Do you count calories in Fruit and Veggies?

Options

Replies

• MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    YES, ALL OF IT!
  • Southernb3lle
    Southernb3lle Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    When I was doing WW and they changed to the Points Plus system they had most fruits and veggies counted as zero. BUT since stopping WW and counting my cals. I do add my fruit and veggies in.
  • sbrooks0387
    sbrooks0387 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    i do, if you are cal counting every thing adds up. veggies don't add up much but fruit can be 80-100 cals a serving.
  • betrayalunknown
    Options
    Yes, considering the fact that on average, my vegetables (no dressing, oils, dip etc.) average at about 1,000 calories.

My fruits (no dips, chocolate, peanut butter etc.) average at about 900 calories.

You get the point...

add on my snacks, grains, dairy and nuts and there's another whopping 1,000 calories right there.

Basically, if I DIDN'T count my whole fruits and veggies, I would be "guessing" that I only consume about 1,000 calories a day. And this is clearly not the case.

The carbs that I consume are off the charts high because of all of the sugars of my fruits and vegs (like carrots and corn)..
    So my best advice to you is that you should track EVERYTHING!!!!! Especially if you're watching your carbs.
  • sthrnchick
    sthrnchick Posts: 771
    Options
    I count calories in everything I eat...veggies, fruits, EVERYTHING!
  • cbevan1229
    cbevan1229 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I do about 95% of the time. If I pop one cherry in my mouth as I walk past the bowl, or add 1 slice of tomato to my sandwich, I may not log those.
  • Inebriated
    Inebriated Posts: 271
    Options
    Yes! I eat a ton of fruits and vegetables, if I didn't track them, I wouldn't be counting 500+ calories every day. Which would be my whole weight loss deficit.
  • DCARA06
    DCARA06 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've been logging them but NO not every calorie is made equal!!
    1200 calories from chips and white bread do not equal 1200 calories from fresh fruits and veggies!! If you don't believe me, try it! Try one week on processed foods and one week on whole fresh foods. I bet you loose on week #2 and gain on week #1. Blind calorie counting is not the answer, you should be aware of the value of each of the calories you eat.
  • StevenV84
    Options
    I always count the calories in fruit and veggies, the only thing I don't count are the natural sugars found in fruits.
  • _Tara_R
    _Tara_R Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do. I log every single thing that goes in my mouth.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I count them.

Unless if I am in a rush and it is not already in my diary. Also, if its a mix of a bunch of veggies from a restaurant, i usually won't.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I've heard people say when counting calories, you don't have to add calories from fresh fruits and veggies. What do u think? Do you?

Why wouldn't you? Some fruits are pretty high in calories and sugar. Fresh salad greens, if you are eating them plain, I wouldn't worry about.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I count them!! Fruits and veggies are healthy for you....but their calories still should fit into your daily goal. If you go above and beyond then...well too many calories = surplus = eventual weight gain
  • rtpjmlm5
    rtpjmlm5 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I count every little morsel that goes into my mouth:tongue:
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Of course! A banana has like 90 calories and an apple has 55. I even count my calcium supplement though :)
  • CyeRyn
    CyeRyn Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    For me it depends on the serving size. If its under 1/2cup I don't log it.. if I eat the whole fruit I will log it. I just *personally* don't feel I should log if its just a couple grapes or cherries I decided to snag out of the fridge.
  • thinnnnnnner
    Options
    Yes, I track every taste, nibble, bite I take of anything. Calories are calories.
  • Ruthe8
    Ruthe8 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do but I log every thing I eat. I am brutally honest with myself with my logging and will have a lot of random things like "four goldfish crackers" that I stole off of one of my childrens plates, ha. Everything counts, everything adds up when you're counting.

SO TRUE!!! And since its so rare that anyone has veggies with absolutely nothing on them, no salt, no olive oil, NOTHING, you must must track everything. I consider corn and potatoes starches, not veggies, and look at how many calls they have!!! The best to do is track everything, I mean WHY NOT???
    You think it's rare that people eat fresh vegetables??
  • Lidenbrock
    Options
    If you want an accurate record of your eating habits you have no option but to count them.
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Yes. Accuracy matters.