• sisierra
    sisierra Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Classics:

Watership Down
    Tailchaster's Song
    Flowers for Algernon

* all of which should come with a box of tissues*

me no likely the sad books! but since we're talking about them: Marley and Me (like the movie) absolute tear jerker! and My Sister's Keeper (the book is MUCH better than the movie)
  • sisierra
    Options
    Another great series (to me) are the Clan of the Cave Bears series by Jane Auel.

I loved those books, but felt the last two were not as good as the first four.
    (and it's Jean M. Auel, by the way, but I know exactly who you mean!)

will DEFINITELY check this out! are they weres?
  • grayprae
    grayprae Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Ender's Game is an awesome read my husband made me read it and it was great. My most favorite book is The Princess Bride the abridged version b y William Goldman if you like the movie you will love the this book.
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Hmm paranormal romance... I think I know something you might like. If you can read german, check out Das Parfum (Perfume). There's probably an english translation out there.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh I am a HUGE book nerd! Best gift I ever got was my Nook, so now I can read any book I want in seconds. I'm on the fourth book of the Game of Thrones trilogy and am loving it. Love Shakespeare. Loved The Night Circus, The Hunger Games, anything by Neil Gaiman, the Iron Knight series, Divergent, 1Q84, The Hedgewitch Queen, anything by Toni Morrison or Octavia Butler, Wench, The Winter Sea, The Magicians...

Uh oh...I really could go on and on and on...lmao!!
  • KyliAnnHobson
    KyliAnnHobson Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    My absolute favorite book is The History of Love by Nicole Krauss. It's the most beautifully written book I've ever read. I've actually read it six times!

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak is also excellent!

I recently read The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein and really enjoyed it!

Right now I'm re-reading Stephen King's Dark Tower Series before I read the new one in the series, The Wind Through the Keyhole.

I love books!!! :happy:
  • seal57
    seal57 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Are you paper books or ebooks?....I have a kindle and simply love it....

I love reading and will read anything...But there are times I will start a book but can't get into it so I add it to my couldn't finish folder.....
  • sisierra
    Options
    I read mostly nonfiction these days. I like european history. I even learned a couple of ancient languages just so I could read the primary sources for myself. That took a little while.

Fascinating! Which languages?

I'm partial to East Asian, Roman and Egyptian history myself. So I've read a couple of books about China and Japan and have seen a good number of specials about them all

Niiiice! I took Latin in high school for 4 years, sadly I've forgotten a good deal of it. I would love to learn Ancient Greek and Gaelic though
    Latin and Old English (Anglo-Saxon)
  • Bridge_CG
    Bridge_CG Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Fellow book nerd here! Not much for romance but I do like Shakespeare :). And horror

I love Shakespeare!!!!!!!!!! Have you read Truman Capote's In Cold Blood?

Yep, had to read it for an English class back in high school. It was really good!!

Sisierra, Dracula was another book I had to read for school, lol. Also very good! I love vamps and weres and stuff like that. I'm in the process of writing my own series right now :3

I loved Dracula!!! I read In Cold Blood on my own, but... I loved it, I really adore Truman Capote. I'm looking at graduate schools in London so I can get my MBA in Shakespeare and American Literature!!! Haha
  • aki7chien
    aki7chien Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Classics:

Watership Down
    Tailchaster's Song
    Flowers for Algernon

me no likely the sad books! but since we're talking about them: Marley and Me (like the movie) absolute tear jerker! and My Sister's Keeper (the book is MUCH better than the movie)

Agreed on both. My daughter duped me into reading The Boy in Striped Pajamas. I brought it along on a short vacation my husband and I took. I saved it for the car ride home. It was a short read and aprox. hour down the highway I was bawling. Hubby was like, really? LOL

//Angela's Ashes has the same effect btw ;-)
  • sisierra
    Options
    Are you paper books or ebooks?....I have a kindle and simply love it....

I love reading and will read anything...But there are times I will start a book but can't get into it so I add it to my couldn't finish folder.....

BOTH!! I love my kindle, especially on a cardio when I'm stuck on an elliptical it helps me ignore the pain in my quads lol. Have you tried Scribd.com? it is my LIFE! lol
  • Bridge_CG
    Bridge_CG Posts: 435 Member
    Options

In Cold Blood was definitely a great book, although it stayed with me longer than I wanted it to.

I have to agree with this. I had nightmares for months.
  • MsFitnFabulous
    MsFitnFabulous Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I read a lot of romance and Christian fiction, oxymoron I know lol!! More often than not I'm usually home with a book and perfectly content.

Some of my favorite authors are Rochelle Alers, Shirley Hailstock, Nikita Lynette Nichols, Vanessa Davis Griggs, Carl Weber, and JJ Murray to name a few.....
  • grayprae
    grayprae Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm re-reading Stephen King's Dark Tower Series before I read the new one in the series, The Wind Through the Keyhole.

I loved the Dark tower series it took me a long time to read it b/c I went back and read a few of the other books that he references a lot like Salem's Lot and a few others but it was a great series.
  • sisierra
    Options
    Fellow book nerd here! Not much for romance but I do like Shakespeare :). And horror

I love Shakespeare!!!!!!!!!! Have you read Truman Capote's In Cold Blood?

Yep, had to read it for an English class back in high school. It was really good!!

Sisierra, Dracula was another book I had to read for school, lol. Also very good! I love vamps and weres and stuff like that. I'm in the process of writing my own series right now :3

I loved Dracula!!! I read In Cold Blood on my own, but... I loved it, I really adore Truman Capote. I'm looking at graduate schools in London so I can get my MBA in Shakespeare and American Literature!!! Haha

I really want to read MacBeth but the Old English is scaring me off lol
  • anabell31
    anabell31 Posts: 268
    Options
    I took a Shakespeare class last semester and my teacher went into great depth about King Lear. I must say it's one of my favorites now.
  • angeliqueib
    angeliqueib Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I second the recommendation for the Fever series by Karen Marie Moning. It was fantastic! The Sookie Stackhouse series is also good fun. Anything by Anne Bishop, especially the Black Jewels Trilogy is good IMO. I don't think of myself as a romance reader, but I would say that series would fall in the paranormal-ish romance range.
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I'm so excited by this thread... I have a huge list of books to read and now i'm finding more to add! There's always SOMETHING new out there (or old... I love the classics as well :smile: )

share!!

I'm a sucker for Jane Austen. It's terrible, but I can reread "Pride and Prejudice" over and over and over again! I've read all of her books at least once, and most of her books multiple times! "The Great Gatsby" might be one of my favorite classics - I can't wait for the movie this year!

I must be the only person on this thread who hates Shakespeare. I love the storylines - but I have a hard time reading the literature!

I also like paranormal romance. Have you read HP Mallory? Really easy reads, but really entertaining. Other good ones I've read are by Barbra Annino and Rose Pressey. I also just read the Gemma Doyle series by Libba Bray - it's a YA series, but soooo good. And has anyone read Margaret Atwood?? Her books are awesome!

I could go on and on and on about my favorite books :) I don't think I have a favorite. There's too many good ones!

Right now I'm reading "The Dovekeepers", which is pretty awesome. I'm readying "Fifty Shades of Grey" next, at my mom's recommendation.
  • HMM163
    HMM163 Posts: 24
    Options
    I also read romance. Some more authors for you would be Dani Harper, Alyssa Day, Lynsay Sands, Jean Johnson, Kerrelyn Sparks. I read paperbacks, hard backs and I have the simple nook.
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Classics:

Watership Down
    Tailchaster's Song
    Flowers for Algernon

Totally agree - I hate how they changed the end in the movie. WTF??