Dollar Dance

Options
fbmandy55
fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
I posted this in the debate group but didn't get much of a response.

I've been thinking about this tradition at Indiana weddings and wondering if I would include it in my hypothetical future wedding. I'll be going to at least one wedding this summer but haven't attended one about 5-6 years. I'll be interested to see if this wedding includes one. Every wedding I've ever attended has included a dollar dance, including fancy/luxurious weddings..

I realize this is typical in the midwest (I'm in Indiana), but for those who don't know, men line up to dance with the bride for about 30 seconds and women with the groom. The dancer usually donates $1 or more if they feel like it. The cash can be used for spending on the honeymoon or just cash towards their new life together.

Would you feel this is appropriate considering the region or just plain tacky?

Replies

• Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I always thought they were tacky.
  • Salamanda425
    Salamanda425 Posts: 358
    Options
    I'm from Maryland and we had a dollar dance at our wedding. I had never heard of it, but the DJ did it!
  • mtaylor33557
    mtaylor33557 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I've never attended a wedding with a dollar dance. I personally wouldn't have been comfortable with it.. but I guess to each there own. If they don't want to donate a dollar, they don't have to dance.
  • Enkibean
    Enkibean Posts: 56
    Options
    I've seen this done at practically every wedding that I've been to except for one...mine. It is tacky and vulgar. I get that it may be a tradition, but one that should be stamped out.

/end of rant
  • steve1686
    steve1686 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    thought this was gonna be a stripper thread
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    I dont have a problem with them...however a fun twist we have used is when the line starts lingering for the grooms turn the line it "smacks on the *kitten*"...my hunsband's (now ex) booty was black and blue for days and we made a ton of cash!!!!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I was a wedding photographer for many years. This, to me, was one of the stupidest and most boring things, and a party killer, to be honest. It's right up there with chicken dance and the macarena. Where I am, in SoCal, it was mostly popular in the latin community. The interesting thing about photographing weddings, is seeing how all the different cultures handle their traditions. Very interesting. My favorite is probably Greek weddings. They are freaking crazy people. LOL. And, the Armemians are just freaking partiers. OMG. they start early in the morning, and go all night, drinking the whoel time. They are crazy drinking, dancing people. LOL.
  • fbmandy55
    Options
    Wow, I'm surprised at the negative response! This is such a common thing here... I don't think I've ever been to a wedding that DIDN't do this. Regardless of if the wedding cost $3000 or $53000, everyone has fun lining up for a quick dance with the bride and groom.
  • PittShkr
    PittShkr Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options

Make that 2 of us!
  • bmxpop
    bmxpop Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Been to several receptions where this was done. I see no problem with it. A few of them had the added option of giving you a shot to drink before your dance with the bride or groom!!
  • fbmandy55
    Options
    Been to several receptions where this was done. I see no problem with it. A few of them had the added option of giving you a shot to drink before your dance with the bride or groom!!

Yep have heard this too!!
  • DestinySnyder
    Options
    It is really popular where I am from also & my husband and I chose to do it at ours. Bottom line it's your wedding day if you'd like to do it I say go for it!
  • sizzle92
    sizzle92 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I didn't do it (my parents forbid me to for one lol) but I don't have a problem with it. If you don't want to give money, just don't dance!
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options

me too, hahahaha, but no, I've never been to one where they did this, but to each his/her own.
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    If I go to a wedding and they have a dollar dance, or do the chicken dance or the hokey-pokey.....I steal my gift back! :laugh:
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

me too! :devil:
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I dunno, you ask people to come to your wedding, buy you gifts and then ask for MORE money?

I've known people to put out a birdcage/box for people to drop off cards that may/may not contain money.

I live in Seattle, and have never seen this practiced...did see it at a wedding that was held in Montana.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I think they are awesome. Didn't have one though. Also be careful if there is alcohol at your reception because you might end up dancing with some drunk handsy uncles and that is no fun at all! LOL
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    everyone has fun lining up for a quick dance with the bride and groom.

No they dont. It's only certain people. Many people at the reception are bored out of their skulls while this goes on. I see it from a very different perspective. It's not that fun for everyone. Usually, only a small set of people are having fun. The bride and groom think everyone is having a great time. Ha. Not so much. I'd ditch it and do something totally different. Why do the same thing as everyone else. Come up with another way to accomplish the same thing.
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    We have the Dollar Dance down here in South Texas. The Grand March is very popular as well.