

just because someone is christian doesn't mean they hate someone who is athiest

etc

etc

etc

/hug!
  • Umeboshi
    Options

MISANDRY OMGZ

So she doesn't have girly parts but is a she? Not being sarcastic, just confused. I'm pretty certain to actually be a girl you need a vagina. Unless she is actually a transgender, in which case you've been a little misleading here. Le sigh...I am so confused

She's a transgender woman. How is that misleading? A transgender woman is still a woman, and thus I refer to her as such.

Just for future reference, "a transgender" is a very bad way of putting it, as it pigeonholes them into a category other than 'woman'. It's similar to calling someone 'a gay' or 'a black' instead of a gay man, a black man, etc.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Sorry you're on the wrong board. MFP only caters to man-hating threads. Try askmen.com or something

You know...I can go on and say "I told you so" but that would be redundant at this point...
  • Twilightsunflower
    Twilightsunflower Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    gold stars should be given with love not out from a place of rudness and cruelty..beside he didnt go with you to buy them so really you have given a gold star just to be mean.. and that is just not cool... he is doing something nice for is daughter which is not a common practice anymore... he is standing up when to many walk away for you to make a mockery of my post is one thing to use it as soap box for your views if another to be out right spite full to someone who is a man and acts like one well that is it!!

dont post on topics that dont pertain to you!! i dont most people who have any selfrespect dont because by now in life they have figured out that it makes them look childish!! be happy in your relationship and let others do the same!
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options

She's a transgender woman. How is that misleading? A transgender woman is still a woman, and thus I refer to her as such.

Just for future reference, "a transgender" is a very bad way of putting it, as it pigeonholes them into a category other than 'woman'. It's similar to calling someone 'a gay' or 'a black' instead of a gay man, a black man, etc.

I think when discussing menstrual cycles it is relevant to point out that she is transgender. Earlier when you said that she'll never have a menstrual cycle, the first thing that popped into my head was that she had female reproductive organs but for some medical reason would not have a period.

I agree that it's a bad way to put it USUALLY, but when talking about reproduction, I think you should bring it up to avoid confusion.
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    gold stars should be given with love not out from a place of rudness and cruelty..beside he didnt go with you to buy them so really you have given a gold star just to be mean.. and that is just not cool... he is doing something nice for is daughter which is not a common practice anymore... he is standing up when to many walk away for you to make a mockery of my post is one thing to use it as soap box for your views if another to be out right spite full to someone who is a man and acts like one well that is it!!

dont post on topics that dont pertain to you!! i dont most people who have any selfrespect dont because by now in life they have figured out that it makes them look childish!! be happy in your relationship and let others do the same!

It's ok hun, she's an emotional, and mental child. Epigea is the one that upset me initially...I'm over it. Umeboshi is just a big bag of hot air, and easy for me to ignore.

Thank you though...it means a lot :).
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    Sorry you're on the wrong board. MFP only caters to man-hating threads. Try askmen.com or something

You know...I can go on and say "I told you so" but that would be redundant at this point...

Me too, but it was nice to live the dream for six posts.
  • Umeboshi
    Options

I think when discussing menstrual cycles it is relevant to point out that she is transgender. Earlier when you said that she'll never have a menstrual cycle, the first thing that popped into my head was that she had female reproductive organs but for some medical reason would not have a period.

I agree that it's a bad way to put it USUALLY, but when talking about reproduction, I think you should bring it up to avoid confusion.

I think I don't owe you any information about my girlfriend's genitalia.

Would you like to describe your genitals to me?
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options

MISANDRY OMGZ

Sorry, didn't mean to offend you, I am actually very supportive of my transgender friends...both male and female, none of which who split hairs like you do.

You were misleading in the fact that your girlfriend was actually born a man, so therefore would have the normal reactions to tampons and stuff that a normal man would have. The fact that your girlfriend is enlightned and much more sympathetic to a woman's needs means that she is in fact deserving of the "way to go" award.

No one was attacking you or your relationship until you started getting defensive after sticking your foot in. I am all about choice in partners, and there is no judgement here from me about your relationship. Heck, I've had female relationships too when I was younger and trying to figure out who I was. I have no place to judge, and therefore I do not. However, you have come into a thread that was basically an "atta boy" for men who suck it up to be good to the woman they are with. Granted women deal with a lot of crap, because let's face it...we all get pretty b!tchy at times, but no need to get your feathers ruffled over semantics.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options

I think this is why it makes no sense being embarrassed. A man with heteronormative social beliefs might reasonably feel embarrassed buying his gf/wife's make-up, as it might be for him to use. There may be imaginative ways of a vagina-less individual using tampons that I'm not aware of, but no one in the shop will be thinking of them :laugh:
This discussion has been closed.