Book Nerds --UNITE!

Options

Replies

• lostsanity137
    lostsanity137 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Another great series (to me) are the Clan of the Cave Bears series by Jane Auel.

I second this. I read just about everything, including paranormal romance, and I was surprised by how much I loved these books!

For paranormal romance I would recommend Lynsay Sands, Kerrelyn Sparks, and Katie MacAlister. They all write hilarious romance novels.
    For something even better, I am a big fan of Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake series. It's not as light as the above authors, but definitely more fun!
    I also read Janet Evanovich and loved the Hunger Games.

I am also a big Stephen King fan, and read a crap ton of other things like fantasy. I enjoy Elizabeth Haydon and Kristen Britain and I am currently reading A Game of Thrones.

Anyone on here can feel free to friend me by the way, or find me on Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/jschmidt137
    and you can see what I have read.
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Total book nerd here. Since I work in a library, that's kind of a given. ;D I literally read anything and everything, from classics to romances. I am a part of the supernatural/paranormal train though. "A Discovery of Witches" by Deborah Harkness, "The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane" by Katherine Howe, "The Last Werewolf" by Glen Duncan - all paranormal without lacking in the literary department. I can always read some J. R. Ward of Karen Marie Moning though... ;D

But, really, since I work with the teen section at my library, I read a lot of young adult fiction that's surprisingly good. Definitely the Gemma Doyle series by Libba Bray, Mortal Instruments/Infernal Devices series by Cassandra Clare, anything by Maggie Stiefvater. I could name hundreds that I love.

If you don't already, goodreads.com is a great book social networking site. You can track all of the books you read, review them, get suggestions, etc. I'm on it more than Facebook, lol!

I loooove the Gemma Doyle series too! Glad I'm not the only adult who loved it! I'm on goodreads.com too... it's great, I've found some awesome books there.

Oh man, I totally also read DISCOVERY OF WITCHES, and found it pretty delicious. I also am an adult that liked that Gemma Doyle series. Ahhh. YA series are so tasty these days!
  • teacupowl
    teacupowl Posts: 104
    Options
    I loooove the Gemma Doyle series too! Glad I'm not the only adult who loved it! I'm on goodreads.com too... it's great, I've found some awesome books there.

Lol, I read more teen fiction than adult nowadays! It's amazing how much the genre has exploded with really talented writers in the last few years.
  • anabell31
    anabell31 Posts: 268
    Options
    The Graveyard Queen series? That sounds interesting!
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Tolkien actually translated Beowulf. He was one of the few authorities on Old-English at the time.

Didn't he also translate Sir Gawain and the Green Knight?
    As a matter of fact, I believe he did.
  • genuinelyfrans
    Options
    I actually was a huge fan of Wuthering Heights, a little confusing since everyone had the same name haha but a great book nevertheless :)
  • MindyBlack
    MindyBlack Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Actually Shakespeare is early modern english. Old english is a low-german dialect and older than middle english, but you won't find a whole lot of reading material written in it. :-)

I spent a whole semester with Chaucer... It all feels the same some how.
    For your reading enjoyment, here's the opening paragraph of Beowulf in Old-English:

Hwæt we Gar-Dena in gear-dagum þeod-cyninga þrym gefrunon, hu ða æþelingas ellen fremedon.
    (So. The spear-danes in days gone by and the kings who ruled them had courage and greatness. We have heard of those princes' heroic campaigns.)

I love this story. It inspired the Hobbit, which lead to the Lord of the Rings.

I'll remember that tidbit! I'm leaving on Tuesday to study abroad in New Zealand and have a class dedicated to the LotR books and movies. Maybe I can impress my teacher :D
    [/quote]
    Tolkien actually translated Beowulf. He was one of the few authorities on Old-English at the time.
    [/quote]

The public library here has the Canterbury Tales in the original, I think Middle English?? with modern English along side it. About once a year I check it out and try to figure out the original before I look at the modern. It is really cool whn I start to recognize words. I am not sure if it helps that I studied German in school. I am such a nerd but I would love to learn these old languages.

I always correct people that the King James Bible is not in Old English.
  • teacupowl
    teacupowl Posts: 104
    Options
    I actually was a huge fan of Wuthering Heights, a little confusing since everyone had the same name haha but a great book nevertheless :)

That was my biggest problem with "Wuthering Heights"! I got so confused while reading it. Definitely an epically tragic romance, but one of the most baffling reads ever for me.
  • sisierra
    sisierra Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    i love almost all books and am an unapologetic romance reader. i am very unfond of literary fiction, but generally i'll read anything. i like YA too. my favorite personally is romantic suspense. i like karen robards, amanda quick, julie miller and lisa jackson to name a few. i occasionally read para romance but it isn't my favorite. historicals almost never get read. maybe two or three a year. i like series mysteries a lot.

Try Linda Howard!
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    Total book nerd here. Since I work in a library, that's kind of a given. ;D I literally read anything and everything, from classics to romances. I am a part of the supernatural/paranormal train though. "A Discovery of Witches" by Deborah Harkness, "The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane" by Katherine Howe, "The Last Werewolf" by Glen Duncan - all paranormal without lacking in the literary department. I can always read some J. R. Ward of Karen Marie Moning though... ;D

But, really, since I work with the teen section at my library, I read a lot of young adult fiction that's surprisingly good. Definitely the Gemma Doyle series by Libba Bray, Mortal Instruments/Infernal Devices series by Cassandra Clare, anything by Maggie Stiefvater. I could name hundreds that I love.

If you don't already, goodreads.com is a great book social networking site. You can track all of the books you read, review them, get suggestions, etc. I'm on it more than Facebook, lol!

I love Goodreads. I just need friends on there lol...
  • AutumnSkye10
    Options
    One of my guilty pleasure series is the House of Night series by PC & Kristen Cast. I liken it to Harry Potter but with vampires.

I also just finished "My Soul to Take" by Rachel Vincent. It's not a religious book like it might sound, but the first of another paranormal series, but this one dealing with something OTHER than vampires or witches.
  • janelle1993
    janelle1993 Posts: 128
    Options
    I love Shakespeare, a few Chaucer, a few Milton. But I'm all for any type of books I haven't read any of the ty
  • janelle1993
    janelle1993 Posts: 128
    Options
    Pe you read but maybe you can tell me some titles. :)
  • AutumnSkye10
    Options
    Oo I'm on Goodreads! Add me! Anyone!

http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/5516043-jen
  • Momma_Grizz
    Momma_Grizz Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I love reading romantic paranormal suspense. My e-reader is basically attached to me these days. You may enjoy reading the series by Nicky Charles: The Mating, The Keeping, The Finding and (the just released) Bonded. And the best part - they are 300 to 400 page novels and she doesn't charge for them - they are free. She offers them through Smashwords.com.

Happy reading!
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    other books I've read and enjoyed

I am Legend Richard Matheson
    Madame De Pompadour by Nancy Mitford
    The Night Circus
    No Longer Human by Osamu Dazai
    The serpent and the rainbow
    the magic island by seabrook
  • hoppinfroggin22
    hoppinfroggin22 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    odd thomas by Dean Koontz....My favorite author :)
  • genuinelyfrans
    Options

That was my biggest problem with "Wuthering Heights"! I got so confused while reading it. Definitely an epically tragic romance, but one of the most baffling reads ever for me.

It is definitely tough early on but once I figured out all the names I really liked it. Plus, I like that it is a tragic romance, instead the quintessential happily ever after like in Disney movies (though I also really love Disney movies haha)
  • AutumnSkye10
    Options
    In undergrad we actually had to try and read an entire page of Beowulf written in the Old-English. I was the only one who could get anywhere close due to knowing German. :-P
    Actually Shakespeare is early modern english. Old english is a low-german dialect and older than middle english, but you won't find a whole lot of reading material written in it. :-)

I spent a whole semester with Chaucer... It all feels the same some how.
    [/quote]
    For your reading enjoyment, here's the opening paragraph of Beowulf in Old-English:

Hwæt we Gar-Dena in gear-dagum þeod-cyninga þrym gefrunon, hu ða æþelingas ellen fremedon.
    (So. The spear-danes in days gone by and the kings who ruled them had courage and greatness. We have heard of those princes' heroic campaigns.)

I love this story. It inspired the Hobbit, which lead to the Lord of the Rings.
    [/quote]
  • stepharega
    stepharega Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I love Shakespeare! I'm goonna look up this "goodreads.com" bit :]