Replies

• slobkat
    slobkat Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Fruit is an absolute must for me!!
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I don't know where you're anger stems from. Even if I don't always follow these guidelines, I know what is healthy and what is not. If I choose to eat processed food I will. For me eating a Paleo Diet or completely non-processed diet is not feasible when you work full time and have to raise a family. You do the best you can. If that works for you or whoever, that's fine. But no one should be judged because they don't. We don't know anyone elses lifestyle or family or financial situations. And I will stand by my statement that too much of anything whether it is healthy or not is not good for you. You don't have to agree. It's my opinion.

People should be angry! The government gave us absolutely abysmal diet advice for decades that wasn't based on anything that even moderately resembled half decent research. The guidelines were based on politics and lobbying.
  • PattyfromToledo
    PattyfromToledo Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I don't know about most other people but I do know this... eating fruit did not make me fat... personally, I would never give it up.
  • TONYAGOOCH
    TONYAGOOCH Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    The whole point to my post was everything in moderation. I could care less what the government says. I eat what I want (and I mean everything) in moderation. I'm just saying too much of anything is not good for you. And those are guidelines not rules written in blood. A healthy "balanced" diet is what it amounts too. Fruits are great. I eat them. But I don't eat a lot of them every day. 2 maybe 3. I don't omit anything from my diet unless I don't like it. I'm not trying to shove misinformation down anyones throat either. It's supposed to be used as a guideline only. That's all.
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I think part of it is how close you are to the finish line and how you define your own finish line. There is such a wide variety of weight and fitness goals on this board that there is no one right answer for how much, if any fruit you should eat. For me, I'm down to 1-2 servings in the AM only. That works for me on where I'm at right now. A year ago that would have been ridiculous.
  • HannahDiaz25
    HannahDiaz25 Posts: 104
    Options
    I copy and pasted this from an interesting site

http://fruitsbenefits.com/

The red fruits protect against heart disease, prevent blood clots and improve blood circulation
    Red fruit is rich source of antioxidants which protect against cancer diseases
    Red fruits contain lycopene which is antioxidant and gives the red fruits their red color
    Green fruits boost the immune system, good for eyes and skin
    Yellow and orange fruits contain high amount of carotene which used by the body to make vitamin A
    Yellow and orange fruits is good source of vitamin C and vital for eyes and skin
    White fruits are good for lowering cholesterol , regulate blood pressure and preventing cancer

I think are bodies can handle the natural sugars found in fruit... they have such good health benifits! I LOVE fruit and eat it all the time. I have never found fruit made difficult to maintain or loose weight.
  • km_jenn
    km_jenn Posts: 107
    Options
    being crazy is bad.

Haha! Yes, being crazy is bad! Relax, and eat your fruit!
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    The only reason I could find to limit fruit is if you are diabetic
    Most fruit is really carby
  • Sarahkate1017
    Options
    I don't know where you're anger stems from. Even if I don't always follow these guidelines, I know what is healthy and what is not. If I choose to eat processed food I will. For me eating a Paleo Diet or completely non-processed diet is not feasible when you work full time and have to raise a family. You do the best you can. If that works for you or whoever, that's fine. But no one should be judged because they don't. We don't know anyone elses lifestyle or family or financial situations. And I will stand by my statement that too much of anything whether it is healthy or not is not good for you. You don't have to agree. It's my opinion.

People should be angry! The government gave us absolutely abysmal diet advice for decades that wasn't based on anything that even moderately resembled half decent research. The guidelines were based on politics and lobbying.

So happy someone else feels this way! My friends think I'm nuts when I shout PROPOGANDA every time I see government guidelines. As a teacher, I can tell you that yes, ketchup is still considered a vegetable....at least where I am....anyway, I digress....I love fruit, and I cannot believe we have gotten to the point where we have to question whether or not to eat fresh fruit!
  • HorseWithNoName27
    HorseWithNoName27 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Man, people are debating if it's OK to eat fruit? I dunno, my weight gain over the years stems from things like Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, endless partying, lack of exercise, Pepsi and Doritos. I can GAURANTEE you that in the years I had been gaining weight, I ate fruit only if it was on a cheesecake, or in a drink. :laugh:

Welp, now I'm eating the stuff. And I love it. I eat two to three servings a day, usually one berry and two whole pieces of fruit. Right now, I've got fresh blueberries, gala apples, and peaches. Damn good for me and damn tasty.

To each his own, if fruit is really holding you back, by all means don't eat it. :drinker:
  • theblackbirdtree
    Options
    The only fruits I keep around are lemons, limes, 2 apples at a time, frozen bananas, and tangerines/clementines when in season.

I've got sugar issues-- once I eat fruit, I crave sugar for HOURS. :grumble:

Thus, I suck on lemons. It's actually sweet, once you get used to it. :smooched:
  • theblackbirdtree
    Options
    http://fruitsbenefits.com/

The red fruits protect against heart disease, prevent blood clots and improve blood circulation..source of antioxidants which protect against cancer diseases..contain lycopene which is antioxidant and gives the red fruits their red color
    Green fruits boost the immune system, good for eyes and skin
    Yellow and orange fruits contain high amount of carotene which used by the body to make vitamin A..good source of vitamin C and vital for eyes and skin
    White fruits are good for lowering cholesterol , regulate blood pressure and preventing cancer

I think are bodies can handle the natural sugars found in fruit... they have such good health benifits! I LOVE fruit and eat it all the time. I have never found fruit made difficult to maintain or loose weight.

The same colored vegetables do the exact same thing, and contain more fiber.
    "[Vegetables are] a great source of most vitamins and minerals, from vitamin A in carrots to iron in spinach. They also help ward off cravings due to their filling fiber content. While no vegetable should be avoided and all can benefit your health, there are some that have lower sugar contents than others. These include green, leafy vegetables (spinach, lettuce, kale and other salad greens), asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, celery, cucumber and mushrooms.

http://suite101.com/article/low-sugar-fruits-and-vegetables"

"tomatoes, red pepper, red foods contain lycopene, phytochemicals help to prevent prostate cancer and breast cancer.

Vitamin α and β-carotene in carrots, potatoes and oranges converts to vitamin A to maintain healthy eyes, bones and immune system. These phytochemicals act as antioxidants.

http://sneh.info/2011/03/benefits-of-green-red-and-orange-vegetables/"

Fiber can easily be remedied with 2 ounces of nuts and seeds a day, or cruciferous veggies. http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/nutrition/p/fiberinfo.htm

*Just my 2 cents, and I appreciate and respect all other users who disagree or have found that eating fruit has assisted in their weight loss.. which is AWESOME!* :drinker:
  • stephenwebbe
    stephenwebbe Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I love fruit! I eat tons of it and have no problem losing weight. Plus I have a sweet tooth, so if it keeps me from craving sugar then I'm happy...
  • irenep22
    irenep22 Posts: 59
    Options
    Love love fruit. I pt hasnt affected my weight loss ;)
  • pleasinglypretty
    Options
    fruit is simply the most delicious thing in the world to me!!!
    i get really nervous though when people say, "but it has sugar!"
    bleh