Do you count calories in Fruit and Veggies?

Options

Replies

• littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Yes, I always count those calories. Fruit might be healthy, but it is not exactly low-cal. It can add up very quickly if you aren't paying attention. Vegetables generally have far fewer calories, but I still count them. If I ate 1300 calories on top of unlimited fruits and veggies, I doubt I would be able to lose much.
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I track all fruits and MOST veggies....Fruit, while good for you, can pack calories too....
  • cgraylyon
    cgraylyon Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Yes I do, unless it's one piece of lettuce for a sandwich! Everything else is counted!!
  • Sindari
    Sindari Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    If it goes in my mouth, it gets logged. (except my sugar free gum).

And before someone takes this and runs with it, get your mind out of the gutter. (There's only room for one and its occupado.)
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    If I eat or drink it, I log it...
  • lafl3ur
    lafl3ur Posts: 15
    Options
    I do, but I'm also looking to track micronutrients...
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. However, I don't give it much thought if they put me over in sugar/carbs.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! A banana give or take can be 100 calories, and most apples average to 80 or so. I have one each a day! Also, I love carrots, and have some everyday. That's over 1,000 of my weekly calories!
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    of course! Some have more calories than others.
  • bluegalcc
    bluegalcc Posts: 9
    Options
    Everything and even a little heavy.....
  • laurawasskinny
    Options
    This is a great post. I know it doesn't make sense to some ppl that the question was asked at all, but for those of us switching from WW to MFP it's valid. Thank you everyone!
  • feeymomoex3
    Options
    In used to ALWAYS count calories in my fruits and vegies, but everyone I talked to would constantly tell me I didn't have to. My doctor said that yes, fruits & vegies, have calories, but they're calories that your body NEEDS to grow. Esp. if you work out, you need to eat unlimited amounts of fruits. They're good for you.
  • pejuwale
    pejuwale Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think this web page explains it. I have always heard you are allowed unlimited amounts of fruit and veg yet they ve got calories; so I got curious and did some research....

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/dos-donts-counting-calories
  • Mrsfreedom41
    Mrsfreedom41 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I count EVERYTHING!! Fruits can have a lot of calories in them, depending on what you consume. A banana has 100 cal. and an apple around 80 or so. So yes, I count everything that goes into my mouth!!
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Yep, I count everything. Fruit has a lot of calories (like many have already stated) and so do some vegetables. Avocados and potatoes have a lot of calories. It all adds up.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I do to keep track of everything else in them.
  • don666car
    don666car Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    a calorie is a calorie no matter where it came from
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Of course. They contain calories.
  • Birdnicaj
    Options
    Yes, I do but I log every thing I eat. I am brutally honest with myself with my logging and will have a lot of random things like "four goldfish crackers" that I stole off of one of my childrens plates, ha. Everything counts, everything adds up when you're counting.

SO TRUE!!! And since its so rare that anyone has veggies with absolutely nothing on them, no salt, no olive oil, NOTHING, you must must track everything. I consider corn and potatoes starches, not veggies, and look at how many calls they have!!! The best to do is track everything, I mean WHY NOT???
  • Drop_it_Like_Its_Hawt
    Options
    I track everything. Fruit tends to be full of sugar, and it's easy to go overboard just assuming that any fruit is "safe" to eat in any portion. And while it's not easy to binge on, say, steamed broccoli, it's still entirely possible. I got to my highest weight by not paying attention or being accountable for what I was putting in my mouth - so now I just account for everything, and leave no room for error. Period.