Euro 2012 - Anyone else watching the tournament?

Options

Replies

• YaBoiMUGS
    YaBoiMUGS Posts: 237
    Options
    Anyone in the USA waiting for Ballack and Lalas to start throwing punches in the ESPN studios?
    :laugh: Glad I'm not the only one who noticed. They either hate each other, or have some extreme sexual tension. Regardless, it's awkward up there at times.
  • cmurray234
    cmurray234 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Anyone in the USA waiting for Ballack and Lalas to start throwing punches in the ESPN studios?

LOL! The rest of them are falling all over themselves trying to get Ballack's attention and he is so supremely indifferent. I wonder if they've asked for his autograph off air....:D

Ballack is a legend. That's all there is to it. I like Lalas usually, but he was talking out of his backside today. "Spain isn't worried." Really? Given the way Torres and the entire mid-field played today added to the fact that they are Villa-less? I bet they're losing sleep.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    :laugh:

there must be some stuff that goes on off camera that we can't see. yesterday rebecca lowe even started to joke about what it's going to be like and lalas gave her a quick "we dont talk about family business in public" look
  • HellsKells
    HellsKells Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I think Lalas' ego is hurt, because Ballack clearly has more clout than him and it's bugging the hell out of him.
  • cmurray234
    Options
    I think Lalas' ego is hurt, because Ballack clearly has more clout than him and it's bugging the hell out of him.

I wondered if it was because the other commentators always defer to him. "Michael, what do YOU think?" :laugh:

They don't care so much what Lalas thinks.
  • YaBoiMUGS
    Options

LOL! The rest of them are falling all over themselves trying to get Ballack's attention and he is so supremely indifferent. I wonder if they've asked for his autograph off air....:D

Ballack is a legend. That's all there is to it. I like Lalas usually, but he was talking out of his backside today. "Spain isn't worried." Really? Given the way Torres and the entire mid-field played today added to the fact that they are Villa-less? I bet they're losing sleep.

You really think the best team in the history of soccer is losing sleep?
  • HellsKells
    Options

I wondered if it was because the other commentators always defer to him. "Michael, what do YOU think?" :laugh:

Yeah, I'm sure you're right. But really...who would YOU listen to? Someone that played one season on an Italian team that barely escaped relegation, or someone that consistently played for top European teams for their entire career?

Yeah, me too. :laugh:
  • cmurray234
    Options

Well, I'm a fan of said best team in history and *I'M* losing sleep. :) I really do think they might be a bit worried. That was uninspired at best today. And I lurves me some Torres, but he was just short of awful today.
  • cmurray234
    Options

Yeah, I'm sure you're right. But really...who would YOU listen to? Someone that played one season on an Italian team that barely escaped relegation, or someone that consistently played for top European teams for their entire career?

Yeah, me too. :laugh:

I should have qualified that by saying that I don't care what Lalas thinks either. :laugh: Also, Ballack is hot. Ahem. Not that has anything to do with his football knowledge, but still, it's a treat to see him in his nifty suit every day. :heart:
  • HellsKells
    Options

Well, I'm a fan of said best team in history and *I'M* losing sleep. :) I really do think they might be a bit worried. That was uninspired at best today. And I lurves me some Torres, but he was just short of awful today.

Also...Spain is not the "best team in the history of soccer". That would be Brazil :wink: They are however, the team that has won the European championship the most times.
  • HellsKells
    Options

I should have qualified that by saying that I don't care what Lalas thinks either. :laugh: Also, Ballack is hot. Ahem. Not that has anything to do with his football knowledge, but still, it's a treat to see him in his nifty suit every day. :heart:

Totally agree. He is nice to look at :love: As much as I hate to admit it (because I am now a die hard soccer enthusiast) - the whole reason I started getting interested in the sport when I was younger was because all the guys were so fit and nice to look at. :blushing:

And Alexi Lalas has always gotten on my nerves, so I would probably pay to see someone really put him in his place :laugh:
  • cmurray234
    Options

Also...Spain is not the "best team in the history of soccer". That would be Brazil :wink: They are however, the team that has won the European championship the most times.

I believe there is some debate over whether the current Spanish side is better or the 1970 Brazil squad. But I'd probably go with Brazil too.

In any case, if they continue to play like that, Germany WILL beat them.
  • HellsKells
    Options
    Yeah, I'm sure there's plenty of room for that debate. I was going on stats alone. Brazil has won the most international competitions, but then again, they're not invited to the European cup, so who can really say, i suppose.
  • YaBoiMUGS
    Options
    This Spanish team is about to do something no team EVER has, win 3 major tournaments in a row, and be favored to win the next world cup. I'd consider that the best team in history. Trust me, they're not losing any sleep.
  • TheDoctor90
    TheDoctor90 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    This Spanish team is about to do something no team EVER has, win 3 major tournaments in a row, and be favored to win the next world cup. I'd consider that the best team in history. Trust me, they're not losing any sleep.

Spain might be incredible, but yesterday they played crap. Croatia played well and if they'd put away a few chances Spain would be out.
    If Spain play like that against England, they'd lose. I doubt they will play like that again, but still, they're not infallible.
  • RetroMoobs
    RetroMoobs Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I still think Germany have got it in them to stop Spain. Like Barcelona this season, Spain are looking tired, staying at the top of the pile for so long is always going to take its toll in the end.

The games the Spanish players have played in the last 4 years, the way the Spanish FA have dragged them around the world like some globetrotter team and milked them for all they are worth is finally hitting them. I think winning this time round is an ask too far.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options

Spain might be incredible, but yesterday they played crap. Croatia played well and if they'd put away a few chances Spain would be out.
    If Spain play like that against England, they'd lose. I doubt they will play like that again, but still, they're not infallible.

I'm a Spain fan & definitely agree with you on their last game against Croatia. They didn't played well although I don't think Croatia also played well, they had a lot of missed opportunities last night though they did a great job on the defensive side. I was on the brink of expecting a draw if not for Jesus Navas' last minute goal which I think was merely out of luck since he was wide open.

By the way what happened to David Villa? Why I don't see him in the Spanish team?
    Options
    Yeah, I'm sure there's plenty of room for that debate. I was going on stats alone. Brazil has won the most international competitions, but then again, they're not invited to the European cup, so who can really say, i suppose.

But well look at what happened to them in the 2010 FIFA World Cup. They didn't even made it to the semis.
  • RetroMoobs
    RetroMoobs Posts: 34 Member
    Options

I'm a Spain fan & definitely agree with you on their last game against Croatia. They didn't played well although I don't think Croatia also played well, they had a lot of missed opportunities last night though they did a great job on the defensive side. I was on the brink of expecting a draw if not for Jesus Navas' last minute goal which I think was merely out of luck since he was wide open.

By the way what happened to David Villa? Why I don't see him in the Spanish team?

Villa only just returned to training at club level after a leg break, they were toying with the idea of bringing him to the tournament but it would have been pointless with no time on the pitch under his belt, he would have been a shadow of his best.
    Options

Villa only just returned to training at club level after a leg break, they were toying with the idea of bringing him to the tournament but it would have been pointless with no time on the pitch under his belt, he would have been a shadow of his best.

Ohh I see. Well even if I'm a Madridista but I also like him even if he is from Barca.