Book Nerds --UNITE!

Options

Replies

• deidradean13
    Options
    Have you read the original Dracula? If I weren't a modern person, obsessed with vamps, weres and things of that ilk I would have been seriously creeped out
    [/quote]

I love werewolf and vampire books! I am reading the House of Night series by P.C. Cast & Kristen Cast. I am also reading the Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs. I like all of that "magic" stuff.

Another book I just finished reading is Fifty Shades of Grey. If u like romance, this one is a VERY descriptive erotic romance book. I really liked it and want to buy the 2nd and 3rd books.
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I read a lot of romance and Christian fiction, oxymoron I know lol!! More often than not I'm usually home with a book and perfectly content.

Some of my favorite authors are Rochelle Alers, Shirley Hailstock, Nikita Lynette Nichols, Vanessa Davis Griggs, Carl Weber, and JJ Murray to name a few.....
    The only christian fiction book I can think of off the top of my head would be The Facade by Michael S. Heiser don't-forget-the-Ph.D.. I don't particularly like him. I think he's a narcissist.
  • Bridge_CG
    Bridge_CG Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Fellow book nerd here! Not much for romance but I do like Shakespeare :). And horror

I love Shakespeare!!!!!!!!!! Have you read Truman Capote's In Cold Blood?

Yep, had to read it for an English class back in high school. It was really good!!

Sisierra, Dracula was another book I had to read for school, lol. Also very good! I love vamps and weres and stuff like that. I'm in the process of writing my own series right now :3

I loved Dracula!!! I read In Cold Blood on my own, but... I loved it, I really adore Truman Capote. I'm looking at graduate schools in London so I can get my MBA in Shakespeare and American Literature!!! Haha

I really want to read MacBeth but the Old English is scaring me off lol

Don't let the Old English throw you off!!!! It's easy to read really, it's just the word order on some things. But, if you don't like Old English, then stay away from Chaucer... All in middle English!
  • seal57
    seal57 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I have so many books on my kindle that I don't think I could read them all in this life time......But I still look for more......

I've actually written a couple of stories. Not long stories.....Ones about a page long the other about half a page.....Um, they aren't your usual run of the mill stories that some people would admit to reading....:blushing:
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Are you paper books or ebooks?....I have a kindle and simply love it....

I love reading and will read anything...But there are times I will start a book but can't get into it so I add it to my couldn't finish folder.....

I have a Kindle Fire and it's the best thing I've ever got. It saves me money and my husband and my books were all over the place. We decided it was time to get Kindles or else get rid of books, which we didn't want to do. Now I buy books if it's something I absolutely love.
  • jg627
    Options
    Fellow book nerd here! Not much for romance but I do like Shakespeare :). And horror

I love Shakespeare!!!!!!!!!! Have you read Truman Capote's In Cold Blood?

Yep, had to read it for an English class back in high school. It was really good!!

Sisierra, Dracula was another book I had to read for school, lol. Also very good! I love vamps and weres and stuff like that. I'm in the process of writing my own series right now :3

I loved Dracula!!! I read In Cold Blood on my own, but... I loved it, I really adore Truman Capote. I'm looking at graduate schools in London so I can get my MBA in Shakespeare and American Literature!!! Haha

I really want to read MacBeth but the Old English is scaring me off lol

Don't let the Old English throw you off!!!! It's easy to read really, it's just the word order on some things. But, if you don't like Old English, then stay away from Chaucer... All in middle English!
    Actually Shakespeare is early modern english. Old english is a low-german dialect and older than middle english, but you won't find a whole lot of reading material written in it. :-)
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I read everything, but my favorites in paranormal romance are.. uhhhh
    Kresley Cole, Gena Showalter, and Larissa Ione.

I also just finished up the Newsflesh Trilogy by Mira Grant, and it was pretty excellent.
  • anabell31
    anabell31 Posts: 268
    Options
    I have so many books on my kindle that I don't think I could read them all in this life time......But I still look for more......

I've actually written a couple of stories. Not long stories.....Ones about a page long the other about half a page.....Um, they aren't your usual run of the mill stories that some people would admit to reading....:blushing:

Whee!! Another writer!! No worries, mine aren't run-of-the-mill either :p
  • sisierra
    sisierra Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh I am a HUGE book nerd! Best gift I ever got was my Nook, so now I can read any book I want in seconds. I'm on the fourth book of the Game of Thrones trilogy and am loving it. Love Shakespeare. Loved The Night Circus, The Hunger Games, anything by Neil Gaiman, the Iron Knight series, Divergent, 1Q84, The Hedgewitch Queen, anything by Toni Morrison or Octavia Butler, Wench, The Winter Sea, The Magicians...

Uh oh...I really could go on and on and on...lmao!!

Please go on and on! Thats the purpose of this thread! But I recommend Scribd.com to you too! I can e-mail you the file for Master of the Universe (basically the same thing as 50 shades) if you want! just shoot me a message!
  • Bridge_CG
    Options
    [/quote]
    Actually Shakespeare is early modern english. Old english is a low-german dialect and older than middle english, but you won't find a whole lot of reading material written in it. :-)
    [/quote]

I spent a whole semester with Chaucer... It all feels the same some how.
  • sisierra
    Options

I demand you and anabelle share these stories!
  • delonda1
    delonda1 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I LOVE BOOKS! Mostly ANYTHING..big on things about wars, history, love and romance, suspense

I am looking for great books to read since its summer.. last books i read were the hunger games trilogy which took me 4 days to finish all three books (im one of those ill sit in the house and read rather than go out type people)

I am thinking of reading The Great Gatsby AGAIN because I love it and the movie with Leonardo is coming out in Dec...buttt maybe I'll wait closer to then

Any other great suggestions?
  • sisierra
    Options
    Classics:

Watership Down
    Tailchaster's Song
    Flowers for Algernon

* all of which should come with a box of tissues*

me no likely the sad books! but since we're talking about them: Marley and Me (like the movie) absolute tear jerker! and My Sister's Keeper (the book is MUCH better than the movie)

Totally agree - I hate how they changed the end in the movie. WTF??

So glad I'm not the only one, that REALLY pissed me off! Like, how can you even say the movie is an adaptation if you change the ending so drastically?!
  • sisierra
    Options
    I took a Shakespeare class last semester and my teacher went into great depth about King Lear. I must say it's one of my favorites now.

Oy, King Lear wasn't my favorite, I must admit. I liked Hamlet cuz its like Lion King :bigsmile:
  • Bridge_CG
    Options
    I took a Shakespeare class last semester and my teacher went into great depth about King Lear. I must say it's one of my favorites now.

Oy, King Lear wasn't my favorite, I must admit. I liked Hamlet cuz its like Lion King :bigsmile:

Hamlet and A Midsummer Night's Dream are my favorites!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I've called you all here for a very important reason. I NEED NEW BOOKS! Give unto me your recommendations! Or we can have a lively discussion about things we've read. Any genre is welcome!

My personal favorites are Paranormal Romance though ;D

My absolute favorite authors include: Sherrilyn Kenyon, Katie MacAlister, Lora Leigh, J.R. Ward, Christine Feehan, Jaid Black and J.D. Robb
    If you like paranormal romance try Darynda Jones' books, starting with First Grave on the Left. GREAT FUN.
    (not generally a category I like, but I love hers)
  • pamperedlinny
    pamperedlinny Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    Ooo. I love JD Robb and have met her a bunch of times. Do you know she is having a book signing on July 7? I'm totally going to be there.
  • sisierra
    Options
    I read everything, but my favorites in paranormal romance are.. uhhhh
    Kresley Cole, Gena Showalter, and Larissa Ione.

I also just finished up the Newsflesh Trilogy by Mira Grant, and it was pretty excellent.

Love Gena Showalter! Try Sherrilyn Kenyon! She is by far my favorite author! And she has plenty of books out there so it'll take you a nice while to catch up to the end of the series =D
  • teacupowl
    teacupowl Posts: 104
    Options
    Total book nerd here. Since I work in a library, that's kind of a given. ;D I literally read anything and everything, from classics to romances. I am a part of the supernatural/paranormal train though. "A Discovery of Witches" by Deborah Harkness, "The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane" by Katherine Howe, "The Last Werewolf" by Glen Duncan - all paranormal without lacking in the literary department. I can always read some J. R. Ward of Karen Marie Moning though... ;D

But, really, since I work with the teen section at my library, I read a lot of young adult fiction that's surprisingly good. Definitely the Gemma Doyle series by Libba Bray, Mortal Instruments/Infernal Devices series by Cassandra Clare, anything by Maggie Stiefvater. I could name hundreds that I love.

If you don't already, goodreads.com is a great book social networking site. You can track all of the books you read, review them, get suggestions, etc. I'm on it more than Facebook, lol!
  • jg627
    Options
    [/quote]

I spent a whole semester with Chaucer... It all feels the same some how.
    [/quote]
    For your reading enjoyment, here's the opening paragraph of Beowulf in Old-English:

Hwæt we Gar-Dena in gear-dagum þeod-cyninga þrym gefrunon, hu ða æþelingas ellen fremedon.
    (So. The spear-danes in days gone by and the kings who ruled them had courage and greatness. We have heard of those princes' heroic campaigns.)

I love this story. It inspired the Hobbit, which lead to the Lord of the Rings.