• monkeybrain2012
    Options
    bump
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Tales of Mystery and Terror Edgar Allan Poe
    The Ship that Sailed to Mars
    I just read some Poe last night before going to bed. I still read mostly nonfiction, but I do make exceptions for Edgar Allen Poe or H. P. Lovecraft.
  • jayayach
    jayayach Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I like to read the classics. Some of my favorites have come from the Banned Books list.

http://www.ala.org/advocacy/banned/frequentlychallenged/challengedclassics
  • aki7chien
    aki7chien Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Another great series (to me) are the Clan of the Cave Bears series by Jane Auel.

I loved those books, but felt the last two were not as good as the first four.
    (and it's Jean M. Auel, by the way, but I know exactly who you mean!)

LOL! I know I shoulda googled it first instead of relying on memory! ;-)
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge book nerd too! We should start a group on here to discuss books and get ideas!
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I read mostly nonfiction these days. I like european history. I even learned a couple of ancient languages just so I could read the primary sources for myself. That took a little while.

Fascinating! Which languages?

I'm partial to East Asian, Roman and Egyptian history myself. So I've read a couple of books about China and Japan and have seen a good number of specials about them all
    Latin and Old English (Anglo-Saxon)
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I'v ebeen reading "Barney's version" by Mordecai Richler. Absolutely hillarious.

I'm personally a huge Mario Puzo fan, read every single book written by him. Try reading "The Sicillian" if you're into Godfather type genre. I absolutely loved The Sicillian.
  • aki7chien
    Options
    I really liked The Gravediggers Daughter by Joyce Carol Oates. I usually don't read much fiction, and it was the only one I have read by that author, but I liked it. I have been trying to read some of the old classics as of late. Really interesting stuff!

I am currently reading the Divine Comedies by Dante. I'm up to Paradise, and I like it, but not nearly as interesting as the Inferno. :)

Next in my Nook cue, Metamorphosis by Ovid!

Try the Portrait of Dorian Gray! I really enjoyed it!

Cool! Thanks! ;-)
  • sisierra
    sisierra Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    ...backs quietly out of the thread

nooooo come back! we can talk about...about...SHAKESPEARE! yes shakespeare! I've read Antigone and the one about her dad lol

LOL

I'm more into science/speculative fiction, and horror,

Shatterday - Harlan Ellison ( some of his best short stories)

The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress - Robert Heinlein (great science fiction)

I, Robot - Isaac Asimov (nice collection of shorts, far different from the movie)

The Dresden Files - Jim Butcher (paranormal/fantasy which might appeal to you - I liked the first few, and then meh)

Books of Blood - Clive Barker

Jim Butcher sounds vaguely familiar, I won't lie, the books I read are generally by women. But The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress sounds very interesting.

I'm a scardy cat, so the furthest I've gotten into horror is dracula lol
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Have you read the Fever series by Karen Marie Moning? It's my favourite by far.
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I'm so excited by this thread... I have a huge list of books to read and now i'm finding more to add! There's always SOMETHING new out there (or old... I love the classics as well :smile: )
  • coachblt
    coachblt Posts: 1,090
    Options
    Vince Flynn's series:

Start with Third Option. I was hooked immediately. I introduced the series to my mother, father and a few of my students whom I know like to read...all of them are hooked.

www.vinceflynn.com
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
  • sisierra
    Options
    Hi!

A few of my favourite books:
    Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte
    Watership Down - Richard Adams
    The Book Thief - Marcus Zusak
    Middlesex - Jeffrey Eugenides
    A Man in Full - Tom Wolfe

I also enjoy reading young adult fiction, and particularly love the His Dark Materials trilogy by Phillip Pullman, and the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling

If you enjoy Young Adult Fiction i TOTALLY recommend: Tamora Pierce, Christopher Paolini, Meg Cabot, and the P.C. Cast House of Night series
  • sisierra
    Options
    I'm so excited by this thread... I have a huge list of books to read and now i'm finding more to add! There's always SOMETHING new out there (or old... I love the classics as well :smile: )

share!!
  • aki7chien
    Options
    Classics:

Watership Down
    Tailchaster's Song
    Flowers for Algernon

* all of which should come with a box of tissues*
  • sisierra
    Options
    Have you read the Fever series by Karen Marie Moning? It's my favourite by far.

I don't think I have but I will definitely look into it! You should try out the Mona Lisa series by Sunny (has nothing to do with the painting lol)
  • luvsunshine1
    luvsunshine1 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I am reading The Memory Palace so far an excellent read.
    In my car, I am listening to The Witness by Nora Roberts, also excellent.
    I really liked Killing Lincoln by Bill O'Reilly.

In Cold Blood was definitely a great book, although it stayed with me longer than I wanted it to.
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Also, the Amelia Peabody series of books by Elizabeth Peters.
  • anabell31
    anabell31 Posts: 268
    Options
    I am reading The Memory Palace so far an excellent read.
    In my car, I am listening to The Witness by Nora Roberts, also excellent.
    I really liked Killing Lincoln by Bill O'Reilly.

In Cold Blood was definitely a great book, although it stayed with me longer than I wanted it to.

Nora Roberts sounds familiar, hmm...