How did you get proposed to?

Options

Replies

• Julzanne72
    Julzanne72 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    We were in Door County, by far the most gorgeous area in Wisconsin, taking the Ferry to WAshington Island, I was just riding along enjoying the scenery and Greg asked his friend if this was a "pretty spot"? To which he responded, "I don't know, Greg. Is it?" All I am thinking is, "these guys are so odd, why are they asking each other such odd questions?" the next thing I know, he is holding my hand, and as I am turning around he is down on one knee with ring in his had, asking me to marry him! It was truly the BEST!! Got a round of applause from all the people riding on the top deck of the Ferry....and of course, I said yes!!
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    LOVE all that stories!

How fitting! Our 9 year anniversary is this month! My husband (then boyfriend) decided he wanted to buy a boat, we had been dating for about three years, and I thought that if he buys a boat I will never see an engagement ring. Well little did I know that when he took out the loan for the boat he took out enough to buy a ring as well. So he bought the boat and was excited to go for the first ride. We take a short ride (we live on Lake Erie) and the water was really choppy so we got back to our slip in the marina and were just hanging out on the boat when he says "I thought of a good name for the boat" (previous to this he's been giving horrible name suggestions) so I'm waiting to hear it and he reaches into his pocket, gets down on one knee, opens the ring box, and says how about the Ringbearer and asks "will you marry me?". Needless to say I was so excited and happy!!!
  • jcjsjones
    jcjsjones Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    My husband asked me to go on a walk with him on the river (we live right on the Ohio). He stopped right in front of the convention center and got down on one knee. There was a party going on and all the guests saw him propose. Needless to say, there were lots of cheers. 13 years later he still swears that he didn't know we would have a full audience.
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    My husband proposed on Christmas Eve 2009. We went to Church and he downed a few beers beforehand which I thought was strange but a proposal was the last thing from my mind so I didn't really think much of it. After church the whole family was over and the tradition is everyone gets to open one gift.

He had fooled me into thinking he had gotten us tickets for a vacation somewhere so that's 100% what I was suspecting. I was last to open my gift and I opened a gift bag in front of my entire family and inside was a medium sized decorated box that said "The very best vacation" inside that was a smaller box that said "I could ever take" and inside that was an envelope that said "would be with you" and then inside the envelope (I'm still thinking they were tickets) was a piece of paper that said "forever" and the ring was taped to it. CUE INSTANT WATERWORKS!!!

I can't lie...I just got tears in my eyes at my desk at work over this story!! Disclaimer: it could be my pregnancy hormones, hahaha, but what a sweet story!!!

Edited to add my proposal story - I was in Europe for 2 weeks, and the night I returned my husband proposed because he said those two weeks made him realize he couldn't live without me. He used my mom's wedding band to propose!
  • Bunnehface
    Bunnehface Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    My man proposed on Christmas Eve...we have always exchanged our presents to each other on Christmas Eve due to always being so busy on the big day. We exchanged presents and I still had one left. We were both in our pyjamas (him in his He-Man, Masters of the Universe ones...irrelevant, but always makes me laugh, he's TWENTY EIGHT! lol) and he made me close my eyes. When I opened them he was on one knee. He had asked my parents for their blessing first, which really touched me as I'm a traditional girl at heart, and I said yes. The following day, my big brother proposed to his girlfriend, who also said yes. So it was a nice big family celebration and joint engagement >_<
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    No proposal here (together nearly 18 years). We moved in together in 1998 for our last year of college. We noticed that our anniversary fell on a Saturday in the year 2000 (after opening up a checking account we looked at the checkbook calendar). We booked it that summer (had to book 2 years ahead, it was peak New England foliage season in 2000 and lots of people wanted to get married in 2000). We got married 6 years to the day of when we first started dating. :)
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I went on a cruise with my now husband (Todd) and his family and the second to last night we were having a fancy dinner on the ship. The waiter had been flirting with Todd's sister the whole week. It was cute. So the dessert was coming out and they brought them out on plates with covers on them. The flirty waiter was taking off the cover of my plate and on the plate read " will you marry me" in chocolate syrup with a hibiscus flower and decorated fruit. I seriously thought it was a joke and that the waiter meant to give this plate to todd's sister.. So i looked up and his whole family was camera ready waiting for my response. I was in such shock. I looked at Todd and he looked soooooo nervous and said to me, So??? lol so then i knew it was for real. and I of course said YES. Then the whole restaurant sang a song called "Happy Engagement". it was very sweet. <3
  • coachtruder
    coachtruder Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    First...a little background...
    I slipped my husband a business card at the local Hooters resturant. I was eating there with a guy friend when I noticed Tim sitting at another table. I had recently bought a motorcycle so on the back of my business card I wrote 'Give me a call sometime and we can take our bikes out for a spin'. He only saw the back of my head as I bolted out the door. That was a Sunday afternoon and he called me the next day!

Here is how he proposed...
    March 29th was a pretty normal Sunday. I was sitting on the couch in front of the labtop doing some work and online shopping. Tim got up off the chase and went into the other room and of course the girls followed (our 2 dogs). Tim came back into the living room a few minutes later and told the girls 'go see your mom'. We do this all the time when they have food on their face, grass stains, or have some paper for the other person tucked under their collar. Jez came right over while Shey stayed on the other side of the living room. I saw that Jez had some paper clipped to her collar so I took it off. It was 3 business cards...'Will'....'You'...'Marry'... Tim dropped down to his knee and opened the ring box. He asked 'Will you marry me?'

...tears, kisses, oh-crap...I didn't say yes, "YES", more tears, and more kisses! After I got up from hitting my knees to give him kisses I got the rest of the message off of Shey's collar...'Me'...'?'.

Tim designed the ring (with a little help from his buddy Dan who is a gemologist and the rings in the jewerly box) and his friend Dan made it. It sure is one of a kind and not another ring in the world will come close to being as perfect as this one! I might be a little biased, but I don't think so. :)

From there I had to tell my family. I didn't know how I was going to do it. The orginal plan was to wait a week and make a suprise visit home for Easter. Tim said 'There is no way you will be able to put that back in the box and keep a secret for an entire week'. True...so...I took a picture of the ring and e-mailed it to mom and dad. I waited 5 minutes and then called them to tell them there was a very important e-mail that they needed to read. Well...they were not home! I called Al and Shelly's to see if they were there playing with their granddaughter Addison. They just left! That was the toughest 1/2 hour of my life! I wanted mom and dad to know before everyone else since Facebook is around and news travels fast. I called again after I figured they would be home. Mom answered...'you don't even give a person time to call you back'. I proceded to tell her that there was something that she needed to take care of by e-mail right away (acting sad) and dad needed to be right there. Dad was in the background saying 'why do I need to be around the computer?'. Typical Dad! Mom opened the e-mail after what felt like forever and she gasped. Then dad got in trouble for not telling her that Tim asked permission to marry his daughter. :) Tim gave dad specific orders not to tell a soul! Oh...I talked to dad on the Thursday before Tim asked me for over an hour! Dad said that was the hardest hour of ever talking to me and that past week was extreamly hard. He wanted to tell, but he kept his mouth shut and the secret was his!

Then...the calls and e-mails started as we spread the news.
  • hkevans724
    hkevans724 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    My hubby and I had already decided to get married. We went to the store to pick out a ring. he carried it out of the store, I guess I assumed he would plan something later but he proposed right out in the parking lot :) There was an old couple parked a few rows over honking and smiling and waving! It was sweet :) a few years later we broke up and got back together, that time he asked on Christmas Eve. He wrapped the ring box up and put a note inside telling me to go somewhere else and find another wrapped gift, (which was a very heavy box with his knife and yet another note telling me to go to the most important thing in his life next to me, so of course i went straight for the car keys where I found another note telling me to come see him :) He was in the living room holding my ring. It was very cool.
  • AliciaNorris81
    AliciaNorris81 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Ready for this? It is a doozy. I was proposed to on the toilet while peeing. :tongue:

I was dating my husband for about a year and we had just moved in together.

I normally car-pooled with a friend to work but she was on her honeymoon so I was driving. I got in a pretty bad car accident on the way home. The car just kept rolling and rolling.

I was in the hospital for a few days and required around the clock care for a couple of weeks after being home. He took the time off of work and stayed with me. I was so out of it with the pain medications, the only time I was "awake" was to go to the bathroom.

He would help me in there, get me on the pot and when I was done peeing, he would help me up.

To my surprise one day, he got me sat down and got on one knee and pulled out a ring. With me on the toilet, trying to pee :huh: .

In his defense, he had planned on proposing that week, but due to the circumstances, this was the only time he could get me awake and he didn't want to wait another minute.

Ahhh...so many memories. :laugh:
  • LadyQueefsalot
    LadyQueefsalot Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    He taped the his grandmothers ring inside the bottom on a huge box (so I wouldn't know it was jewelry) and wrapped it and gave it to me on Christmas Eve. And he was so pleased with his clever idea he had to be reminded he still needed to ask :P.
  • jmelyan23
    jmelyan23 Posts: 1,664 Member
    Options
    He took me out to a dinner/dance and before the dance portion started, he went out to the middle of the dance floor, called me over and got down on his knee in front of all those people and proposed. :) It'll be 5 years on the 23rd.
  • MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    At a beautiful restaurant on my birthday with all my friends there!
  • mtaylor33557
    mtaylor33557 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I had pointed out this pretty glass top jewelry box while we were Christmas shopping online.

On the day before Christmas Eve we were exchanging the presents we got for one another. (Christmas Eve was my family, Christmas day, his.. so we did our own little thing the day before).

We both had about 4 presents each, and he started by giving me one, and we rotated back and forth and finally I was down to my last present. I opened it and it was the jewelry box, and inside staring up at me through the glass was a beautiful diamond.

He took it out of the box, got on one knee and tried to propose. However, my husband is quite sensitive, so it came out as mumbling and tears.. so he just held it up to me. It was so very sweet.

After we celebrated a bit and sent text message pictures and such I stopped and popped him in the shoulder... "You should have let ME gone first!! You still have a present left.. and its a stupid clock.. how can that compare to this!!"

My ring was wrapped and under the tree for WEEKS just sitting in the room with me every time I was in there.. I thought that was cute.
  • roxerella
    roxerella Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    My fiance is French–born in Paris. He wooed me 5 years ago with promises of a romantic trip to his city of birth. Last month that promise finally came true. He took me to Paris wined me, dined me and whipped out a spectacular diamond at the top of the Eiffel Tower at dusk! Soooo romantic :-)
  • mtaylor33557
    mtaylor33557 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Exactly how I wanted it: just the two of us in an intimate setting, without fanfare or attempts to draw attention to what was going on.

Celebrating an engagement is so much fun to share with friends and family, but I'm extremely grateful the actual proposal was just between the two of us. It's a wonderful memory.

I so agree. I'm a private person and my husband's family doesn't get this. If you read my story, you know mine was inside one of my Christmas presents, and ALL of his family knew about it. They begged him to bring it with to their family Christmas so they could "take pictures for us". He declined. He knew me well enough to know I would have been uncomfortable with that.

It's an intimate moment.. and I'm glad it was just the two of us.
  • sashanicole88
    sashanicole88 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    We went out on a little date on a Monday night, grabbed some Subway, & ate dinner on the pier overlooking the harbor in Maryland. (He was acting really weird and actually left his sandwich at the subway store on accident - late I understood this to be caused from nerves:wink: )When we go t to the pier, my boyfriend and I were taking pictures together. Our friends "bumped in" to us and offered to take some pictures of us, but first made me do a silly pose overlooking the water. I was turned towards the water doing a funny pose, and when I turned around, he was on one knee and asked me to marry him. I was completely surprised :)
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Christmas morning I opened my gift (which he saved for last)....and surprise, it was a ring!
    The whole family was there and they were completely shocked. I think everyone just sat there for about 15mins in complete silence...until my mom said: Is there a question to go with that ring?? lol
    Then my fiance leaned over (yep, leaned over - didn't even get on his knee) and said: Will you Marry Me? lol

Apparently he had bought my ring the day before Christmas...I don't even think he really understood what he was doing...haha I think he was just as shocked as everyone else that he was proposing! hahaha What a guy!

Not very romantic, but very sweet. It is even more touching now because his mom who passed away 6mos after our engagement was there to share the moment with us...
  • hevhoyda
    hevhoyda Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    My husband's plan was to wait until I finished my half marathon and do it at the finish line, but he got the ring a week early and claims he couldn't wait a whole week. So instead the day after he got the ring I was studying for a big pharmacy exam and he had me look at rings online so he could "get an idea" of what I liked. Then he said "how about this one?" and I was all confused until I looked over and he was down on his knee with the ring! Unfortunately studying was not my main focus after that, hence the C+ I got on that exam haha. Also, my best friend knew and had avoided me for days so she wouldn't give anything away and here I was thinking she was mad for some reason haha.
  • TheDudette
    TheDudette Posts: 174
    Options
    Picture it, we're walking along the coast in Blackpool (think the Jersey Shore but even tackier) and I am scarfing down a bag of kinky donuts as we go.

Him - "What are you doing in October?"
    Me - "How the hell am I supposed to know?" As I lick my fingers.
    Him - "Wanna get married?"
    Me - "Hell yea!"

We eloped in October.

P.S. This is the easiest way to describe my husband and I.