Book Nerds --UNITE!

Options

Replies

• krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Total book nerd here. Since I work in a library, that's kind of a given. ;D I literally read anything and everything, from classics to romances. I am a part of the supernatural/paranormal train though. "A Discovery of Witches" by Deborah Harkness, "The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane" by Katherine Howe, "The Last Werewolf" by Glen Duncan - all paranormal without lacking in the literary department. I can always read some J. R. Ward of Karen Marie Moning though... ;D

But, really, since I work with the teen section at my library, I read a lot of young adult fiction that's surprisingly good. Definitely the Gemma Doyle series by Libba Bray, Mortal Instruments/Infernal Devices series by Cassandra Clare, anything by Maggie Stiefvater. I could name hundreds that I love.

If you don't already, goodreads.com is a great book social networking site. You can track all of the books you read, review them, get suggestions, etc. I'm on it more than Facebook, lol!

I loooove the Gemma Doyle series too! Glad I'm not the only adult who loved it! I'm on goodreads.com too... it's great, I've found some awesome books there.

I love Goodreads. I just need friends on there lol...

I'm on there - and I'm actively updating my books. However, I don't know how to add anyone outside my facebook friends list. If you know how to, you can add me if you want. You'll just have to tell me what to do :smile:
  • Dimpszz
    Dimpszz Posts: 40
    Options
    I LOVE Stephanie Perry Moore's books. She's an Urban Christian fiction author and all of her books are awesome.
  • krystina_letitia9
    Options
    Oo I'm on Goodreads! Add me! Anyone!

http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/5516043-jen

I will! :smile:
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I just remember that I recently picked up a book by Isaac Asimov that I meant to read when I'm in a sci-fi mood. I don't even remember which one it was now. I'm sure it's upstairs somewhere.
  • krystina_letitia9
    Options
    I'm on Goodreads, too! I have a whopping three friends, so feel free to add me! http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/6920758-kyli-ann

I will add you too!
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    I've called you all here for a very important reason. I NEED NEW BOOKS! Give unto me your recommendations! Or we can have a lively discussion about things we've read. Any genre is welcome!

My personal favorites are Paranormal Romance though ;D

My absolute favorite authors include: Sherrilyn Kenyon, Katie MacAlister, Lora Leigh, J.R. Ward, Christine Feehan, Jaid Black and J.D. Robb

oh mine to now if only my kids would leave me alone to read stuff...:cry:
  • Adshill
    Adshill Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Looks like I need to check out goodreads!
  • kstrunk1
    kstrunk1 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Have you read the original Dracula? If I weren't a modern person, obsessed with vamps, weres and things of that ilk I would have been seriously creeped out

I love werewolf and vampire books! I am reading the House of Night series by P.C. Cast & Kristen Cast. I am also reading the Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs. I like all of that "magic" stuff.

Another book I just finished reading is Fifty Shades of Grey. If u like romance, this one is a VERY descriptive erotic romance book. I really liked it and want to buy the 2nd and 3rd books.
    [/quote]

^^If you like vampire books, check out The Morganville Vampires Series. Love, love, love them!! Their YA fiction, quick reads, some humor and fast-paced. Also check out Richelle Mead's The Vampire Academy series.
  • teacupowl
    teacupowl Posts: 104
    Options
    If anyone feels like adding me too, mine is http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/3128517-liz :D

Like I said, work with teens, so I read mostly teen fiction - but if you're looking for something good in that department, I definitely have tons on my shelves, lol!
  • bllowry
    bllowry Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I suss I have a literary genome :tongue: as when we cleared out Mum and Dad's home we ended up donating over 13,000 books to the local lending library!

I mostly read non-fiction, histories and such, but I do love Arthurian tomes: Le Mort d'Arthur, The Mists of Avalon, The Last Enchantment to name but a few. Victor Hugo, Cooper, Doyle, Dic* ens are favourites as are PD James, and Marjorie Allingham. My greatest joy is whiling away hours in used bookseller shops, reading bits and pages to make my selections. While I doubt I'll pass my parents collection I suss I have well over 800 hardbound books; I don't think I'll count as it may make me a 'nerd' :laugh:

**Goodness this site censored Charles D-i-c-k-e-n-s name, hence the asterisk
  • tootsanderson
    tootsanderson Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I recommend any book by Christopher Moore. They're all supernatural/horror, all contain romance, and are all hilarious.

i love christopher moore. i've never been disappointed by one of his books.
    Patricia Cornwell. The Pendergast Series by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child to name a few :)

i was really into patricia cornwell for a long time and then one of books was like, yikes, way too much. i don't even remember which one it was. the one with coin on the kid's butt. that's all i remember about it now. this was years ago. but that was the end of patricia cornwell for me. i did read her nonfiction book she wrote though.
    Try the Portrait of Dorian Gray! I really enjoyed it!

i pretty much think every thing oscar wilde did was art.
    The Dresden Files - Jim Butcher (paranormal/fantasy which might appeal to you - I liked the first few, and then meh)

i am a HUGE fan of the dresden files. i even liked the show. and it was pretty different. i hate susan lol. but everything else is awesome.
    Tales of Mystery and Terror Edgar Allan Poe

are you going to watch that poe movie? i really loved eap and i really want to see it. i'm not much of a movie watcher. but i think i'll make it to that one.
    Crime and Punishment?

i read crime and punishment when i was in high school for an advanced english class. i really liked it. there was a point they allowed us to stop reading but i kept on by myself.
    I really like Janet Evanovich

i loved janet evanovich until about book ten of the stephanie plum novels. then i got bored of all the love triangle crap and she really started getting on my nerves.
    I am currently reading the Divine Comedies by Dante. I'm up to Paradise, and I like it, but not nearly as interesting as the Inferno. :)

i loved the divine comedy. inferno was the best, agreed.
    I am thinking of reading The Great Gatsby AGAIN because I love it and the movie with Leonardo is coming out in Dec...buttt maybe I'll wait closer to then

the great gatsby is one of the best books ever written imo. the first time i read it when i was like seventeen i totally didn't get it. i was like dude this book is stupid. but then i read it again around 20 and realized how good it is. it's something i go back to with some frequency now.
    If you like paranormal romance try Darynda Jones' books, starting with First Grave on the Left. GREAT FUN.
    (not generally a category I like, but I love hers)

darynda jones is actually a great friend of mine. i'm a writer too, so actually i know a lot of these people mentioned casually but i actually love darynda and her books are great. i mean, great! and she's the nicest lady you'll ever meet. she deserves all the success she's been having.

Watership Down - Richard Adams

i made the mistake of reading watership down when i was in the second grade. oh, it's about bunnies... yeah. SCARRED. FOR. LIFE.
    My most favorite book is The Princess Bride the abridged version b y William Goldman if you like the movie you will love the this book.

the book is fab. considerably more charming than the movie.
  • krystina_letitia9
    Options
    Feel free to add me on goodreads.com as well :smile:

http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/8328159-krysti
  • LinsenNRoses
    LinsenNRoses Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I LOVE reading! I like almost everything but my favorites are The Sookie Stackhouse novels, The Girl With The Dragoon Tattoo, The Hunger Games series, The Diplomat's Wife, The Other Boleyn Girl, Twlight series (guilty!!), Pretty Little Liars series, The Coldest Winter Ever, Atonement, Running With Scissors, The Power Of One, and everything by Nicholas Sparks and Sandra Brown! :happy:

16586181.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I suss I have a literary genome :tongue: as when we cleared out Mum and Dad's home we ended up donating over 13,000 books to the local lending library!

I mostly read non-friction, histories and such, but I do love Arthurian tomes: Le Mort d'Arthur, The Mists of Avalon, The Last Enchantment to name but a few. Victor Hugo, Cooper, Doyle, ****ens are favourites as are PD James, and Marjorie Allingham. My greatest joy is whiling away hours in used bookseller shops, reading bits and pages to make my selections. While I doubt I'll pass my parents collection I suss I have well over 800 hardbound books; I don't think I'll count as it may make me a 'nerd' :laugh:
    LOL I already tried it once. The swear checker will get you if you mention Charles D.
  • Dethea
    Dethea Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Anything that Paulo Coehlo has touched is amazing! He's very inspirational.

Recently read the Game of Thrones books.
  • rooster70460
    rooster70460 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    <
    Hi I am Colette and I'm a book nerd!

Love to read romance....serial killers....true crime and autobiographies!!
  • JamCubeChi
    JamCubeChi Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Love to read -when I can fit it into my crazy work schedule. Pretty much read anything that holds my interest. I do not have to have the current best sellers.
    Love James Patterson, Dean Koonz, Nora Roberts, Robert Ludlum, Janet Evancovich, Danielle Steele, on and on.. I sometimes feel like a kleptomaniac when it comes to books. I keep stockpiling them anywhere I can find them. I often find books at the library (the local library's where I live sell used books. I also seek out thrift stores to get them .50 to $100. Costco warehouse also has books at very good prices. :smile:
  • anabell31
    anabell31 Posts: 268
    Options
    I LOVE reading! I like almost everything but my favorites are The Sookie Stackhouse novels, The Girl With The Dragoon Tattoo, The Hunger Games series, The Diplomat's Wife, The Other Boleyn Girl, Twlight series (guilty!!), Pretty Little Liars series, The Coldest Winter Ever, Atonement, Running With Scissors, The Power Of One, and everything by Nicholas Sparks and Sandra Brown! :happy:

16586181.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

I loved Running with Scissors!!! Augusten Burroughs ftw :3
  • mommajolynn
    mommajolynn Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    A song of ice and fire by George R R Martin. Omfg I love LOVE that series!!

Also PC cast is awesome, Julie kagawa, Jessica Sorensen, Mercedes Lackey (she does books based off fairy tales. Look into Fire Rose. All time FAVE), Michael Grant, Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher,

Oh gosh I could go on and on for hours....
  • teacupowl
    teacupowl Posts: 104
    Options
    Anything that Paulo Coehlo has touched is amazing! He's very inspirational.

Recently read the Game of Thrones books.

Love the show, haven't felt brave enough to tackle the books. I got sucked into the "Wheel of Time" series in high school, and I just don't know if I'm mentally prepared for another super long fantasy series. The first one is sitting on my shelf waiting to be read, though!