Dollar Dance

Options

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of this. Not sure I would do it. I think it would be awkward to dance with my cousin or to dance with my best friend's husband. That is just me though.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I'm from the Midwest and have seen it done, but did not do it at own because I do find it to be tacky.

I guess it depends on the type of wedding you have though. Mine was pretty elegant and most of the guests gave a minimum $100 gift (per couple), many a lot more. I felt like it would have been inappropriate under those circumstances.

Note..I was also a banquet-hall bartender for probably way too many years, so for me..MOST of the traditional events, dances and music was very old and tired and went on my 'not gonna happen" list, so maybe I'm a little more jaded....
  • mommy2AR
    mommy2AR Posts: 2,802 Member
    Options
    thought this was gonna be a stripper thread

Yep I thought the same thing

I have seen them done as well as not done... i guess it all depends on how you and the groom feel
  • histora
    histora Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I am accustomed to the tradition here, and it has nothing to do with a cutural tradition anymore and more to do with a socially-sanctified way to make MORE money.

I think this goes deeper into the extravagance and display of wealth that weddings have become today. One should not aspire to rake in the money at a reception to cover the cost of the wedding. If the wedding couldn't be afforded, then it shouldn't have been thrown in that manner.

But hey, it's cultural, right? So it should always be accepted? I'll be sure to let the young men of the Hmong culture in Minneapolis area that even though their culturally expected practice of kidnapping the bride is illegal, because it is a cultural expectation, so we'll overlook it.

Or adultery. That's actually culturally expected. Or making idle bodily threats...that's actually culturally expected in some areas as well!
    Wow. Judgmental much? You okay?

I'm fine, thank you.

Oh, wait. Let me guess...you don't actually care, right?
  • mSquared77
    mSquared77 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    dollar DASH - instead of the traditional boring dollar "dance" my cousin and his wife did a dollar DASH where there was upbeat music playing and they had like 2 minutes to "dash" around the entire reception hall getting a dollar or dollars from guests....and they were competing with one another to get the most. I've never seen so many people get into this and have so much fun at a wedding reception. I thought it was very clever and guests kept pulling out more cash to get the bride/groom to dash back over to them. Fun idea!
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I didn't think it was necessary to give them more money, so I DID NOT PARTICIPATE,
    And no one forced you and no one called you tacky for not participating.
    I found out later they used the money all on booger sugar.
    Well, if that's the kind of people they are, they could have returned all their gifts and done the same.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I think it's your wedding so do whatever you want! If you think it's fun, chances are your friends and guests will to. The dollar dance is meant to be fun, and anyone that says otherwise probably just has a stick up their butt.
  • macpatti
    Options
    I'm fine, thank you.Oh, wait. Let me guess...you don't actually care, right?
    No, I do care. You seem awfully worked up about the dollar dance at a wedding that isn't even yours. Comparing it to kidnapping and bodily threats just seems a bit much, so I was wondering if you were okay.
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    omg leave it to MFP forums to get pissy over such a informal question.

Eat a cookie, you are probably starving.
  • histora
    Options
    I'm fine, thank you.Oh, wait. Let me guess...you don't actually care, right?
    No, I do care. You seem awfully worked up about the dollar dance at a wedding that isn't even yours. Comparing it to kidnapping and bodily threats just seems a bit much, so I was wondering if you were okay.

I was comparing the "Well, it is cultural, so its okay" idea.

I can debate an idea on the internet with strangers just fine without taking it personally. In fact, I'm having a conversation on a different site that is hilarious and enjoying it as well.

Can you?
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    I am accustomed to the tradition here, and it has nothing to do with a cutural tradition anymore and more to do with a socially-sanctified way to make MORE money.
    Guess what? At most Mexican weddings, the guests understand it's a gift for the couple -- and they're cool with it! Should wrapped gifts be prohibited too? Seriously, get over it.
    But hey, it's cultural, right? So it should always be accepted? I'll be sure to let the young men of the Hmong culture in Minneapolis area that even though their culturally expected practice of kidnapping the bride is illegal, because it is a cultural expectation, so we'll overlook it.

Or adultery. That's actually culturally expected. Or making idle bodily threats...that's actually culturally expected in some areas as well!
    Ah, yes. Let's start comparing voluntarily-given gifts to kidnapping and adultery. :huh:
  • histora
    Options
    I think it's your wedding so do whatever you want! If you think it's fun, chances are your friends and guests will to. The dollar dance is meant to be fun, and anyone that says otherwise probably just has a stick up their butt.

The OP isn't even engaged. She was just curious.
  • macpatti
    Options
    I can debate an idea on the internet with strangers just fine without taking it personally. In fact, I'm having a conversation on a different site that is hilarious and enjoying it as well.
    Can you?
    Well, I'm not on mulitple internet sites looking for debates all day, but I am in the debate group on MFP. We debate frequently without it getting personal.
  • histora
    Options
    Guess what? At most Mexican weddings, the guests understand it's a gift for the couple -- and they're cool with it! Should wrapped gifts be prohibited too? Seriously, get over it.

Ah, yes. Let's start comparing voluntarily-given gifts to kidnapping and adultery. :huh:

What is your problem with reading comprehension? I specifically pointed out in one of your previous statements that "in lieu of gifts" makes a large distinction.

Most of the dollar dance receptions here expect both. That air of entitlement is what I object to.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    I cannot stand people who say "It's tradition" because, no it isn't. For people that it is NOT a tradition for, it makes for a very uncomfortable situation.
    The wedding that I went to where they had it, it was the first time I experienced it, We already gave the couple (who had been living together for 5 years) a $100 wedding gift, drove 1000 miles to the wedding destination, and paid over $250/night for 3 nights at the resort the wedding was held at. At that time, the cost of going to the wedding was a huge stretch money wise.
    We spent so much money getting to the wedding and on the gift, I didn't think it was necessary to give them more money, so I DID NOT PARTICIPATE, I found out later they used the money all on booger sugar.

Great way to support the couple on their 'new life'!
    Your feeling of discomfort was self-generated. Were you looked down upon for not participating? Did somebody criticize yo for not participating? If so, then that is a problem with the person doing the criticizing -- not the tradition itself.
  • Beatlegirl66
    Beatlegirl66 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have only read the first 3 pages of this, but I wanted to chime in. All of the wedding I have been to that have had a dance reception (many people are like me and went for just a cake reception) have had a dollar dance. I usually dance with both the bride and the groom (if I know both of them) and it gives a really nice chance to chat a bit with them and wish them well.

I have been to weddings where all money from the dollar dance was donated to a charity. I also have been to them where people who didn't have cash on them still were more than welcome to dance.

I think it is a fun time.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    dollar DASH - instead of the traditional boring dollar "dance" my cousin and his wife did a dollar DASH where there was upbeat music playing and they had like 2 minutes to "dash" around the entire reception hall getting a dollar or dollars from guests....and they were competing with one another to get the most. I've never seen so many people get into this and have so much fun at a wedding reception. I thought it was very clever and guests kept pulling out more cash to get the bride/groom to dash back over to them. Fun idea!

OMG! That sounds hilarious. I would probably pee my pants laughing if I did that at my wedding!
  • DestinySnyder
    Options

I think this goes deeper into the extravagance and display of wealth that weddings have become today. One should not aspire to rake in the money at a reception to cover the cost of the wedding. If the wedding couldn't be afforded, then it shouldn't have been thrown in that manner.

Are you really comparing a dollar dance too traditions of kidnapping,adultery & bodily threats :huh:

"I am accustomed to the tradition here, and it has nothing to do with a cutural tradition anymore and more to do with a socially-sanctified way to make MORE money." <--- This statement is pretty ignorant, for many families it is a cultural tradition.
  • histora
    Options
    Can you?
    Well, I'm not on mulitple internet sites looking for debates all day, but I am in the debate group on MFP. We debate frequently without it getting personal.

I'm not sure where I "got personal" but okay.
    The other conversation I am having has nothing to do with debate, just friends laughing with each other.
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I love it, especially the ones where you get a shot AND a dance in exchange for the dollar. Frickin' awesome!