Dollar Dance

Options

Replies

• GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    It is profoundly inappropriate for guests to have to bring cash to your party, any party, for any reason.
    Good lord -- you'd think that guests were being forced to participate by guards poking them in the back with lances. :huh:
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    It is profoundly inappropriate for guests to have to bring cash to your party, any party, for any reason. Cash in a card as a gift is one thing, waving ones around is another.
    "Profoundly inappropriate" for YOU, maybe. Certainly not in a traditional Mexican wedding reception.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I'm from PA, It's a rare, rare occasion when I go to a wedding that DOESN'T have a dollar dance.

They are perfectly normal to me.
  • rossi02
    rossi02 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I've never been to a wedding that had one.. not sure if I would care either way. However, at one of my cousin's weddings, they had a table set up by the cake table that was supposed to be a money tree. You had to walk right by it for the receiving line. I thought that was beyond tacky. There was even a little framed poem that said something about giving a dollar to help the happy couple start their new life together. There were little pins that you pinned your money to tree with... so not only were you giving them money, you were adding to the decor! :laugh: :indifferent:
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I've never been to a wedding that had one.. not sure if I would care either way. However, at one of my cousin's weddings, they had a table set up by the cake table that was supposed to be a money tree. You had to walk right by it for the receiving line. I thought that was beyond tacky. There was even a little framed poem that said something about giving a dollar to help the happy couple start their new life together. There were little pins that you pinned your money to tree with... so not only were you giving them money, you were adding to the decor! :laugh: :indifferent:
    Hilarious...

A friend of mine got invited to a wedding with this kind of "resigtry"

http://www.honeymoonpromises.com/danielandkate?__utma=1.604590951.1338914729.1338914729.1338914729.1&__utmb=1.2.10.1338914729&__utmc=1&__utmx=-&__utmz=1.1338914729.1.1.utmcsr=google|utmccn=(organic)|utmcmd=organic|utmctr=buy%20our%20honeymoon&__utmv=-&__utmk=132399502
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Hilarious...

http://www.honeymoonpromises.com/danielandkate?__utma=1.604590951.1338914729.1338914729.1338914729.1&__utmb=1.2.10.1338914729&__utmc=1&__utmx=-&__utmz=1.1338914729.1.1.utmcsr=google|utmccn=(organic)|utmcmd=organic|utmctr=buy%20our%20honeymoon&__utmv=-&__utmk=132399502

I know someone who got invited to a wedding that literally the reception card said it was a money back wedding, no gifts just cash wanted.
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Hilarious...

And the thing about most of those types of registries that people don't understand is that they aren't booking any excursions - they are selecting one, but the bride and groom at the end (usually) just get the cash equivalent of what you "purchased" (minus the cut of the website) and they can choose to spend it on what you selected (most do, but not all) or not. So, in all honesty - you're better off giving them cash with a note to "spend it on their honeymoon" than going through one of these websites where 10% (or whatever) of what you gave the happy couple goes to the company to "faciliated" their list.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    It is profoundly inappropriate for guests to have to bring cash to your party, any party, for any reason.
    Good lord -- you'd think that guests were being forced to participate by guards poking them in the back with lances. :huh:

I always have cash to tip the bartenders.
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    But it's the bride and groom's job to make sure that each guest gets a little one-on-one time (with at least one of them) throughout the night. It is fundamentally flawed to ask the guests to purchase said time.

i totally disagree with this. yes, i invited you to my wedding, but the purpose of my wedding is to celebrate and enjoy the love and committment that my fiance and i have for each other. i am not going to spend majority of the evening that i had spent 2 years planning for go to waste by making sure i spend some one-on-one time with every single guest. the wedding is about the bride and groom. any guest should feel honored that they were even invited to the wedding to celebrate with the couple.

Um - WHAT? Why would you even invite guests if it's somehow a waste of your time to actually spend time with them? Seriously? You're not going to WASTE your wedding spending time with your guests? So, your guests are just there to observe you enjoying you? I don't get that at all!

considering that the majority of weddings have 150+ guests invited, yes i do find it a waste to have my focus on spending one-on-one time with them rather than one-on-one time with my fiance that day. the day is supposed to be all about the bride and groom, hence it being called a wedding. the guests are there to observe the bride and groom enjoy each others company and love, AND celebrate their own happiness for the couple. like someone else said during this thread, there are other ways to spend time with the bride and groom before/during/after the wedding.

To each their own, I guess. My wedding had 144 guests and my husband and I both felt it was very important to spend time with the people who were important enough to us to be invited to share such a special day with us. He and I have a lifetime to spend together, and while we spent much time together on our wedding day, we also spent much time apart seeing to and celebrating with our guests. I certainly didn't feel like anyone was there to observe me in any way once the ceremony was over. They were there to celebrate with me, not near me. :-)

That said - I hope your wedding goes wonderfully! It is such a joyous time in life. Don't sweat the small stuff (or even the big stuff) cause it's really just about the end result when all is said and done. Enjoy it - it goes by much faster than you can imagine.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Options
    And the thing about most of those types of registries that people don't understand is that they aren't booking any excursions - they are selecting one, but the bride and groom at the end (usually) just get the cash equivalent of what you "purchased" (minus the cut of the website) and they can choose to spend it on what you selected (most do, but not all) or not. So, in all honesty - you're better off giving them cash with a note to "spend it on their honeymoon" than going through one of these websites where 10% (or whatever) of what you gave the happy couple goes to the company to "faciliated" their list.

I agree completely. I give cash for the wedding gift about 99% of the time anyway, and only buy an actual registry item for a wedding shower.
  • jgondor
    jgondor Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    But it's the bride and groom's job to make sure that each guest gets a little one-on-one time (with at least one of them) throughout the night. It is fundamentally flawed to ask the guests to purchase said time.

i totally disagree with this. yes, i invited you to my wedding, but the purpose of my wedding is to celebrate and enjoy the love and committment that my fiance and i have for each other. i am not going to spend majority of the evening that i had spent 2 years planning for go to waste by making sure i spend some one-on-one time with every single guest. the wedding is about the bride and groom. any guest should feel honored that they were even invited to the wedding to celebrate with the couple.

Um - WHAT? Why would you even invite guests if it's somehow a waste of your time to actually spend time with them? Seriously? You're not going to WASTE your wedding spending time with your guests? So, your guests are just there to observe you enjoying you? I don't get that at all!

considering that the majority of weddings have 150+ guests invited, yes i do find it a waste to have my focus on spending one-on-one time with them rather than one-on-one time with my fiance that day. the day is supposed to be all about the bride and groom, hence it being called a wedding. the guests are there to observe the bride and groom enjoy each others company and love, AND celebrate their own happiness for the couple. like someone else said during this thread, there are other ways to spend time with the bride and groom before/during/after the wedding.

To each their own, I guess. My wedding had 144 guests and my husband and I both felt it was very important to spend time with the people who were important enough to us to be invited to share such a special day with us. He and I have a lifetime to spend together, and while we spent much time together on our wedding day, we also spent much time apart seeing to and celebrating with our guests. I certainly didn't feel like anyone was there to observe me in any way once the ceremony was over. They were there to celebrate with me, not near me. :-)

That said - I hope your wedding goes wonderfully! It is such a joyous time in life. Don't sweat the small stuff (or even the big stuff) cause it's really just about the end result when all is said and done. Enjoy it - it goes by much faster than you can imagine.

im glad that we can agree to disagree :smile:. and thank you, i am really looking forward to marrying the love of my life. :heart:
  • LiddyBit
    LiddyBit Posts: 447 Member
    Options

I always have cash to tip the bartenders.

The host of the reception should tip the bartenders, not the guests.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Options
    That's a nice idea in theory, but the host is already spending a lot of money to have you there as a guest and although it often includes a gratuity paid to the facility, that money is generally used by the venue to pay the wages of the servers, bartenders, cooks, etc. Anyone who has ever worked in the service industry will tip bartenders at a wedding. You'd be amazed at what they I had put up with as a bartender when it comes to people drinking in an open bar situation (I could write a book!)
  • buffybabe
    buffybabe Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I live in Michigan, so I have been to many weddings that have them. That being said, I am getting married in September and will definitely NOT be having one, because I do think they are tacky.
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I think it is a big waste of time and people who don't want to do the dollar dance get bored.
  • LiddyBit
    LiddyBit Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    That's a nice idea in theory, but the host is already spending a lot of money to have you as a guest there and although it often includes a gratuity paid to the facility, that money is generally used by the venue to pay the wages of the servers, bartenders, cooks, etc. Anyone who has ever worked in the service industry will tip bartenders at a wedding. You'd be amazed at what they I had put up with as a bartender when it comes to people drinking in an open bar situation (I could write a book!)

The host should have the reception he or she can afford to pay for. Guests are entitled to be treated as such, and should not have to pay for their attendance at your party in any way. YOU invited THEM.

I know that there is gratuity paid to the facility, the host should also tip the servers separately.
  • suzzann666
    suzzann666 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    thought this was gonna be a stripper thread

right!!
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    That's a nice idea in theory, but the host is already spending a lot of money to have you as a guest there and although it often includes a gratuity paid to the facility, that money is generally used by the venue to pay the wages of the servers, bartenders, cooks, etc. Anyone who has ever worked in the service industry will tip bartenders at a wedding. You'd be amazed at what they I had put up with as a bartender when it comes to people drinking in an open bar situation (I could write a book!)
    The host should have the reception he or she can afford to pay for. Guests are entitled to be treated as such, and should not have to pay for their attendance at your party in any way. YOU invited THEM.

I know that there is gratuity paid to the facility, the host should also tip the servers separately.
    In the case of a Mexican wedding, the mindset is that the wedding is a community effort. Family and friends volunteer to be "padrinos" and pay for most of the wedding.

Between everyone, it all comes together, when it couldn't otherwise. When the beer runs out, folks pool money and run for another keg. No sense of entitlement, or smugness. No chips on the shoulder. Everyone there to celebrate. It's a beautiful thing.
  • futuremalestripper
    futuremalestripper Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    thought this was gonna be a stripper thread

right!!

When will someone finally create a good stripper thread with tips for me to learn from?
  • Yes2HealthyAriel
    Yes2HealthyAriel Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    never heard of this being done before, totally new to me. I dont like the idea at all