Do you count calories in Fruit and Veggies?

Options

Replies

• itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    You absolutely do.

If we're talking a piece of lettuce on your sandwich, sure, maybe you could skip that.

But think of it this way:

A whole apple is around 80 calories. If you ate 2 apples a day (among other things!) that's 160 calories a day.

Now, pretend you're not counting that. And pretend you hit your maintenance every day. You're now essentially 160 calories over per day, which will make you gain about 17 pounds in a year.

If you're not maintaining, not counting that 160 calories a day means you would lose 17lbs less than you would have otherwise.

And that's just 2 apples. I eat 500-600 calories worth of fruits and vegetables every day. That's 62lbs worth of calories a year.

If you eat it, you should log it.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    IF I BITE IT, I WRITE IT!

same goes if its a drink with calories....
  • jc501
    jc501 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I count the calories. However, I do not count the sugar in fruit.
  • katiejarr
    katiejarr Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    IF I BITE IT, I WRITE IT!

same goes if its a drink with calories....

ME ^
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Yep... (with the occasional exception of cilantro/chives for garnish).
  • Rwooland90
    Rwooland90 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I count with everything although i have just read an article on certain foods which actually take more calories to process than are actually in the food item itself, to name a couple; celery, cucumber, apples! :s personally i cant believe this to be true as that would mean if you ate 5000 kcals a day of the foods listed you would continue to lose weight, surely not!

"fifteen foods that burn more calories than they contain"
    http://lifehacker.com/331319/fifteen-foods-that-burn-more-calories-than-they-contain
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I do, yes.
  • surfmonkey17
    surfmonkey17 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do. I eat a lot of them and they really add up throughout the day.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I dunno. Suppose how much you eat them, how strict you're being and... etc.

Personally? I don't. But I eat so few veggies that it's really negligible. At MOST they're adding MAYBE 100 calories to my daily intake.

I know, I know. I should eat more veggies. I'll get right on it mommy.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    No because I eat more if I don't and I need the nutrients because I'm sick often. Not true to say I lie to myself because I know what I ate but if I ate veggies all day they're still healthy, so I only track the high calorie vegetables and fruit sometimes.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    You absolutely do.

If we're talking a piece of lettuce on your sandwich, sure, maybe you could skip that.

But think of it this way:

A whole apple is around 80 calories. If you ate 2 apples a day (among other things!) that's 160 calories a day.

Now, pretend you're not counting that. And pretend you hit your maintenance every day. You're now essentially 160 calories over per day, which will make you gain about 17 pounds in a year.

If you're not maintaining, not counting that 160 calories a day means you would lose 17lbs less than you would have otherwise.

And that's just 2 apples. I eat 500-600 calories worth of fruits and vegetables every day. That's 62lbs worth of calories a year.

If you eat it, you should log it.
    This. I dont log my lettuce lol UNLESS I had salad
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Absolutely....it is calories in; it is of course better calories than say chips/fries but it is still calories so they still count.
  • zeebruhgirl
    zeebruhgirl Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Count EVERYTHING.
  • _AllieCat_
    _AllieCat_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Of course I do. Bananas are around 100 cals, apples 80, a serving of broccoli around 40. It all adds up at the end of the day.
  • melonheadPHX
    Options
    Most fruits and some veggies are highly caloric and many have a high glycemic index as well.

I would highly recommend that you log all that you eat, at least until you have an understanding of your personal intake/output profile
  • msafunk
    msafunk Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Fruits like apples and bananas, definitely. Sometimes, I'll get lazy about tracking lettuce and tomatos, since those are only ~5 calories for a whole cup, and I rarely eat that much when I do have it.
  • emkingxx
    Options
    Yes, but mostly to keep track of nutrients.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    You know what I don't understand? Any food you log and consume... any calorie entry you make... is a general estimate anyway. For all you know, you're out 100-200 calories a day from what you actually consumed (whether for a negative or positive). None of this stuff is 100% correct.

So if you don't log that 40 calorie piece of broccoli but the calorie estimate for your 400 calorie lunch was perhaps short... it'll balance out. Of course if the 400 calorie estimate for lunch was over, you'll be a little over but by 40 calories?

I don't know. I suppose I'm just a bit loose when it comes to the actual numbers. This could explain my inability to lose in the past year.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    They have calories - so I log them
  • hannibal28
    hannibal28 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    always, nuff said