Dollar Dance

Options

Replies

• GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Most of the dollar dance receptions here expect both. That air of entitlement is what I object to.
    I try not to get worked up about an extra buck or two for the wedding couple. :drinker:

It's like going to restaurant. Keep the tip in mind when making your order. If you can't afford the tip to go along with the lobster plate, then get the chowder. If you're worried about a dollar or two for the dance, downgrade the wrapped gift a buck or two.
  • histora
    histora Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I am accustomed to the tradition here, and it has nothing to do with a cutural tradition anymore and more to do with a socially-sanctified way to make MORE money.
    Guess what? At most Mexican weddings, the guests understand it's a gift for the couple -- and they're cool with it! Should wrapped gifts be prohibited too? Seriously, get over it.
    But hey, it's cultural, right? So it should always be accepted? I'll be sure to let the young men of the Hmong culture in Minneapolis area that even though their culturally expected practice of kidnapping the bride is illegal, because it is a cultural expectation, so we'll overlook it.

Or adultery. That's actually culturally expected. Or making idle bodily threats...that's actually culturally expected in some areas as well!
    Ah, yes. Let's start comparing voluntarily-given gifts to kidnapping and adultery. :huh:

What is your problem with reading comprehension? I specifically pointed out in one of your previous statements that "in lieu of gifts" makes a large distinction.

Most of the dollar dance receptions here expect both. That air of entitlement is what I object to.
    I try not to get worked up about an extra buck or two for the wedding couple. :drinker:

$600 is not "an extra buck or two", but nice try.
  • cannonsky
    cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I had it at my first wedding because it's a family tradition. lots of dollars in untie (my family is evil). I don't even know if everyone gave a dollar.. I didn't really care... I just thought it was fun to dance with everyone.. and my uncle brought the traditional polka song that my family apparently always uses for it.. so it was kinda cool. At the end they did this thing where all the ladies surrounded me and it was husband's job to get through them to get me... sort of a symbolic thing.. it was fun.. and I was drunk and confused.. makes for hilarious pictures
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    All the ones I've been to have done them but I'm from Michigan lol. The most recent one did an auction of a dance with bride than another for groom. I'd never seen that. My thoughts on it are that people don't have to participate if they don't like it lol.
    I don't think I'll be doing it when I get married though.
  • GasMasterFlash
    Options
    Who the **** gives $600 in a dollar dance?!
  • HotAshMess
    HotAshMess Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I'm in Wisconsin.....when I was younger (think late 80's-early 90's) I remember there being Dollar Dances at my cousin's weddings. But I don't remember seeing any recently...except for one wedding I went to in 2005....and those people did it because they're cheap and tacky.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options

You lost me........
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Who the **** gives $600 in a dollar dance?!

:laugh:
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    dollar DASH - instead of the traditional boring dollar "dance" my cousin and his wife did a dollar DASH where there was upbeat music playing and they had like 2 minutes to "dash" around the entire reception hall getting a dollar or dollars from guests....and they were competing with one another to get the most. I've never seen so many people get into this and have so much fun at a wedding reception. I thought it was very clever and guests kept pulling out more cash to get the bride/groom to dash back over to them. Fun idea!
    that's a generous way to look at!:laugh:
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    dollar DASH - instead of the traditional boring dollar "dance" my cousin and his wife did a dollar DASH where there was upbeat music playing and they had like 2 minutes to "dash" around the entire reception hall getting a dollar or dollars from guests....and they were competing with one another to get the most. I've never seen so many people get into this and have so much fun at a wedding reception. I thought it was very clever and guests kept pulling out more cash to get the bride/groom to dash back over to them. Fun idea!

OMG! That sounds hilarious. I would probably pee my pants laughing if I did that at my wedding!
    HAHA...my wedding dress was very 'busty", so I probably could have made a LOT of money running around in that thing :laugh:
  • heatherk0908
    heatherk0908 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I didn't want to have one AT ALL but my husband did because it was free money :) I didn't know what I'd say to all those people, especially the ones I didnt know well (and I was only 19 at the time and rather shy). I was glad we did it after the fact. It was fun, our maid of honor made the line move through VERY quickly (my orders) and we got a few hundred dollars. It was worth it! I don't think anyone actually put $1 mostly it was lots of $5, $10 and a few $20's!
  • GasMasterFlash
    Options

You lost me........
    Agreed. What kind of Dollar Dance costs $600? Weddings for the Sultan of Brunei?
  • histora
    Options
    The total amount made, not the initial cost. Should be obvious.
  • Briski1411
    Briski1411 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    thought this was gonna be a stripper thread

lol me too total bumer:sad:
  • gr8dayao
    gr8dayao Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    to steal a phrase...listen very nicely and go out and do precicely what you want!

just for fun can you name that tune?
  • GasMasterFlash
    Options
    I referred to the buck or two it costs me to participate. You replied with the $600 amount. Hope you can see where one would wonder what you were referring to.

Are you bothered by the other gifts the couple might receive? Why are you worried about other people's generosity? If you don't want to participate, then don't -- but why criticize other people's desire to do so?
  • histora
    Options
    I referred to the buck or two it costs me to participate. You replied with the $600 amount. Hope you can see where one would wonder what you were referring to.

Are you bothered by the other gifts the couple might receive? Why are you worried about other people's generosity? If you don't want to participate, then don't -- but why criticize other people's desire to do so?

I said it was tacky, in my opinion. I didn't say no one could do it.

I have a problem with institutionalized greed. You do not. Cool with me.

I am not worried about generosity, I am saddened by what people will do to access it.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Does he slip the dollar into my garter?
  • GasMasterFlash
    Options
    I have a problem with institutionalized greed. You do not. Cool with me.

I am not worried about generosity, I am saddened by what people will do to access it.
    "Institutionalized greed"? That might be your perception, but how can you know what is in other people's hearts? There are still plenty of folks out there that enjoy giving gifts freely, and manage to have fun at weddings without getting worked up over something so petty. Glad I'm one of them. :drinker:
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Does he slip the dollar into my garter?

cleavage.