Book Nerds --UNITE!

Options

Replies

• kristenlees122
    Options
    i love books.. at the moment reading game of thrones (just started). my favourites range from lord of the rings to harry potter to the time traveler's wife to the sookie stackhouse series.. i'll give anything a go!
  • Tmrice721
    Tmrice721 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I've called you all here for a very important reason. I NEED NEW BOOKS! Give unto me your recommendations! Or we can have a lively discussion about things we've read. Any genre is welcome!

My personal favorites are Paranormal Romance though ;D

My absolute favorite authors include: Sherrilyn Kenyon, Katie MacAlister, Lora Leigh, J.R. Ward, Christine Feehan, Jaid Black and J.D. Robb

Christine Feehan, J.D. Robb are my favorites too!!! Try Iris Johansen she is another good one... I'm a fellow book nerd, Baldacci is another favorite. I will try the authors you mentioned, I'm running low too.
  • anabell31
    anabell31 Posts: 268
    Options
    I took a Shakespeare class last semester and my teacher went into great depth about King Lear. I must say it's one of my favorites now.

Oy, King Lear wasn't my favorite, I must admit. I liked Hamlet cuz its like Lion King :bigsmile:

I absolutely HATED the characters and the outcome, but I got so emotionally involved with it through the class that it was tear-jerking. We watched a film version of the play (starring my all-time favorite man Ian McKellen) as we read it and it had some funny scenes in it too!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else LISTEN to books while they work out? I've been doing this since the 90s! It really keeps me going.
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Classics:

Watership Down
    Tailchaster's Song
    Flowers for Algernon

* all of which should come with a box of tissues*

me no likely the sad books! but since we're talking about them: Marley and Me (like the movie) absolute tear jerker! and My Sister's Keeper (the book is MUCH better than the movie)

Totally agree - I hate how they changed the end in the movie. WTF??

So glad I'm not the only one, that REALLY pissed me off! Like, how can you even say the movie is an adaptation if you change the ending so drastically?!

Right. I won't say what happened for the people who HAVEN'T read the book - but the ending of the movie and the book are polare opposite. It's crazy. I can't even believe the author authorized it.
  • anabell31
    Options
    Actually Shakespeare is early modern english. Old english is a low-german dialect and older than middle english, but you won't find a whole lot of reading material written in it. :-)

I spent a whole semester with Chaucer... It all feels the same some how.
    For your reading enjoyment, here's the opening paragraph of Beowulf in Old-English:

Hwæt we Gar-Dena in gear-dagum þeod-cyninga þrym gefrunon, hu ða æþelingas ellen fremedon.
    (So. The spear-danes in days gone by and the kings who ruled them had courage and greatness. We have heard of those princes' heroic campaigns.)

I love this story. It inspired the Hobbit, which lead to the Lord of the Rings.

I'll remember that tidbit! I'm leaving on Tuesday to study abroad in New Zealand and have a class dedicated to the LotR books and movies. Maybe I can impress my teacher :D
  • ShannonD13
    ShannonD13 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Trina m. Lee and Lindsay sands. I love reading the series!
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Total book nerd here. Since I work in a library, that's kind of a given. ;D I literally read anything and everything, from classics to romances. I am a part of the supernatural/paranormal train though. "A Discovery of Witches" by Deborah Harkness, "The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane" by Katherine Howe, "The Last Werewolf" by Glen Duncan - all paranormal without lacking in the literary department. I can always read some J. R. Ward of Karen Marie Moning though... ;D

But, really, since I work with the teen section at my library, I read a lot of young adult fiction that's surprisingly good. Definitely the Gemma Doyle series by Libba Bray, Mortal Instruments/Infernal Devices series by Cassandra Clare, anything by Maggie Stiefvater. I could name hundreds that I love.

If you don't already, goodreads.com is a great book social networking site. You can track all of the books you read, review them, get suggestions, etc. I'm on it more than Facebook, lol!

I loooove the Gemma Doyle series too! Glad I'm not the only adult who loved it! I'm on goodreads.com too... it's great, I've found some awesome books there.
  • tootsanderson
    tootsanderson Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    i love almost all books and am an unapologetic romance reader. i am very unfond of literary fiction, but generally i'll read anything. i like YA too. my favorite personally is romantic suspense. i like karen robards, amanda quick, julie miller and lisa jackson to name a few. i occasionally read para romance but it isn't my favorite. historicals almost never get read. maybe two or three a year. i like series mysteries a lot.
  • Adshill
    Adshill Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Hmm paranormal romance... I think I know something you might like. If you can read german, check out Das Parfum (Perfume). There's probably an english translation out there.

I have Perfume in English. I need to re-read it - it's been a while. A very different book, but really good.

I also agree with those suggesting the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon and the Fever series by Karen Marie Moning. I also love Nora Roberts and Harlan Coben (he writes mystery/thriller type books). Now I need to get a pen and write down all these other books and authors! Thanks for all the ideas!!
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    JASPER FFORDE. Specifically.. Shades of Grey. and no.. not that Shades of Grey. This one came first.
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Actually Shakespeare is early modern english. Old english is a low-german dialect and older than middle english, but you won't find a whole lot of reading material written in it. :-)

I spent a whole semester with Chaucer... It all feels the same some how.
    For your reading enjoyment, here's the opening paragraph of Beowulf in Old-English:

Hwæt we Gar-Dena in gear-dagum þeod-cyninga þrym gefrunon, hu ða æþelingas ellen fremedon.
    (So. The spear-danes in days gone by and the kings who ruled them had courage and greatness. We have heard of those princes' heroic campaigns.)

I love this story. It inspired the Hobbit, which lead to the Lord of the Rings.
    [/quote]

I'll remember that tidbit! I'm leaving on Tuesday to study abroad in New Zealand and have a class dedicated to the LotR books and movies. Maybe I can impress my teacher :D
    [/quote]
    Tolkien actually translated Beowulf. He was one of the few authorities on Old-English at the time.
  • delonda1
    delonda1 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Classics:

Watership Down
    Tailchaster's Song
    Flowers for Algernon

* all of which should come with a box of tissues*

me no likely the sad books! but since we're talking about them: Marley and Me (like the movie) absolute tear jerker! and My Sister's Keeper (the book is MUCH better than the movie)

Totally agree - I hate how they changed the end in the movie. WTF??

So glad I'm not the only one, that REALLY pissed me off! Like, how can you even say the movie is an adaptation if you change the ending so drastically?!

Right. I won't say what happened for the people who HAVEN'T read the book - but the ending of the movie and the book are polare opposite. It's crazy. I can't even believe the author authorized it.

I LOVED My Sisters Keeper book and was SO EXCITED for the movie...and absolutely hated it... same thing with Something Borrowed though
  • teacupowl
    teacupowl Posts: 104
    Options
    Ooooh, and I totally agree with brneydgrlie! The "Amelia Peabody" series is amazingly witty and fun if you like mysteries and Egypt - one of my absolute favorites. And the "Outlander" series is by far some of THE BEST historical fiction ever written. It's researched to the point of insanity, but the romance is heartbreaking. It'll keep you entertained for a loooong time too. Each book is absolutely massive. :D
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Love Gena Showalter! Try Sherrilyn Kenyon! She is by far my favorite author! And she has plenty of books out there so it'll take you a nice while to catch up to the end of the series =D

I have plenty of hers. She was my intro to paranormal romance, but she's been kinda hit and miss for me the last few books. I think after Acheron I'm kinda like, "Do we really have to one up the amount of torture every dude is on the receiving end of?"

If you're in to super duper quality romance that happens to have the most ultimate element of TIME TRAVEL I suggest the outlander series. Awesomeawesomeawesome (diana galbadon). I think most of the time she even gets put over in the big fiction section. ;)
  • KyliAnnHobson
    KyliAnnHobson Posts: 551 Member
    Options

I loved the Dark tower series it took me a long time to read it b/c I went back and read a few of the other books that he references a lot like Salem's Lot and a few others but it was a great series.

It's amazing how many of his books are referenced and tied in together in that series!
  • reactor25
    reactor25 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    BUMP for later! Majored in English LIT :) Love the classics and all the rest!
  • MindyBlack
    MindyBlack Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Fellow book nerd here! Not much for romance but I do like Shakespeare :). And horror

Have you read the original Dracula? If I weren't a modern person, obsessed with vamps, weres and things of that ilk I would have been seriously creeped out

Have you read Dracula in Love? STEAMY!!! I don't remember the author's name. It was cool, shows Mina wasn't such a damsel in distress. Plus, did I mention, STEAMY??
  • anabell31
    Options
    Tolkien actually translated Beowulf. He was one of the few authorities on Old-English at the time.

Didn't he also translate Sir Gawain and the Green Knight?
  • rockyshrode
    rockyshrode Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Recent reads........... Born Wicked by Jessica Spotwood, Amanda Hockings Tyrelle Trilogy :-) all of these are Young adult books but fun reads. I also loved, loved, loved Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness and Angelogy by Danielle Trussoni.

You should share some of your favorite books or authors too!

Discovery of Witches has been one of my favorite reads so far this year! I would highly recommend 'The Restorer' by Amanda Stevens (part of the Graveyard Queen series) - it's similarly smart, mysterious/suspenseful, with a well-written plot and likeable cast. You'll thank me for those bags under your eyes when you simply can't book the book down... well, kind of. ;)