Fruit - to eat or not to eat?

Options

Replies

• AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Some people just like to make things more difficult than they need to be.
    This. So much this. I really think people like to punish themselves and aren't happy unless it's hard. Or they get so caught up in the diet industry and adopt the min/max philosophy that only professional athletes or the hard core adopt trying to get minute gains in speed, body composition or what have you that just does not apply to the average person who wants to lose weight, be healthy and active.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I don't have a minimum amount of fruit to eat because I don't think fruit is as necessary as vegetables.

However, if completely avoiding fruit were necessary to losing weight, everyone would be fat
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    my doc advised me not to eat fruit. but i love it and it helps satisfy my sweet tooth. i try to pair it with a piece of string cheese, cottage cheese or other protein to keep my blood sugar levels consistent. (i'm not diabetic, but i'm interested in glycemic responses, etc.)

i don't go overkill on it, but i usually eat 1/2 a banana (my 2 year old eat the other half) and an orange, lemon or apple. yes, i eat lemons. people think i'm weird, but i love them. :)
  • rlpalomino
    rlpalomino Posts: 27
    Options
    I had the same question. I did some research, it seems vegan bodybuilders prefer to eat fruit before, and during their workouts. Although I am not vegan, I started doing the same, it does fuel me through my workouts.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Love fruit and wouldn't want to live in a world without it.

Eliminate??? Never. Moderation?? Maybe. Me ... I enjoy it everyday. Nom Nom Nom.
  • PuggleLover
    PuggleLover Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    It's summer - I live for fruit. I gotta eat as much as possible while I can get it fresh. So YUMMY!
  • Emili03
    Emili03 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    My doc recommends 2 a day and at least 6 hours apart so that you don't raise your blood sugar too high, as being overweight already puts your body at risk for developing diabetes.
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I do better and avoid other sweets when I've got fruit to snack on. I monitor my sugar (no medical issues, I just keep an eye on it), but I only count ADDED sugars, not what occurs naturally in fruits and veggies. Fruit also has a ton of vitamins and fiber, which are good for you.

If you're within your calorie goals, it shouldn't be hindering you, IMO, but you could try replacing fruits with lower sugar veggie snacks for 2-4 weeks and see if it makes a difference for you.

Good luck!
    Jen
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I don't know anyone who got fat from eating fruit.

THIS!
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    I eat ALL the fruits.

Nomnomnomnomnom for me too.

I'm still obese. Maybe it's the fruit? Or maybe it's because I'm not doing a good job maintaining a calorie deficit. But I'm getting my antioxidants and fiber and happy tastes in my mouth from fruits. Oh and weight lifting.

I'm good.

More seriously though... I think it's absolutely silly that people worry about fruit. Fruit is delicious and healthy. It's packed with all sortsa good stuff. Man. Look at all the fantabulous nutrients you get in a banana in exchange for 100 little calories! Score! I should eat more of them.
  • SusanLovesToEat
    SusanLovesToEat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I never ate fruit (my husband loves it) but have started since joining MFP and find it really helps me curbs those carb cravings. Some people try and stay away from apples and bananas as they have a higher carb count but I love these and there's nothing like a banana after a workout!
  • glennaparks
    glennaparks Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Fruit is nature's candy!
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    If it helps you eat healthy and you feel fine eating it, I wouldn't worry about sugars/carbs if you are under your calorie goal and meeting your protein and fat macros.

^fixed.
  • marz42
    marz42 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I am all about the fruit, especially now with it all being in season. I've been trying to keep some handy so when I feel snacky I eat grapes instead of chips etc. I find some fruits like nice ripe peaches, keep me from craving milkshakes, one of my biggest weaknesses and I've got a dairy queen and baskin robbins each within a mile here.
    The only fruit I've heard you don't want to go too crazy on might be bananas.

Also I've read many places that you are better off eating the actual raw fruit than fruit juice as its less fiber and also to watch out for smoothies as some can have a ton of calories, due to the sheer amount of fruit and the fats and sugars added to them. I was looking at that at Tropical Smoothie King the other day..their smoothies are huge and if you get one with sugar added they are kind of crazy.
  • tweakz20
    tweakz20 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Moderation is key. Watch your sugar consumption. Eating high sugar causes high blood sugar. High blood sugar causes insulin to be released, and glucose stores to be created (fat). Chronic high sugar consumption causes insulin resistance in cells... Insulin resistance causes diabetes.
    It doesn't matter if you get your sugar from fruit or a coke, it's still sugar and your body treats it the same.
  • xPersocom
    xPersocom Posts: 12
    Options
    .... If weight loss means not being able to eat fruit anymore, then screw it, I'm happy as I am. -_-
    This is ridiculous. I'm seeing people today talk about needing to skip meals to reward themself with A HEALTHY supper, people cutting back to under 1000 calories a day for "temporary weight loss", and now about wether or not to eat FRUIT?
    Wow. MFP is getting ridiculous.
  • VeganTrish
    VeganTrish Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    fruit rules eat it

very filling

low cal

high fiber

good poopies
    hear, hear!
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    My opinion of fruit...

eat-it-13529.jpg
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I eat fruit, and I'm a full-blown Type 2 diabetic. My A1C ranges from 5.1 to 5.3, and my blood glucose reading yesterday morning was 74. Maybe I'm lucky, or some sort of mutation, but I seriously doubt it. Fruit just isn't anything to be afraid of.
  • luthage
    luthage Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Fruits contains a simple sugar that is metabolized quickly and easily by the body, unlike the processed sugar that is found in almost everything. All plant foods are predominantly carbohydrate, not just natural sugars, but healthy starches as well as structural elements, like cellulose, that provide fiber. They also contain water, vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients (those naturally-occurring plant compounds that have wide ranging beneficial effects on the body).

A common balanced diet is at least 5 servings of fruits and veg, 1 serving for each type. Wouldn't you rather loose weight on a healthy balanced diet instead of one that isn't? Not eating fruit is actually really bad for your body as they contain nutrients you can't get anywhere else.