Do you count calories in Fruit and Veggies?

Options
I've heard people say when counting calories, you don't have to add calories from fresh fruits and veggies. What do u think? Do you?

Replies

• MiraGonz
    MiraGonz Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I usually do, even though the calories might be minimal. I like to keep track of certain nutrients, such as calcium, fiber, and vitamin C, so if I don't add all the fruits and veggies then those numbers will be off.
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    They are probably thinking the weight watchers frame of mind. I definitley count them here but dont stress over whether my fruit was small, medium, large etc...
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Fruits YES!! (Because they are higher in calories)
    I personally track veggies but my numbers are all approximate. I don't think veggies are that big of a deal to track though.
    If I have mixed veggies (like let's say I have broccoli, cabbage, zucchini, cauliflower, bok choy, mushrooms) all steamed together, I might just put in two of the veggies because I don't know exactly how much of everything I ate.
  • Shannota
    Shannota Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I absolutely track them. A banana has around 100 calories depending on size. Apples...around 80. Some vegetables are more calorie dense than others as well. It all adds up.
  • l3rob
    l3rob Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Interesting question. I have been hearing that as well, where some say that simple carbohydrates "don't really count as much" since your body burns them quickly. To me, it seems a calorie is a calorie, and your body has to expend effort to burn it either way. I'd love to have some sort of explanation that makes sense on this.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do but I log every thing I eat. I am brutally honest with myself with my logging and will have a lot of random things like "four goldfish crackers" that I stole off of one of my childrens plates, ha. Everything counts, everything adds up when you're counting.
  • happythermia
    happythermia Posts: 374
    Options
    I measure & track everything. LOL I could eat thousands of calories in fruit!
  • vfnmoody
    vfnmoody Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • JessFitz101
    Options
    Yes, I track every taste, nibble, bite I take of anything. Calories are calories.
  • kfitzpa
    kfitzpa Posts: 326
    Options
    Yes... I track every single calorie.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Count everything, you're only lying to yourself.
  • OWBATB
    OWBATB Posts: 1
    Options
    I do. I was on weight watchers before, and the weight loss was fast the first two weeks, and then came to a screeching halt. when I switched to myfitness pal and started counting everything, the weight started coming back off again, so it does make a difference.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Of course, why wouldn't you?
    My diary today has just under 400 cals of fresh fruit and veg (not including dried fruit,
    or veggies in the casserole I'm having for lunch. I wouldn't leave 400 cals of bread or fish out of my diary, why leave out fruit and veg?
  • japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    If you're going to track you need to track everything! It all adds up. It's not just calories you should be looking at so not counting fruits and veggies means you will not be missing sodium, sugar and carbs!
  • LovelyLifter
    LovelyLifter Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I count EVERYTHING that goes into my mouth EVERYTHING !
  • twinmom430
    twinmom430 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I do. Especially fruit, a lot of fruit are high in calories. I weigh everything and track everything I put in my mouth.
  • Antonia2501
    Antonia2501 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I always do. Even if its just a little. Because little calories add up to a lot.
  • veganpoler
    veganpoler Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Yes! I eat a ton of fruits and vegetables, if I didn't track them, I wouldn't be counting 500+ calories every day. Which would be my whole weight loss deficit.

Weight Watchers allows you to eat unlimited fruits and veggies at 0 points, but they have rigged their system so that everyone's daily points goal is lower, in order to account for several servings. It's just a little mind game, really. That's one of the reasons I quit WW and came here - I wanted more control over my weight loss goals. Plus this is free. Yeah, that was the main reason!
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    they have calories don't they? That's why I'm not really pro any diets like WW, jenny craig, etc. They don't teach you how to eat .... A good 300-500 calories a day of what I eat comes from veggies & beans -- how bad would it be if I didn't count those?? I think I'd never have lost as much weight as I have.
  • knorth813
    knorth813 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think it was Bob Harper I heard say that a few days ago. Thats why I'm asking. He was on some show and said eat all the fruits and veggies you want and dont count the calories cause they are all good for u. But yes, the calories DO add up! I have lost 50+ lbs. and I always add them. I was just wondering if I was wasting my time logging every single fruit and veggie