Dollar Dance

Options

Replies

• PegasusDeb
    PegasusDeb Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I always thought they were tacky.

My wife and I always thought they were tacky too, so we didn't do one.

We realized after the fact that it's not about the dollars, it's about giving everyone you've invited a chance to have a private minute with you.

We really wish we had done it, looking back. Maybe just done it and not taken dollars or done dollars for the Humane Society or something.

Ohhhh... I like that idea about the Humane Society! That's kinda cool. I was in a wedding last summer & she did not have one, she thought it was tacky, but yet did the flippin' chicken dance, which I think is God-awful. But hey it wasn't my wedding. I think the dollar dance is kinda fun, like someone else posted it gives people a litlle one on one time, which you would not normally get. If peeps don't want to contribute, then don't! It's a flippin' buck, you blow that on a coffee!
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Does he slip the dollar into my garter?
    Now THAT would be entertaining!
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    The total amount made, not the initial cost. Should be obvious.
    I referred to the buck or two it costs me to participate. You replied with the $600 amount. Hope you can see where one would wonder what you were referring to.

Are you bothered by the other gifts the couple might receive? Why are you worried about other people's generosity? If you don't want to participate, then don't -- but why criticize other people's desire to do so?

I said it was tacky, in my opinion. I didn't say no one could do it.

I have a problem with institutionalized greed. You do not. Cool with me.

I am not worried about generosity, I am saddened by what people will do to access it.

How do you feel about the cake? Sneaky way of sabotaging weight loss?
  • histora
    histora Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Well that's a typical turn...don't like the debate, then turn it to the hyperbole.

Have a great night, y'all. :)
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Charity is one thing... Greed is another :)
    You're better off just saying you don't understand the tradition than calling it greed. It is a very important part of a Mexican wedding reception.

I understand the tradition but i'm really not sure how an indiana wedding turned into a mexican wedding. I'm not implying every person is greedy but i've been to my fair share of weddings and most couples see this as a way to make a few extra $$.
  • GasMasterFlash
    Options
    Charity is one thing... Greed is another :)
    You're better off just saying you don't understand the tradition than calling it greed. It is a very important part of a Mexican wedding reception.
    I understand the tradition but i'm really not sure how an indiana wedding turned into a mexican wedding.
    Are they not letting Mexicans into Indiana again? Damn... Where Mexicans hold the exclusive patent to the practice, no other cultures are allowed to practice it.

:huh:
    I'm not implying every person is greedy but i've been to my fair share of weddings and most couples see this as a way to make a few extra $$.
    When did raking in a few gifts and/or money begin to be frowned upon? Good grief.
  • GasMasterFlash
    Options
    Well that's a typical turn...don't like the debate, then turn it to the hyperbole.
    But hey, it's cultural, right? So it should always be accepted? I'll be sure to let the young men of the Hmong culture in Minneapolis area that even though their culturally expected practice of kidnapping the bride is illegal, because it is a cultural expectation, so we'll overlook it.

Or adultery. That's actually culturally expected. Or making idle bodily threats...that's actually culturally expected in some areas as well!
    Ahem...
  • LiddyBit
    LiddyBit Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Dollar dances are tacky regardless of region or culture, sorry.
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: we do them, i dont feel that they are tacky, and it saves on toasters, and crap you dont need, and are just going to reture for cash anyway
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I think it's a cute way to get a moment alone with the bride or groom. If they want, they could donate the money to a charity. It's not tacky at all. And if anyone thinks it is, they're a little snotty lol.
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the dollar dance, tacky or not ;-p Just go with what's "you".
  • Adj_White
    Adj_White Posts: 5
    Options
    I have always thought that the Dollar Dance is a mood killer. They always seem to go on FOR-EV-ER!
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Big thumbs down on the dollar dance.

We also skipped the bouquet toss, garter toss, seating the wedding party at a head table (we sat with our parents and the minister and let the wedding party sit with whomever they pleased), and smashing cake into each others faces.

We tried very hard to make sure that we visited with everyone, either in the receiving line, at the reception before dinner, or during dessert.

Friends tell us is the most fun they ever had at a wedding.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I've been to weddings before with the dollar dance. Personally I'm not a fan of them. Most people are already giving you gifts, and most of the time people already have established households so have a lot of things, I just think asking for one more dollar is kind of tacky. My aunt and uncle did a dollar dance, but they handed out dollar bills with the date of their wedding and their picture in the center and they gave it to you if you went and danced with them. I thought that was cute. But otherwise, I just think it's a money grab.
  • StarvingDiva
    Options
    I was a wedding photographer for many years. This, to me, was one of the stupidest and most boring things, and a party killer, to be honest. It's right up there with chicken dance and the macarena. Where I am, in SoCal, it was mostly popular in the latin community. The interesting thing about photographing weddings, is seeing how all the different cultures handle their traditions. Very interesting. My favorite is probably Greek weddings. They are freaking crazy people. LOL. And, the Armemians are just freaking partiers. OMG. they start early in the morning, and go all night, drinking the whoel time. They are crazy drinking, dancing people. LOL.

I agree, I hate the macarena, the electric slide and the chicken dance.

Us Greeks do like to party!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm in Northeast Pennsylvania, and have never been to a wedding around here without a dollar dance. Around here, the tradition is that everyone dances with the bride, then makes a circle around her that the groom has to break through to carry his new bride away. I'm not a huge fan, because it does get really boring at a bigger wedding, but I'm not against it enough to call it tacky.

Weddings are highly personal and should reflect what the bride and groom want. If you like the dollar dance and want the dollar dance, or the funky chicken, or the macarena, or the electric slide, have the wedding YOU want. I think it's tacky to call traditions you don't like tacky. :laugh:
  • LiddyBit
    LiddyBit Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I think it's tacky to call traditions you don't like tacky. :laugh:

Cultural relativity can't excuse everything.
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I've never seen a dollar dance at any wedding I have been to, I don't think anyone does them around here. Do what you want to do at your wedding, don't pay attention to judgemental jerks calling it tacky.
  • GasMasterFlash
    Options
    I think it's tacky to call traditions you don't like tacky. :laugh:
    Cultural relativity can't excuse everything.
    So, it's all relative... unless you disapprove. Gotcha.
  • StarvingDiva
    Options
    The question was whether or not we felt it was tacky or not, so why get pissed if someone actually thinks it's tacky. I'm pretty sure none of us are coming to your hypothetical wedding, so why get upset about it.