I don't care about "losing pounds"... Male v Female?

Options
18910111214»

Replies

• AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I like the OP more now after reading all these posts. I think he's handled all the criticism well. You don't have to like shirtless pics OP. And it's ok for you to say it.
  • gchutson
    gchutson Posts: 657
    Options
    I like turtles

Who doesn't??
  • gchutson
    Options
    I like the OP more now after reading all these posts. I think he's handled all the criticism well. You don't have to like shirtless pics OP. And it's ok for you to say it.

YAY!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options

And I never bashed it. I simply made light of it at the tail-end of a much more serious discussion point.

LOL, because you removed the final comment from your original post now... Oh, you.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's me, but I couldn't care less about how many pounds I lose.

I also don't give a flying rat turd about how I look in a mirror.

Please know, I'm not saying anything bad about those who are shedding weight and/or trying to look better. It's great and I support you. However, I'm more focused on getting lean, and fighting better.

I started a string a few days ago that discussed the reasons most people are here... i.e. training for a sport, etc. 95% of the responses revolved around "running." There were a handful of other sports, and a few the said "life."

Is this a "guy thing?"

On a related note... Men who pose shirtless in front of their bathroom mirror, and use their cell phone to take a picture like a 13 year old girl... bother me. ;)

Personally, I am trying to lose weight/get fit for the following reasons (listed in order of importance):

1. My health--I have high blood pressure, insulin resistance, PCOS, and foot/joint pain.
    2. To be able to participate in athletics--I love volleyball, soccer, football, running, etc..., but I haven't been able to do any of those things for a very long time because of my weight.
    3. My bank account--finding lingerie/clothing in a smaller size is not only easier, it's cheaper. My sister in law is a size 5/6, and she can find an entire outfit, comprised entirely of name brand clothing, for less than $20. When I go shopping, I'm fortunate to find ONE article of clothing for that price (Easter dress shopping was a NIGHTMARE this year).
    4. My confidence--I have struggled with being overweight since middle school, and I've been in the morbidly obese category for most of my adult life. My confidence is in the toilet, so much so that I haven't been on a date since my divorce eleven years ago. Not because I haven't been asked, but because I'm uncomfortable with what I see in the mirror everyday. I absolutely CANNOT fathom that any guy would find me attractive because I don't feel attractive. While what you look like may not be important to YOU, OP, it does matter to alot of people, and I don't believe for a second that confidence in one's appearance is strictly a "guy thing". I know plenty of women who feel beautiful no matter what the scale says, and I know plenty of guys (my brothers included) who struggle with confidence because of their weight. However, there is a difference between being conceited and being confident. There are plenty of people on here who post before and afters who OBVIOUSLY are not doing it for the sake of vanity. On the other hand, there are those who's photos scream, "LOOK AT MEEEEE!" I have only posted one before/after so far. I did it, NOT because I wanted the compliments (I don't even remember going back to look at the comments after I posted the photos), I did it because I wanted others out there who started out at 300 or more pounds to know that it CAN be done. You CAN get up off the couch (no matter how much it hurts), throw away the junk food, and get active and healthy. I want to be an inspiration to others, and the only way to do that is to share my story.
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Ok...like I said before, I have decided that I want to tone my body instead of nearly stomp the crap out of my scales every other week. Anybody have and good advice, low fat recipes, exercise routines, I would love to hear it!

How do you "tone" your body? Tanning bed? Self tanner? I'm interested. Tell me more.

Muscle tone--I'm not in the mood for smartass comments right now
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Hmm...I am new to this..I thought losing weight coincided w/ being fit & healthy.
    Sorry for sounding naive but when my weight is less, I feel better, am able to do more physically &
    feel healthier in general. Yes I would be lying if I said I'm not obsessed w/ a smaller size b/c I know my clothes would fit nicely.
    My motivation is to be fit, healthy & be able to run a 5k this year.

Good luck :D I'm nowhere close to that but hopefully soon, if I keep running like a rabid gazelle around the 'hood.
  • gchutson
    Options

And I never bashed it. I simply made light of it at the tail-end of a much more serious discussion point.

LOL, because you removed the final comment from your original post now... Oh, you.

I didn't. A moderator did.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    Options
    [LOL, because you removed the final comment from your original post now... Oh, you.

[/quote]

If I were you, I would have done it after the first page. I think there were like four people who were able to get past that one remark and answer the actual question you asked lol.
  • gchutson
    Options
    [LOL, because you removed the final comment from your original post now... Oh, you.

If I were you, I would have done it after the first page. I think there were like four people who were able to get past that one remark and answer the actual question you asked lol.
    [/quote]

Hahaha.. I know.
  • gchutson
    Options
    See...

Hello,

I just wanted to take a quick moment to let you know we edited your post because it was in violation of the MyFitnessPal guidelines. The guideline in questions reads:

QUOTE:
    6. No Intentionally Hurtful Topics

Topics which are started with the intent to belittle others, either directly named or through enough descriptive commentary to be possibly identified, are prohibited. This includes stalking a poster through the forums, posting about past events gone sour, divulging personal information, or spreading gossip or rumors. At our discretion, any post referring to the behavior or posts of other users of the site will be removed.

The post in question states:

QUOTE:
    Maybe it's me, but I couldn't care less about how many pounds I lose.

I also don't give a flying rat turd about how I look in a mirror.

Please know, I'm not saying anything bad about those who are shedding weight and/or trying to look better. It's great and I support you. However, I'm more focused on getting lean, and fighting better.

I started a string a few days ago that discussed the reasons most people are here... i.e. training for a sport, etc. 95% of the responses revolved around "running." There were a handful of other sports, and a few the said "life."

Is this a "guy thing?"

REMOVED - On a related note... Men who pose shirtless in front of their bathroom mirror, and use their cell phone to take a picture like a 13 year old girl... bother me. ;) REMOVED -

We work very hard to edit posts before deleting them and in this case your post was editable. Please let me know if you have any questions. Thank you in advanced for your cooperation.

Cheers,
    Scott
    MyFitnessPal Staff
  • gchutson
    Options
    Apparently, calling grown men "13 year old little girls" is devastatingly hurtful.

Irony can be so ironic sometimes.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    Options
    Apparently, calling grown men "13 year old little girls" is devastatingly hurtful.

Irony can be so ironic sometimes.

FYI you're also not allowed to complain about moderators. I'm not being sarcastic, it's actually one of the forum rules. You should delete your last post.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Pounds lost is a measure of progress. Yes, I look at it and it is part of my focus. How I look in the mirror? Of course we all want to look and feel better. You are right about this though... the ultimate goal is FITNESS. Getting lean. As for fighting... I am not a fighter but to each his own. Again, I use these things as tools to help quantify progress. The number that means most to me though is body fat percentage.
  • Scott
    Scott Posts: 204 MFP Staff
    Options
    This post has been locked due to numerous guideline violations including:
    1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.
    b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.
    4. Show Respect to All Groups and Individuals

No derogatory references to sex, gender, weight, body-type, ethnicity, religion, or sexual orientation, or endorsement of violence against any person or group, even if couched in humor, will be permitted. This includes expressing stereotypes about any group or community.
    17. No Profane, Vulgar, or Sexually Explicit Language

No explicit, sexual, insulting or vulgar content including expletives, or sexual innuendo, will be permitted. This includes the use of non-alphabetical characters to approximate expletives or other objectionable language. Publicly visible text on MyFitnessPal should be work-place friendly.

We reserve the right to moderate a topic based on the intent of the sexual material it contains. Topics intended to titillate will be removed. Topics with medical or clinical themes related to sex or sexual health may be permitted, at our discretion.

Please keep the forum rules in mind when posting. You can find them at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines.

This post may be deleted at any time.

Cheers,
    Scott
    MyFitnessPal Staff
This discussion has been closed.