Paleo diet

Options

Replies

• chrystee
    chrystee Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I originally had pretty substantial issues with the paleo diet. Not because of the diet itself, but because of how many folks I knew or spoke with on it had a ridiculous superiority complex that was obnoxious as hell. I recognize that if you're following a diet paradigm you should be expected to think it's the best (otherwise why not do the one that's better?) but you don't have to be a ***** about it.

Since then I've met more than a few more moderate practicioners. They see it as a guideline or an ideal to work towards, but aren't extremist in their following of the diet, or in pushing said diet on others.

I think there are some very good things about Paleo. Eating lots of protein and fat and fibrous vegetables can really help with satiety. Eating nutrient dense foods is also a very good thing. I don't personally think that grains are the debil, but if you don't want to eat them more power to you.

I call my approach 90% paleo.. which helps me with the all or nothing attitude.. If I feel like I have to "behave" 100%, I will fail, and then binge.

I know what works for me.. and eating breads, grains, etc doesn't. It is all about your own body.. Some people do fine with processed foods, I say do what works.
  • mmarcy7
    mmarcy7 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    If you eat paleo and feel better, than eat that way. If you eat vegan and feel better than eat that way. If you follow the food pyramid and feel great than stick with it. I don't know why people get all uppity about different diets. I gave up grains to try to clear up a rash I had on my legs for almost 2 years. Six weeks later it was totally gone. I "cheated" by eating some chocolate chip cookies and feel like total crap today. I think I will stick with paleo. I couldn't care less if anyone else eats that way, but if I hear someone complaining about health problems, I tell them about the diet in case it's something they want to look into. It's their choice if they want to try it or not. Yes, there are people with superiority complexes about Paleo/Vegetarian/Vegan whatever. I do what feels right for me.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    If you eat paleo and feel better, than eat that way. If you eat vegan and feel better than eat that way. If you follow the food pyramid and feel great than stick with it. I don't know why people get all uppity about different diets. I gave up grains to try to clear up a rash I had on my legs for almost 2 years. Six weeks later it was totally gone. I "cheated" by eating some chocolate chip cookies and feel like total crap today. I think I will stick with paleo. I couldn't care less if anyone else eats that way, but if I hear someone complaining about health problems, I tell them about the diet in case it's something they want to look into. It's their choice if they want to try it or not. Yes, there are people with superiority complexes about Paleo/Vegetarian/Vegan whatever. I do what feels right for me.

And I have much more respect for folks with this outlook than with the other type you had mentioned. Same deal with religion. NOT true with college football interestingly enough, since if you don't like Penn State...well you can suck a big fat one.
  • weathergirl320
    Options

And I have much more respect for folks with this outlook than with the other type you had mentioned. Same deal with religion. NOT true with college football interestingly enough, since if you don't like Penn State...well you can suck a big fat one.

Right on!!!!! WE ARE!!!!!!
  • BigPapaGato
    BigPapaGato Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I originally had pretty substantial issues with the paleo diet. Not because of the diet itself, but because of how many folks I knew or spoke with on it had a ridiculous superiority complex that was obnoxious as hell. I recognize that if you're following a diet paradigm you should be expected to think it's the best (otherwise why not do the one that's better?) but you don't have to be a ***** about it.

Since then I've met more than a few more moderate practicioners. They see it as a guideline or an ideal to work towards, but aren't extremist in their following of the diet, or in pushing said diet on others.

I think there are some very good things about Paleo. Eating lots of protein and fat and fibrous vegetables can really help with satiety. Eating nutrient dense foods is also a very good thing. I don't personally think that grains are the debil, but if you don't want to eat them more power to you.

Great post, I share your view
  • Meadows18
    Meadows18 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I'm seriously contemplating eating the way the Paleo diet recommends. It just seems more healthier. What I am trying to do is try it for one month and see how my body reacts. Please advise on exactly what I can eat and not eat. I'm not quite sure if I can do it 100%.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    I'm seriously contemplating eating the way the Paleo diet recommends. It just seems more healthier. What I am trying to do is try it for one month and see how my body reacts. Please advise on exactly what I can eat and not eat. I'm not quite sure if I can do it 100%.

There's a paleo group on here that could probably help you out.
  • mcorleone
    mcorleone Posts: 2
    Options
    I’ve been following the Paleo/Primal lifestyle for the past few months and have been seeing a great deal of success. Please read about my story and the method I followed here: http://mikeshonestreviews.com/paleoprimal-diet-review
  • straightjacketjacob
    Options
    It made me much leaner and more anobolic.

?

This is about like saying made me much faster when laying down.

Anabolic refers to the metabolic process that is characterized by molecular growth, such as the increase of muscle mass. Thus, it means "muscle-building" in most common bodybuilding contexts.
    Leaner meaning Thin, healthily so; having no superfluous fat.
    So what was your question am I fast while laying down? Yes, because I am gaining muscle mass while losing body fat making me very fast and powerful.
  • aquasw16
    aquasw16 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    THIS!
    Dairy is paleo in your lifestyle if YOUR body is tolerant to it. Raw dairy is preferred because the good bacteria is in it which gets destroyed by the homogenization and pasteurization process.

This "fact" about pasteurization is blatantly not true. In the past year there has been a severe increase in disease outbreak and deaths because of the increased consumption of raw milk.

Types of bacteria that are in raw milk can include Brucella, Campylobacter, Listeria, Mycobacterium bovis, Salmonella, Shiga toxin-producing E. coli, Shigella, Streptococcus pyogenes, and Yersinia enterocolitica. NONE of these are good bacteria!

Reference - http://www.cdc.gov/foodsafety/rawmilk/raw-milk-questions-and-answers.html
    http://yourlife.usatoday.com/fitness-food/safety/story/2012-02-21/Raw-milk-causes-most-illnesses-from-dairy/53196680/1 (there is peer reviewed journal reference from EID in that story)
  • aquasw16
    aquasw16 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I really just don't see how eating 50% fat can be healthy. I bet their cholesterol is sky high.
    The husband and I have been talking about it for 6 months, just started last week while kids were out of town. Doing it for weight control, but even moreso for health benefits. Makes a lot of sense. Would love to see posts on this subject. What we've read goes against lean meats. 50% fat, 30% protein, 20% carbs. MFP is an excellent way to keep track. We have found that although we are not concerned about calories, we are both under or at calorie counts, and stay very satisfied. No dairy for us, except cheese, haven't been able to give it up. Looking for a birthday cake recipe for the husband now.
  • linbert57
    linbert57 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I've recently cut wheat and other grains from my diet (just about one month ago). I do feel so much better, but I do still eat dairy. I eat more veggies, nuts and cheeses and try to limit fruit because of the sugar.
  • tiffanycf3
    Options
    Remember people, most fad diets are just that...fads. Eat less. Do more. Go hard.

There is nothing faddy about eating lots of vegetables, meat, fish, eggs fruit. Its what humans are meant to eat - not processed grass seeds.

What make you think we weren't "meant to eat" grain.

Paleotarded propaganda?

Mercader J. Mozambican grass seed consumption during the middle stone age. Science. (2009) 326(5960):1680-3.

The role of starchy plants in early hominin diets and when the culinary processing of starches began have been difficult to track archaeologically. Seed collecting is conventionally perceived to have been an irrelevant activity among the Pleistocene foragers of southern Africa, on the grounds of both technological difficulty in the processing of grains and the belief that roots, fruits, and nuts, not cereals, were the basis for subsistence for the past 100,000 years and further back in time. A large assemblage of starch granules has been retrieved from the surfaces of Middle Stone Age stone tools from Mozambique, showing that early Homo sapiens relied on grass seeds starting at least 105,000 years ago, including those of sorghum grasses.

Wtf is wrong with you? I have said this countless times and so have many others. The paleo diet isn't about being historically accurate to anT, its about eating as close to nature as possible. Why is that such a hard concept for you to grasp? Can yoy say that eating chemical laden processed food like products is better than eating local whole foods? Why can't you comprehend this simple concept of eating as close to nature as possible in a modern world? Because thats what this diet is about. Not following to a T what some obscure tribe or culture ate thousands of years ago. Get over it your making a fool of yourself. And your argument is weak. Show me a study that shows eating crap is HEALTHIER for you than whole natural foods. abd by healthy I don't mean low calorie. I mean nutritious.

Try reading my actual posts.

Nobody's arguing against making whole minimally processed foods the basis of your diet. The idiocy is in the arbitrary exclusion of perfectly healthy whole foods such as grains, legumes and dairy.

These days grains are not "whole foods". Do some research on GMOs and you'll more than likely be changing your tune. Unless of course you think it's healthy to eat genetically modified foods that have been proven to cause cancerous growths. Legumes are hard for many to digest (not all, many), and dairy was not meant for humans to consume past infancy.
    The paleo diet has been shown to reverse autoimmune diseases and overall improve the health of those who use it. It is eating food in it's most natural form. Unless you're growing your own wheat and making it into bread or whatever product yourself, it's pumped full of chemicals before it is even planted and I would love for you to explain how in the world that makes it a "whole" food.
  • tiffanycf3
    Options
    I've added you! It's nice to find other people who are eating Paleo as opposed to processed junk! :)
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I really just don't see how eating 50% fat can be healthy. I bet their cholesterol is sky high.

And this is a problem?

Just asking the question ;)
  • blshender
    Options

Fifty percent of calories from fat, not fifty percent fat. A good bit of what you eat is supposed to be vegetables, with very little energy.

But anyway, actually it typically isn't. Two things to keep in mind: one, eating cholesterol isn't what knocks your cholesterol out of balance. Your cholesterol is knocked out of balance by being unhealthy and developing insulin resistance. Paleo inhibits and can even reverse insulin resistance, reduces weight, etc. So, no cholesterol issue. Two: keep in mind that cholesterol is vital nutrient. Every nerve cell in your body is dependent on a supply. It is so vital that in absence of a sufficient supply your liver is capable of producing as much as a 1000 mg a day.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    Unless of course you think it's healthy to eat genetically modified foods that have been proven to cause cancerous growths.

I assume you mean the french study? Because if so:
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/jonentine/2012/09/20/scientists-savage-study-purportedly-showing-health-dangers-of-monsantos-genetically-modified-corn/
    I respect the fact that you (and many others) may not wish to eat genetically modified foods, but the claim that it's proven to cause cancer is unfounded.
    Paleo inhibits and can even reverse insulin resistance
    I'd argue that it's not Paleo that does this, but eating healthier in general. Barring food intolerances and other such ailments, simply eating healthy (not necessarily strictly Paleo) can have these benefits. For some folks it's hard to maintain a healthy diet without excluding certain items (I, for example, can't eat just one york peppermint patty. Those things are delicious, so if I'm on a diet, I can't have them...that's not the fault of the Patty though, it's me). For those people a stricter diet like Paleo could be very effective.
  • tiffanycf3
    Options
    Unless of course you think it's healthy to eat genetically modified foods that have been proven to cause cancerous growths.

I assume you mean the french study? Because if so:
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/jonentine/2012/09/20/scientists-savage-study-purportedly-showing-health-dangers-of-monsantos-genetically-modified-corn/
    I respect the fact that you (and many others) may not wish to eat genetically modified foods, but the claim that it's proven to cause cancer is unfounded.
    Paleo inhibits and can even reverse insulin resistance
    I'd argue that it's not Paleo that does this, but eating healthier in general. Barring food intolerances and other such ailments, simply eating healthy (not necessarily strictly Paleo) can have these benefits. For some folks it's hard to maintain a healthy diet without excluding certain items (I, for example, can't eat just one york peppermint patty. Those things are delicious, so if I'm on a diet, I can't have them...that's not the fault of the Patty though, it's me). For those people a stricter diet like Paleo could be very effective.

Basically because the rats were more susceptible to tumors anyway, they ruled out the study, correct? I find it obsurd because if the study were conducted on humans, who are suseptible to tumors themselves, the study wouldn't be ruled out I'm sure.
    Also, the fact that it has put people's autoimmune diseases into remission shouldn't be shoved under the rug while you throw an "unfounded" study at me. Nothing was genetically modified to resist bacteria or make insect's stomach's explode thousands of years ago. There were no "processed" foods and there were not as many people with diseases on which their own bodies attacked their own healthy, living cells.
    I'm just saying, you might not want to trust everything that the government throws at you as fact. Of course they want to make you believe that their genetically modified garbage is not going to cause you any harm. If they told you it would, would you still buy it? Would you still eat it? I'm sure that the people in charge of making the decision as to call the French study inconclusive had absolutely nobody from the government behind them telling them to do so.
    Don't be so trusting to everything you read.
    I've said what I have to say and am walking away from this discussion because I see it going nowhere but in circles. I'll agree to disagree with you because there's no chance in you ever changing my mind about it.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    OMG! GMO!
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    Basically because the rats were more susceptible to tumors anyway, they ruled out the study, correct? I find it obsurd because if the study were conducted on humans, who are suseptible to tumors themselves, the study wouldn't be ruled out I'm sure.
    Also, the fact that it has put people's autoimmune diseases into remission shouldn't be shoved under the rug while you throw an "unfounded" study at me. Nothing was genetically modified to resist bacteria or make insect's stomach's explode thousands of years ago. There were no "processed" foods and there were not as many people with diseases on which their own bodies attacked their own healthy, living cells.
    I'm just saying, you might not want to trust everything that the government throws at you as fact. Of course they want to make you believe that their genetically modified garbage is not going to cause you any harm. If they told you it would, would you still buy it? Would you still eat it? I'm sure that the people in charge of making the decision as to call the French study inconclusive had absolutely nobody from the government behind them telling them to do so.
    Don't be so trusting to everything you read.
    I've said what I have to say and am walking away from this discussion because I see it going nowhere but in circles. I'll agree to disagree with you because there's no chance in you ever changing my mind about it.

That's fair, and as I said I respect your opinion and desire not to consume such foods.

To be clear though, the issue with the study was not just the type of rat used, but also:
    1) Lack of detail regarding a control group.
    2) Lack of complete data disclosure
    3) Sample Size

Additionally, I'm not trying to shove anything under the rug, but claiming that you can see many similar health improvements in people that switch to eating healthier (but not necessarily full Paleo) in general. I'm not trying to knock Paleo at all.

I agree with you that eating the way you're talking about will have health benefits for people who follow the protocol. All I'm saying is that there's alternatives to Paleo which would achieve similar results. I would think that would be better, as (to my understanding) part of eating Paleo is accepting a lifestyle change that doesn't have to be tied to clinical science.