'The Missing' Series Book #1, 'Found' by Margaret Peterson Haddix

Saving CeeCee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman

Room by Emma Donoghue

The Drowning of Ruth by Christina Schwarz

The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton
  • kstrunk1
    kstrunk1 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I've called you all here for a very important reason. I NEED NEW BOOKS! Give unto me your recommendations! Or we can have a lively discussion about things we've read. Any genre is welcome!

My personal favorites are Paranormal Romance though ;D

My absolute favorite authors include: Sherrilyn Kenyon, Katie MacAlister, Lora Leigh, J.R. Ward, Christine Feehan, Jaid Black and J.D. Robb

One of my absolute favorite series is a YA series called Sweep. It's by Cate Tiernan. I devoured the books! It's about Wicca with some definite romance involved. :)
  • AutumnSkye10
    Options
    I LOVE reading! I like almost everything but my favorites are The Sookie Stackhouse novels, The Girl With The Dragoon Tattoo, The Hunger Games series, The Diplomat's Wife, The Other Boleyn Girl, Twlight series (guilty!!), Pretty Little Liars series, The Coldest Winter Ever, Atonement, Running With Scissors, The Power Of One, and everything by Nicholas Sparks and Sandra Brown! :happy:

16586181.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

I loved Running with Scissors!!! Augusten Burroughs ftw :3
    Yes I loved that book! The movie was just alright though in my opinion.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Classics:

Watership Down
    Tailchaster's Song
    Flowers for Algernon

* all of which should come with a box of tissues*

me no likely the sad books! but since we're talking about them: Marley and Me (like the movie) absolute tear jerker! and My Sister's Keeper (the book is MUCH better than the movie)

Totally agree - I hate how they changed the end in the movie. WTF??

So glad I'm not the only one, that REALLY pissed me off! Like, how can you even say the movie is an adaptation if you change the ending so drastically?!

UGH!! This irks me SO much about "adaptations." I can't stand it when they change things so much as to be unrecognizable. They are starting to do that with the Game of Thrones series, and it's been bugging me almost enough to not watch it lol.

Oh!! I thought of more! Almost anything by Margaret Atwood or Anita Diamante. The Moon Under Her Feet by Clysta Kinstler. When She Woke (AMAZING book!). Ender's Game. The Legend of Sleepy Hollow. Moll Flanders. Faust.

Feel free to add me on Goodreads, too! :)http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/2538508-tricia-smith
  • kymillion
    kymillion Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    jerzy kosinki * the painted bird,
    katherine dunn *Geek love

love the painted bird!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I am a super book nerd. I devour books! If anyone wants to be friends on goodreads- PM me!

Some of my FAVORITES are:

Barbara Kingsolver- The Poisonwood Bible
    Ken Follett's Epic Novels- Pillars of the Earth, World Without End, Fall of Giants and looking foreward to the new one in the fall...
    Khaled Hosseini's novels The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns
    Steig Larsson's Millennium trilogy
    Sue Grafton's Alphabet Series
    Janet Evanovitch 's Stefanie Plum books
    Stephen King 11/22/63
    and some of Tami Hoag's novels
    Harry Potter
    and my guilty pleasure is Charlaine Harris
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    I am a super book nerd. I devour books! If anyone wants to be friends on goodreads- PM me!

Ken Follett's Epic Novels- Pillars of the Earth, World Without End, Fall of Giants and looking foreward to the new one in the fall...
    Stephen King 11/22/63
    Harry Potter

It has been a while since I read anything by Tami Hoags!! Love Janet Evanovich :)
  • MoreBean13
    Options

Stephen King 11/22/63
    Harry Potter

It has been a while since I read anything by Tami Hoags!! Love Janet Evanovich :)

I just recently re-read ashes to ashes, and she's got an Oak Knoll series that's pretty recent that I liked. I love a good serial killer/supense novel! I say I like *some* of her books, because any of her books that I've read that involve horses I've hated for some reason. Weird right?
  • sisierra
    sisierra Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I suss I have a literary genome :tongue: as when we cleared out Mum and Dad's home we ended up donating over 13,000 books to the local lending library!

I mostly read non-fiction, histories and such, but I do love Arthurian tomes: Le Mort d'Arthur, The Mists of Avalon, The Last Enchantment to name but a few. Victor Hugo, Cooper, Doyle, Dic* ens are favourites as are PD James, and Marjorie Allingham. My greatest joy is whiling away hours in used bookseller shops, reading bits and pages to make my selections. While I doubt I'll pass my parents collection I suss I have well over 800 hardbound books; I don't think I'll count as it may make me a 'nerd' :laugh:

**Goodness this site censored Charles D-i-c-k-e-n-s name, hence the asterisk

ah! I loved Les Miserables!
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Y'all are really expanding my book list! Mm! om nom nomish!

Has anyone read the Theft of Swords Riyria series? I know it makes me a huge nerd, but I LOVE a good oldschool style epic! :)
  • sisierra
    Options

Had to read The Poisonwood Bible in highschool, good book but so depressing towards the end!
  • tootsanderson
    tootsanderson Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    I got sucked into the "Wheel of Time" series in high school, and I just don't know if I'm mentally prepared for another super long fantasy series. The first one is sitting on my shelf waiting to be read, though!

i really got into 'wheel of time' until like book ten when he really lost me. i felt like i was just reading all these tangents and he was not pulling it together for me. i was really looking for resolution by that point and it was just endless journeys and new characters being introduced all the time. i was really disappointed by the book i ended with. they spend the entire thousand pages give or take wandering around until the very end where rand does one significant thing. that was it for me. but i was hooked until then. and you know, that was my last foray into the world of epic high fantasy too.
  • tootsanderson
    tootsanderson Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options

barbara kingsolver isn't just an author, she's an artist. her books are beautifully lyrical. i still don't like them because they're like a two hundred page poem about awful things but they're lovely. which charlaine harris series do you read? everyone mentions the sookie stackhouse books but i actually don't much like them. i really like charlaine harris though. she's got other stuff i think is better than sookie, but gets much less play.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I've called you all here for a very important reason. I NEED NEW BOOKS! Give unto me your recommendations! Or we can have a lively discussion about things we've read. Any genre is welcome!

My personal favorites are Paranormal Romance though ;D

My absolute favorite authors include: Sherrilyn Kenyon, Katie MacAlister, Lora Leigh, J.R. Ward, Christine Feehan, Jaid Black and J.D. Robb
    I'm right there with you. Have you read Fifty Shades of Grey? You'll love it. I just finished the 3rd book, now I'm scrambling again.
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    If anyone wants more Goodreads friends :)
    http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/7129539-melissa
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    JASPER FFORDE. Specifically.. Shades of Grey. and no.. not that Shades of Grey. This one came first.

I LOVE Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next books! :happy:
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I love anything by SM Stirling. Those (and the next wheel of time book) are the only books that I pre-order in hardcover so that I can read them ON THE DAY that they come out. He's heavy into alternate history/sci fi although he's pretty diverse.

I enjoy Orson Scott Card and he's also really diverse -- you never know what you're gonna get, unless it's Ender.

I really really enjoyed David Weber's Honor Harrington series -- think Horatio Hornblower in space.
  • MoreBean13
    Options

Had to read The Poisonwood Bible in highschool, good book but so depressing towards the end!

barbara kingsolver isn't just an author, she's an artist. her books are beautifully lyrical. i still don't like them because they're like a two hundred page poem about awful things but they're lovely. which charlaine harris series do you read? everyone mentions the sookie stackhouse books but i actually don't much like them. i really like charlaine harris though. she's got other stuff i think is better than sookie, but gets much less play.

I first read Barbara Kingsolver in HS too- but it was "The Bean Trees". I agree that she is an artist, and I have read everything since The Bean Trees voraciously, and most multiple times. Tootsanderson, you are on point with calling her books poetry- I've never thought about it before but it is so true! The way she uses words is so thoughtful, it is much more like a poet than a fiction writer.

Her books can be really sad, but I see them more as realistic and beautiful than sad, I guess. The sad situations explore the humanity of the characters.

WRT Charlaine Harris- I'm just venturing in to her other series now- but I like Sookie. The books are good cheese. Partially I think I like them because I have like ZERO natural creativity, so it's just interesting to get sucked in to an imagined world. Other than Harry potter and Charlaine harris and the occasional steven king book, I have rarely ventured in to any sci-fi or paranormal anything.
  • Mistic811
    Mistic811 Posts: 4
    Options
    I'm into vampire romance and absolutely LOVE LOVE black dagger brotherhood. 50 shades was also very good. Hunger games I enjoyed.
    I will devoure most any book with vampire romance but have been known to dip in to werewolf romance with a little witchyness on the side. :wink:
  • sisierra
    Options
    I'm into vampire romance and absolutely LOVE LOVE black dagger brotherhood. 50 shades was also very good. Hunger games I enjoyed.
    I will devoure most any book with vampire romance but have been known to dip in to werewolf romance with a little witchyness on the side. :wink:

ahhh! I love the brothers! Have you read Lover Reborn? love love love! Tohrment was a bit of a d!ck in it though. And if you like Vamps I recommend the Dark-Hunter series by Sherrilyn Kenyon, it doesn't get much better than that right there!