Book Nerds --UNITE!

Options

Replies

• litelight
    litelight Posts: 53
    Options
    My personal favorites are Paranormal Romance though ;D

Me too! Suggest Vampire Huntress series by LA Banks.
  • KyliAnnHobson
    KyliAnnHobson Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I'm on Goodreads, too! I have a whopping three friends, so feel free to add me! http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/6920758-kyli-ann
  • rockyshrode
    rockyshrode Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    The Graveyard Queen series? That sounds interesting!

It really, really is!
    check it: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9722219-the-restorer
  • rockyshrode
    Options
    Me too! Suggest Vampire Huntress series by LA Banks.

Awesome! I haven't read any of these yet.
  • specialtreat
    Options
    I love to read, haven't done much over the last few years, just starting to get back into it now though. I love romance and the odd thriller.
    My fav authors are Danielle Steel , Jane Green [just finished Patchwork Marriage] and Dean Koontz.
    I am trying to read "I see you" by Gregg Hurwitz but struggling to get into it...

I have THE FIFTY SHADES TRILOGY by EL James I have just brought, no idea what to expect with them though.

I was in the book area, looking for a new book to read and I over heard 3 ladies talking about "Fifty shades of Grey" and how one of them who doesn't read much, brought it and couldn't put it down!

Well of cause then I had to buy it lol! Have yet to start reading it...
  • AutumnSkye10
    Options
    Total book nerd here. Since I work in a library, that's kind of a given. ;D I literally read anything and everything, from classics to romances. I am a part of the supernatural/paranormal train though. "A Discovery of Witches" by Deborah Harkness, "The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane" by Katherine Howe, "The Last Werewolf" by Glen Duncan - all paranormal without lacking in the literary department. I can always read some J. R. Ward of Karen Marie Moning though... ;D

But, really, since I work with the teen section at my library, I read a lot of young adult fiction that's surprisingly good. Definitely the Gemma Doyle series by Libba Bray, Mortal Instruments/Infernal Devices series by Cassandra Clare, anything by Maggie Stiefvater. I could name hundreds that I love.

If you don't already, goodreads.com is a great book social networking site. You can track all of the books you read, review them, get suggestions, etc. I'm on it more than Facebook, lol!

Hi! I work in a library too!!! "A Discovery of Witches" is on my to-read list. Was it good?? I also agree there are a lot of excellent YA books out there which are generally pretty fast reads. :smile:
  • sisierra
    sisierra Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I actually was a huge fan of Wuthering Heights, a little confusing since everyone had the same name haha but a great book nevertheless :)

That was my biggest problem with "Wuthering Heights"! I got so confused while reading it. Definitely an epically tragic romance, but one of the most baffling reads ever for me.

It is definitely tough early on but once I figured out all the names I really liked it. Plus, I like that it is a tragic romance, instead the quintessential happily ever after like in Disney movies (though I also really love Disney movies haha)

ehh, i had to read this for English my senior year of high school, and I was diappointed. I didn't find it romantic at all lol
  • anabell31
    anabell31 Posts: 268
    Options
    Total book nerd here. Since I work in a library, that's kind of a given. ;D I literally read anything and everything, from classics to romances. I am a part of the supernatural/paranormal train though. "A Discovery of Witches" by Deborah Harkness, "The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane" by Katherine Howe, "The Last Werewolf" by Glen Duncan - all paranormal without lacking in the literary department. I can always read some J. R. Ward of Karen Marie Moning though... ;D

But, really, since I work with the teen section at my library, I read a lot of young adult fiction that's surprisingly good. Definitely the Gemma Doyle series by Libba Bray, Mortal Instruments/Infernal Devices series by Cassandra Clare, anything by Maggie Stiefvater. I could name hundreds that I love.

If you don't already, goodreads.com is a great book social networking site. You can track all of the books you read, review them, get suggestions, etc. I'm on it more than Facebook, lol!

Hi! I work in a library too!!! "A Discovery of Witches" is on my to-read list. Was it good?? I also agree there are a lot of excellent YA books out there which are generally pretty fast reads. :smile:

What do you know, A Discovery of Witches was already on my to-read list! Glad you guys recommended it, at least now I know it's good
  • litelight
    litelight Posts: 53
    Options
    Also, Shadow Fever series by Karen Marie Moning. VERY GOOD!
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options

I loooove the Gemma Doyle series too! Glad I'm not the only adult who loved it! I'm on goodreads.com too... it's great, I've found some awesome books there.

I love Goodreads. I just need friends on there lol...

I was just coming on here to suggest Goodreads!!! I have gotten so many great book ideas from tehre
  • rockyshrode
    Options
    I love Shakespeare!!!!!!!!!! Have you read Truman Capote's In Cold Blood?

I have! Although macabre and tragic, it's one of the most beautifully written books I've ever read. Some people can just weave a tale and make it memorable and all-consuming. What an unbelievable talent.
  • Kooraloo
    Kooraloo Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    A kind of lengthy read is the Seeker series (Terry Goodkind) but in my opinion, definitely worth it. Love the series! It's about 13 books long.. and each book is pretty long (the first three combined are like.. 2480 pages) but I looove the series so much. Reread them ALL the time.
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options

I loooove the Gemma Doyle series too! Glad I'm not the only adult who loved it! I'm on goodreads.com too... it's great, I've found some awesome books there.

I love Goodreads. I just need friends on there lol...

Really enjoyed the Gemma Doyle series
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Classics:

Watership Down
    Tailchaster's Song
    Flowers for Algernon

* all of which should come with a box of tissues*

me no likely the sad books! but since we're talking about them: Marley and Me (like the movie) absolute tear jerker! and My Sister's Keeper (the book is MUCH better than the movie)

Totally agree - I hate how they changed the end in the movie. WTF??

So glad I'm not the only one, that REALLY pissed me off! Like, how can you even say the movie is an adaptation if you change the ending so drastically?!

Right. I won't say what happened for the people who HAVEN'T read the book - but the ending of the movie and the book are polare opposite. It's crazy. I can't even believe the author authorized it.

I LOVED My Sisters Keeper book and was SO EXCITED for the movie...and absolutely hated it... same thing with Something Borrowed though

I didn't mind Something Borrowed - the movie. Although the book was, of course, so much better.
  • teacupowl
    teacupowl Posts: 104
    Options

Omg, it was epically good. It had history, romance, intrigue. Definitely one of my top books of last year! The sequel comes out in July, so now is the perfect time to pick it up. ;D It's definitely a looooong book though. It will keep you up late into the night!
  • krystina_letitia9
    Options
    BUMP for later! Majored in English LIT :) Love the classics and all the rest!

Ooooohhhh... I love the classics too - what are your favorites??
  • krystina_letitia9
    Options

Lol, I read more teen fiction than adult nowadays! It's amazing how much the genre has exploded with really talented writers in the last few years.

I agree. I have a 15 year old sister and am getting just as many suggestions from her as from my adult friends and co-workers!
  • AutumnSkye10
    Options

Omg, it was epically good. It had history, romance, intrigue. Definitely one of my top books of last year! The sequel comes out in July, so now is the perfect time to pick it up. ;D It's definitely a looooong book though. It will keep you up late into the night!

I'll see if its in when I go to work tomorrow! Thanks!!