Who was embarrassed, so used a random photo to start with?

Options
I have made a little observation... And I don't know whether it is right.. or just a coincidence. Let me explain - LOTS of people who are new to MFP seem to have a profile pic of their dog, favourite saying, beach scene etc... But NOT themselves... But as soon as the pounds start to come off and they are proud of their achievement, they put a photo up. I know this was definitely true for me. When I started I was so ashamed of how big I was, that I Simply put up a cute poochy photo... But now that I have lost weight I use my profile photo to share my success. What about you? Did you put a photo of you up?.. or a random photo? ...and if so, what were your thoughts at the time?

Replies

• Drenched_N_Motivation
    Drenched_N_Motivation Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I was. So I pretended I was Ron Burgundy.
  • ValiCaly
    ValiCaly Posts: 111
    Options
    <

Not embarrassed. I just think the rocks and flowers are prettier than I am ;-)
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I'm a doggie pic, and I like it that way. :laugh:

I'm not embarrassed as such, but I've never liked having my picture taken, even when I was thinner. I don't even like mirrors. I'm sure that has some deep psychological meaning of some sort, but that's just the way I am.

I might put up a before and after photo (just found a before I didn't know about) once I hit my goal weight, but I might not.

Does that even remotely answer the question?
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    I'm new here, but used to post on another exercise website. I never used my own pic but not because I'm embarrassed of my looks. I just want privacy & prefer to talk about certain things without the world knowing who I am. :)
  • piratesaregrand
    piratesaregrand Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Mines a part of me.

I haven't posted a photo of myself online in years, but in the job I do it's better if I'm undercover
  • NoSharpei
    NoSharpei Posts: 73
    Options
    Mines a part of me.

I haven't posted a photo of myself online in years, but in the job I do it's better if I'm undercover
    LOL... I love that.. "a part of me".. And it is very nice too :)
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I think my profile pic shows that I have no shame when it comes to hideous photos.
  • CeeRawr89
    CeeRawr89 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    When I first started it was me, it will always be me. No matter my shape or form. I'm not embarrassed, I'm doing this for me, and I don't care what people think. There are people who are smaller than me, there are people who are larger than me. I'm okay with that. I've come to realize that this journey is all about me. It's my own selfish right, and it not only benefits me, it benefits my family and friends, because a healthier me is a happier me. So, I don't really care if someone sees my "fat" pictures, I'm all about pictures. Big or small, it's still me on the inside.
  • Assassins_Angel
    Options
    I am still embarrassed lol so i use a pic from my fav game
  • SorchaRavenlock
    SorchaRavenlock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I don't feel comfortable posting a real picture yet, I hate the way I look at the moment. I'm sure it will change in the future. A lot of my friends who started at the same time/are a similar weight have been brave enough to post real pictures and I admire them so much for that.
  • scruffykaz
    scruffykaz Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I was tempted not to put up a photo of me but I decided to go ahead and put up a photo because to me, it was about accepting my weight and acknowledging that I wanted to do something about it, not making excuses anymore. Just a personal thing but I didn't want to hide from it anymore and I wanted to show (to myself) that I was serious about shedding the lbs this time and for me, putting up a photo symbolised that (to myself)
  • TinnedTuna
    TinnedTuna Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I hate my photo been taken and never let it happen, and i am embarrassed about it,
    but looking back over the years there is no photos and the kids will have none of me when i'm gone.
    were going away in a few weeks and might actually let myself be snapped for the first time in years

It's awful when you hate the way you look.
  • Graciecny
    Graciecny Posts: 303
    Options
    << much cuter than me. :laugh:

Seriously, I prefer not to have a big honking' photo of my face plastered anywhere!
  • iron_jj
    iron_jj Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I'm too lazy to take pictures! :indifferent:
  • SueD66
    SueD66 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Nope it's me lumps bumps and all.
  • elekelk
    elekelk Posts: 107
    Options
    Its true for me! I was embarrassed if someone I knew would see that it was me if I didn't succeed in losing weight. After 25 pounds I didn't care, by then I was only proud of myself :)
  • freew67
    freew67 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Mine is a legit photo.
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Yup pretty much...I only just recently added a picture of myself.
  • samf36
    samf36 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Not fond of putting up any picture of me or family members in public so the Spyder it is.
  • superpapa16
    superpapa16 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Mine is a photo that was on my phone when I joined. Now I'm too lazy to change it...